Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gonzoskate
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be Empty
PostSubject: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:16 am

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, I love skateboarding, and I just got back into fingerboarding. I just wrote a HUGE post about my experience with 4CFB and unfortunately it got erased because of an unintentional tap on my laptop mousepad. So I'm going to sum it up.

I just got to the point where I can consistently land kickflips and a few grinds and slides with my techdeck, so I decided to move up to a real wooden fingerboard. I did some research during which i saw a video by "Sid aka vicious274", in the video he gave 4CFB a great review especially to beginners who wanted to upgrade. I naively thought "hey this guy said they're ok so they must be ok" and being that I only had about 30 dollars to spend in total, and despite hearing about their bad quality from other sources etc., I decided to give them a try.

Upon receiving my package I anxiously and excitedly pulled out the 4CFB box. Immediate dissapointment. I could clearly see through the clear plastic of the front of the box that the holes for the trucks on the deck were drilled poorly. They did not align properly, to the point where I could tell without having to look closely at it, and as I had guessed afterwards, one of the trucks did not fit with all the screws in because of the poorly drilled holes. I could only get 3 screws in, and if you looked through the fourth hole you could clearly see the truck hole did not align with the remaining deck hole. Pretty upset, I had to basically drill out the 4th hole a little bigger for the 4th screw to fit. After an hour or so, a couple bruised thumbs, and a bad taste in my mouth, I had my 4CFB set up.

After skating it around for a bit I can say it felt WAY better than my tech deck and I can kickflip with it almost every try. That being said, I'm still very disappointed with what I got. I got sent a "complete" that did'nt even fit together with the parts it came with. It felt like I was building some f*cked up model rather than setting up a fingerboard. I feel like setting up your board should be fast and easy, and fun! Not the case with 4CFB. What I received may be a canadian maple deck, but with obvious poor craftsmanship. And even with the price of $24.74 with free shipping, I still totally feel ripped off.

Again, I only got this as a temporary first fingerboard until I get better and eventually upgrade, but now I'm going to be getting a new one much sooner. so to anyone reading this wondering about 4CFB, i would say follow everyones advice and order a fingerboard from a more reputable company. You may have to save a couple extra bucks before you can afford it, but i bet you will be glad you did.

PS: I'm currently looking for a new fingerboard lol. Can anyone recommend me a good medium concave/high kick complete? Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
coleybob01
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
coleybob01

Setup : board
trucks
wheels

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:46 am

4 corner decks are from china
Back to top Go down
gonzoskate
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:57 am

yes, I realize this, I was just looking for a cheap first real wood fingerboard to move up to from tech deck. i just wanted something at least somewhat decent, china or not, to fingerboard with that met my budget at the time. needless to say i knew it was a gamble, but i learned from it and i will not buy from them or any similar brand again. i think the most important point that ive seen other people make on the subject of 4CFB and other china fingerboards is that they dont support the scene, which is why i feel ripped off. im sure they could care less about fingerboarding, to them it is just a cheap product to sell to make themselves money. the real reputable fingerboard companies im sure put a lot more care into crafting their decks because chances are i bet a lot of them enjoy fingerboarding themselves.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:09 am

Hey man if you ever need help picking up a new set up just let me know. I could point you in the direction of some really affordable products that will forsure be a good buy.
Back to top Go down
gonzoskate
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:13 am

Thanks I appreciate it! Im looking to order one in the next couple weeks, and affordable is definitely the name of the game ;]. I just want something of good quality with high kicks/medium concave, from a company i feel good about giving my money too :]
Back to top Go down
Xavier
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Xavier

Setup : Whats a setup

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:16 am

Check out some of the companies in the scrolling banner.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:20 am

gonzoskate wrote:
Thanks I appreciate it! Im looking to order one in the next couple weeks, and affordable is definitely the name of the game ;]. I just want something of good quality with high kicks/medium concave, from a company i feel good about giving my money too :]
Well I'd for sure check out No Comply dude. You can get some china trucks and some cheap bearing wheels there and then Brian C and a few other people sell some sick decks for a killer price.
Back to top Go down
gonzoskate
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:40 am

all the companies in the scrolling banner look sweet, i couldnt find any high kick boards that were in stock though, and thanks for the heads up Ryan, i went to the no comply site but it seems to be down. does it work for you?
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 8:55 am

4c are china as has been said.

can I make a point though? Like, if just one hole was off on any deck, I wouldn't care THAT much. maybe I read the wrong and trucks were wonky and stuff, but if they were correct just one hole not right, that's not TOO bad for a cheap deck. not that I condone 4c in any way, but I'm just saying that's not the end of the world as trucks will work absolutely fine with 2 or 3 screws in.

high kick medium concave decks don't really exist except china decks, however if you want a super high quality china deck that's refinished with a wear graphic, made with much nicer and stronger woods, and has beautiful lacquer put on it after (graphic, stamp, and lacquer are done by bollie rather than in china) go pick up a bollie deck.

your only other options are going with something a little less crazy.. no comply m2 wides are probably the highest kick decks out there with concave, there's high kick decks like the AFX K deck, but that's 0 concave. AND there's evolves, but you cant get them anywhere really sad
Back to top Go down
Jayden H.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Jayden H.

