Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSpot Decks Review Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spot Decks Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joe Connelly
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Joe Connelly

Setup : cozy with cool guy wheels and trucks

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 7:19 pm

I contacted Filip about getting a custom, and he was super cool and down to do it. he made the deck really fast and didnt get annoyed with me constantly contacting him and changing my mind about the deck lol, it's my first custom so i wanted to make sure everything went smoothly! overall, he was awesome to work with and seems like he's down for any other orders to come up. now, on to the deck!
Spot Decks Review 20150811

First Impressions: i got the deck four days after Filip said he'd send it out, and i was so stoked for it. when i emptied the bubble mailer, i was surprised by how professional Filip's packaging was! the deck came extra bubble wrapped in a baggie that had a laminated like cover to show his logo instead of just a piece of paper stapled to the bag. when i took the deck out, i first noticed how heavy it was. it isnt too heavy to pop, but it is noticeably heavier than the previous deck i was using as my main setup. i was shocked by how strong it was, impressed by how fairly even it was considering the mold is homemade, but also a bit bummed about the plies. my ply combo top to bottom is black, red, yellow, blue, and orange, and they aren't the best in terms of color. the black and orange plies aren't too solid and are pretty faded, and the blue ply looks green. i'd suggest to Filip to try and find some better dyes or a better dyeing process, but all of that stuff is aesthetics, and of course doesn't affect performance.
Spot Decks Review 20150812

Craftmenship: the deck is 34mm x 97mm, and it was Filips first time making a 34mm deck. as i said, the deck is very strong, and very solid. the rounding of the kicks is well done, and they're a bit boxy.. i personally like more "ovalish" kicks but i can get down with some wide kicks too. sanding on the edges is pretty good, they could be great if they were rounded a bit more. the graphic seems professionally done and doesn't look like it's ever gonna peel off, but the lacquer Filip chose isn't the best. it's a bit "sticky" slide wise, especially on wooden ledges. id also recommend to Filip to try some different lacquer. but then again, it's nothing some wax and/or ware down can't fix.
Spot Decks Review 20150813

Performance: it took me a little getting use to, but the deck performs very well. the shape is nearly identical to the deck i was using before, and i just had to warm up to the weight and wide kicks to unlock it's full potential. kick height is mellowish/medium, but they have a lot of pop, especially if you're using y-trucks. the nose is slightly higher than the tail, but you're able to really "feel" both better compared to more medium, medium/high kick decks. the concave is there, but definitely mellow as well. im able to get a nice flick with most of my tricks, with others needing some adjusting on my end.

overall, i am impressed with Filips work, and really enjoy my deck. it was only $17 total with shipping, which is definitely a steal for a deck like this. he could easily charge $20-$25, and if he worked on a few things that i mentioned, i could see these decks going for $30-$35 a piece! definitely pick one up while they're still pretty cheap and give them a try. i can tell he's putting a lot of heart and hard work into his company, and i can see big things happening for him and Spot Decks in the future afro

Last edited by Joe Connelly on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Wes W.
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Wes W.

Setup : Redwolf regular shape 32.5
china wides
flatface user shangs
Cartwheels prototypes
unknown foam tape

Cowply c1 one of a kind split
brts
winks big daddy'z
Sean's bushings
fbs

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Great review, Joe! I've been wanting to try one of these decks since I came back into the scene.
Back to top Go down
Filip Bronola
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Filip Bronola

Companies : Spot Decks
Setup : fingerboard

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks for the awesome review! Will keep in mind your considerations, and to clear things up, the lacquer I have for graphics is different than what I use for the decks if that makes any sense. The graphic lacquer is much weaker, giving it a bit more realistic wear, but I'm going to be looking in to getting a harder, yet also somewhat weak lacquer for the graphics so they don't "stick" the stickiness should go away after you break it in a bit happy . The lacquer for decks that I use, isn't even a lacquer and feels much more different... Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
http://spotdecks.bigcartel.com
meekin
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
meekin

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 2:06 am

nice review! i have one of the ice cream graphics from him and i just couldn't get used to the shape, maybe one of these days!
Back to top Go down
Filip Bronola
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Filip Bronola

Companies : Spot Decks
Setup : fingerboard

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 4:27 am

flower
Quote :
nice review! i have one of the ice cream graphics from him and i just couldn't get used to the shape, maybe one of these days!
I totally understand tongue if you had tried my first gen decks.... they basically had real skateboard kick degrees, something really hard to get used to. XD
Back to top Go down
http://spotdecks.bigcartel.com
Joe Connelly
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Joe Connelly

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 5:01 am

thanks for the feedback guys cheers and yeah Filip i figured it'd be easier to slide once it wore down a bit happy
Back to top Go down
Casin0
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Casin0

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 9:19 am

Filip Bronola wrote:
if you had tried my first gen decks.... they basically had real skateboard kick degrees
i really want a first gen now, as to the review you nailed it joe great read kudos
Back to top Go down
razpotnik
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
razpotnik

Setup : fuzion
china trucks
china wheels

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 10:17 am

gr8 review
Back to top Go down
Fungerboard
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Fungerboard

Setup : Weca w2
BRT 2.0
FlatFace dual duro

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 11:25 am

I like the look of the deck!
Back to top Go down
https://instagram.com/fungerboard/
Wes W.
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Wes W.

Setup : Redwolf regular shape 32.5
china wides
flatface user shangs
Cartwheels prototypes
unknown foam tape

Cowply c1 one of a kind split
brts
winks big daddy'z
Sean's bushings
fbs

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Joe you've persuaded me to get one of these, lol. I really wanna check em out.
Back to top Go down
Joe Connelly
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Joe Connelly

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 4:42 am

thanks again everyone! this was my first review on the site so im glad you guys enjoyed it happy
Back to top Go down
Matthew Taylor
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Matthew Taylor

Setup : Berlinwood, BRTs, WC, Winks, FBS.

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 1:24 pm

Great review
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spot Decks Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot Decks Review   Spot Decks Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Spot Decks Review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1