Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalHow can I get a consistent/even shape?  Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How can I get a consistent/even shape?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
forthe48
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
forthe48

Companies : Heartwood FB
Setup : One of my own heartwood decks, some ancient BRTs, and FF BRR Ed wheels.

How can I get a consistent/even shape?  Empty
PostSubject: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Hey there everyone - I've been working on making decks for a couple of weeks now, and for the most part I feel like I've learned a lot and I'm doing pretty well as far as making progress goes.

But I just can't seem to figure out how to get a good, consistent shape. As of right now, I've just been molding the decks, then setting another board on top and trackng it, then cutting it and sanding it. But doing things this way just aren't getting me solid results or consistent results.

Another problem I'm having is that I can't get my truck holes even - again, this is probably because I'm tracing another deck.

You all here in the community have a lot more experience than I do, and that's why I've come to ask for tips and advice on how I can get past my shape problems.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
http://www.forthe48.org
gmill199
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Setup : Devise 33mm
China tape
China wides
Teak tuning
Solidfeye wheels

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm

What tools are you using like are you using a hand drill or a drill press to drill the holes and what are you using to shape the decks like a dremel or a rotary bench sander?
Back to top Go down
forthe48
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
forthe48

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm drilling the holes by hand right now which is a no no, I know I should be using a drill press. And right now, I'm cutting the boards out into a rough shape and then hand-sanding with sandpaper to get them to Match what outlines I have made.
Back to top Go down
gmill199
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

China tape
China wides
Teak tuning
Solidfeye wheels

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 11:30 pm

A drill press with help a lot with getting the holes right and a rotary bench sander is what I use. I found mine on craigslist for $30. I would look on craigslist for tools if your looking to save some money
Back to top Go down
forthe48
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
forthe48

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 am

Awesome, thanks very much for the help. I'm moving into an apartment soon so I don't think I'll be able to get any of that stuff just yet until I get a proper workspace, but I really appreciate the help. I think the biggest thing for me is to get the bench sander - that'll help a lot.

My only real problem left is that I'll have to get some kind of mold or shape guide so that I get a consistent shape and screw holes. Tracing another deck just isn't a good way to do it for me, hopefully it'll work out. I really appreciate the help with the sander though, because I wasn't sur what kind of sander would be best.
Back to top Go down
gmill199
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

China tape
China wides
Teak tuning
Solidfeye wheels

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 1:44 am

If you really want good consistent molds and an accurate template get an nfb mold. They do cost $225 but they r the only mold I know of that will give you a consistant shape
Back to top Go down
forthe48
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
forthe48

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 2:45 am

Right on.  I guess for now I'll just try as hard as I can to get a good product for everyone,  and if I sell enough boards I'll buy an NFB mold haha happy

Also, here's an edit: I really think my shapes are getting better, at the least. I'll throw a link in the post to some of the boards I sanded tonight - just ignore the defects like truck holes, etc. These are just old, previously made boards that I sanded down into a better shape tonight.

https://i.imgur.com/KjLmwem.jpg

To anyone viewing the thread - what do you think of those shapes?
Back to top Go down
Linkan
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Linkan

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am

forthe48 wrote:
Right on.  I guess for now I'll just try as hard as I can to get a good product for everyone,  and if I sell enough boards I'll buy an NFB mold haha happy

Also, here's an edit: I really think my shapes are getting better, at the least. I'll throw a link in the post to some of the boards I sanded tonight - just ignore the defects like truck holes, etc. These are just old, previously made boards that I sanded down into a better shape tonight.

https://i.imgur.com/KjLmwem.jpg

I think the nose and tail are way to pointy, should be alot rounder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/linkanklinkan
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 am

forthe48 wrote:

There is a dedicated thread for feedback on homemade decks --> CLICK ME! pirat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can I get a consistent/even shape?    How can I get a consistent/even shape?  Empty

Back to top Go down

How can I get a consistent/even shape?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1