Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalBearing Wheels Maintenance Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bearing Wheels Maintenance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MisterDank
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
MisterDank

Setup : Devise Deck - 33.5mm Revised Mold
2KR Trucks - 34mm Raw Hangers
O-Ring Bushings
Y3 Wheels - 65D Dual Bearing
OG DK Foam Tape

Bearing Wheels Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Bearing Wheels Maintenance   Bearing Wheels Maintenance EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I searched around the forum a bit for everyone's experience on this topic, but since there are so many different answers - I was hoping that this new thread would finally get us a solid answer.  Here's an example thread that shows the difference in opinions about today's fingerboard bearings:

http://www.fingerboardhq.net/t3094-do-you-clean-you-bearings-and-how

From reading all the other threads, including the one above, my current question is - where exactly are all these bearings from?  Did they have an original, standardized purpose before Mike Schneider and Martin Winkler found out that they'd work great in fingerboard wheels?  From my observations, I figure they were meant for something else back in the day and they're just a mass-produced product that has another purpose.

I'm just generally curious, as I'm wondering how they're constructed.  Do they have lubricants inside the shields, or are they dry?  Do they have some type of bearing cage like YWheels have, or are the balls free? (I think they're cageless by how they chatter)

I know YWheel bearings are ABEC 7 rated and pre-lubricated, so all these questions really only apply to single-bearing wheels like FlatFace, Oak, Joycult, etc.  Hopefully someone knows the history, which will then help me understand what to do when I want to repair a bearing (whether to use bearing lube and what type, if isopropyl alcohol will strip any pre-existing material, etc.)

Hopefully I get some insight, so thanks in advance!

MD
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Bearing Wheels Maintenance   Bearing Wheels Maintenance EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 pm

From what I know most bearings that are used in fingerboard wheels are shieldless. Bearings at these sizes are intended for slot car racing.

Isopropyl alcohol will not eat away at your wheels since the material itself isn't soluble in alcohol.
Back to top Go down
MisterDank
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
MisterDank

O-Ring Bushings
OG DK Foam Tape

PostSubject: Re: Bearing Wheels Maintenance   Bearing Wheels Maintenance EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 am

Ah I see - I would have never thought of slot cars.

My concern with the use of alcohol was the possibility of "drying out" any substance that would be within the bearing itself, not necessarily degrading the urethane.

If they're dry, cage-less (no ball spacer) bearings, I'll probably look into soaking and maybe even lubing them up once they become 'crunchy' and stop rolling as well.
Back to top Go down
InstaFinga
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
InstaFinga

Setup : Homewood 33mm High Mold, Wide BRTs, Oak RV2, Teak Tuning - CaliFingers 33mm, YTrucks, YWheels

PostSubject: Re: Bearing Wheels Maintenance   Bearing Wheels Maintenance EmptyWed Sep 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean them. If they are super dirty you can put them in a plastic bag with alcohol and shake them around. Then, if you would like, then lube them up with a light bearing oil. I actually use yo-yo bearing oil, but pretty much any oil will work. This will not degrade or harm urethane or plastic wheels. I do it to all my wheels. There are no substances or chemicals used on these bearings from the factory (I know, I've ordered some). So feel free to add your own oil or use them without.
Back to top Go down
MisterDank
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
MisterDank

O-Ring Bushings
OG DK Foam Tape

PostSubject: Re: Bearing Wheels Maintenance   Bearing Wheels Maintenance EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 12:38 am

Cool thanks! I trust your experience with them. I have Bones Speed Cream to use in case the time comes for a cleaning. All my mini bearings seem to be fine for now except my FlatFace BRR Editions, where 2/4 of them were always a little gritty from the start.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bearing Wheels Maintenance   Bearing Wheels Maintenance Empty

Back to top Go down

Bearing Wheels Maintenance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1