Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalNeed help with my Ollie!  Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need help with my Ollie!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Weiner Dogs
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Weiner Dogs

Need help with my Ollie!  Empty
PostSubject: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 12:55 am

My first concern is my approach to it. I'm not sure if it will leave me at a disadvantage for learning new tricks, but I tend to leave the tips of my fingers hanging off the edge of the board a bit, instead of how people usually keep their fingers within the bounds of the grip tape.

My second issue is with landing the ollies. I can get some decent pop, but landing the ollies, my back finger tends to come off the board. And if it doesn't come off, I feel like my fingers are all over the place on the board when I land instead of being close to where I started.

Any pointers or what I might be doing to cause this to happen? I really don't want to keep learning and reinforcing bad habits, so I wanted to come straight to the well-informed on this. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 1:17 am

Here you go! Taylor got it covered in this tutorial and explains the details. If you havent already, you should really check out the whole series. It covers a lot of the common stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feiip4-q2RE
Back to top Go down
Weiner Dogs
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Weiner Dogs

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 2:00 am

Excellent deal, I'll definitely check that series out. But on my first original point, would my finger placement for ollieing currently put me at a disadvantage?
Back to top Go down
KuhPopie
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
KuhPopie

Setup :
my setup seriously does resemble a pickle

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 am

As far as I can tell, you are placing both fingers too far forward. I use the finger tips almost. You don't want to be using the second knuckle if you get what I am saying. You should use the first part of your finger that has the nail on it.

The reason for this is because even if you can get your ollie to work the way you described, flip tricks will be really hard, if not impossible, to do with that current finger placement.
Back to top Go down
KapitalJ
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
KapitalJ

Companies : Kapital Krete
Setup :
Woob ~Relax~
BRT's
Witchcrafts
Dual Oaks
Cleen Sheets

Level Up
32mm BRT
Witchcrafts
Joycults
ToeJam

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 10:43 am

KuhPopie wrote:
You should use the first part of your finger that has the nail on it.

Bahahah!!! this made me laugh... sounds funny..
But good advice.

Sorry its early and I'm not done my coffee yet!!
Back to top Go down
Weiner Dogs
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Weiner Dogs

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 12:58 pm

I should have clarified, when I say I leave my fingers hanging off a bit, I mean just the tips of my fingers are hanging off the board, not all the way up to the knuckle. Now i've been trying to mimic the form of the more proficient fingerboarders that i've seen and i'm failing miserably and keeping the board going straight and having my fingers land in a relatively similar position to what i started... i feel like my fingers just aren't sticking to the board, even though i feel like i'm mimic'ing a "foot" ollie pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

Setup : Woob & Brutal

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 5:51 pm

I used to do the same, but I get loads more control just using the tips of my fingers placed on the board, makes flip tricks a a lot easier I find.
Back to top Go down
Matthew Taylor
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Matthew Taylor

Setup : Berlinwood, BRTs, WC, Winks, FBS.

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 5:55 pm

If you put your hand back and relax it helps a load. You want the finger tip in the centre of the board I find.
Back to top Go down
Snorkel
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Snorkel

Companies : FlatFace, Krom
Setup : Emanent Battle of the Beast deck, YTrucks White X3, Witchcraft bushings, Oak Wheels RV Original Whites, Riptape.

PostSubject: Relax!   Need help with my Ollie!  EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 11:03 pm

I'd go for a more laid back style for me. It took me a while to learn an ollie, even with a tech deck. Keep your fingers loose and moves precise. After frequent practice, you'll be doing ollies no problem! bounce
Back to top Go down
Jack B.
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jack B.

Setup : Berlinwood 33.3 Low
Winkler classics
TKY
BRT 2.0 Super Silver
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 8:27 am

yes dont put your tips off of the edge, keep them on the board using the tips for everything you do. This will make it easier for some tricks and it looks a lot less tacky and shitty
Back to top Go down
WilliamMcLaughlin
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
WilliamMcLaughlin

Setup : Cowply C2
flatface turquoise wheels
Brt 2.0 super silver
Flatface Rhom bushings

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 3:14 pm

I started exactly how you did
its all in the practise and eventually you will be able to move your fingers down...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Ollie!    Need help with my Ollie!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with my Ollie!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1