Setup : FF G15 Zeph Engraved
FBS(duh?)
Wide Brts w/green witchcraft bushings
FF BRR edition Turquoise

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:24 am

Temples and Pures man, Ryan(Temple) just came out with a killer mold, and Brian(Pure) has some fantastic decks. May not fit your preference, but they'll definitely fit your budget.

Also, I've heard some good things about Unique decks, and they're medium kick/medium-deep concave. Which will MAYBE be the closest you can get. I don't know about a lot of decks out there. Check the Unique site here.

Jay decks have some Gnarly kicks as well, and at an affordable price(ranging from $20-$28 depending on what kind of bottom ply you want). Check the Jay site out here.

Also, Kerry has written reviews on decks, I often find myself reading these for hours trying to see what my next deck will be. His wording is brilliant. Check his reviews out here.

Hope I've helped in any way, good luck on finding a deck suitable for you man!

Last edited by Jayden H. on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tomi
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 am

If you want to get a high kick deck, I would recommend getting a mitt deck, they have some hardcore shapes. http://mittskateboards.com

Check lovedrug and zink decks too, they have medium/deepish concave with medium kicks.

Zink decks are in stock at lovedrug fingerboards now: http://www.freewebstore.org/lovedrugstore/Zink_Deck_-_32mm/p1132749_7252628.aspx and if you PM Mikkel S on this forum (he is the owner of lovedrug) he might make you a custom deck for you for 13 dollars.

I've got a zink deck too and I highly recommend picking one up!

Hardcore decks aside, Pure, Temple and OG decks are really good decks with low price. Not sure if you want to buy them though as their shapes are pretty mellow.
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 am

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Homewood! They have pretty much every shape going, haha!
I'm pretty sure the M9 is steep?

But yeah, as Tomi said, Mitt also have some kind of steep decks! I ride a GV which is steeper than most decks, and I love it! Mitt are really cheap too, and CNC'd, so they have great craftsmanship happy
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 1:31 pm

4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be 0

This is a Zink, made by Daniel Marin on this forum.
I have a few in stock on my webshop:
http://www.freewebstore.org/lovedrugstore/Zink_Deck_-_32mm/p1132749_7252628.aspx

If i had to describe the shape of a Zink i'd say medium concave and medium/high kicks.

I don't really believe in the term "beginner decks". There is good decks and there is bad decks. All at different prices. With a Zink you have a deck that will last you a good while. It's $19.90 which is a steal for such a deck.
Back to top Go down
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Jayden H. wrote:
Temples and Pures man, Ryan(Temple) just came out with a killer mold, and Brian(Pure) has some fantastic decks. May not fit your preference, but they'll definitely fit your budget.

Also, I've heard some good things about Unique decks, and they're medium kick/medium-deep concave. Which will MAYBE be the closest you can get. I don't know about a lot of decks out there. Check the Unique site here.

Jay decks have some Gnarly kicks as well, and at an affordable price(ranging from $20-$28 depending on what kind of bottom ply you want). Check the Jay site out here.

And also my sponsor OG decks has a pretty medium mold, so I'd definitely recommend those too! For only $15 bucks shipped, it's a steal cool

Also, Kerry has written reviews on decks, I often find myself reading these for hours trying to see what my next deck will be. His wording is brilliant. Check his reviews out here.

Hope I've helped in any way, good luck on finding a deck suitable for you man!
Back to top Go down
gonzoskate
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Thank you so much for all the input everyone, it is much appreciated! I may end up going with something a little more mellow in the way of kicks/concave if need be, im sure it wouldnt take me too long to get used to. Either way, I appreciate the advice once again, im stoked for my next fingerboard purchase!
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 6:38 am

Med concave/high kick complete?

Tech Deck Expert Sk8 complete
Close Up G5 High Concave complete / Close Up G4 complete - I recommend buying an extra set of Close Up bearing wheels with either complete
Northwoods FB - add deck, trucks and wheels separately
Bollie New Shape complete
Evolve - Evolve have 3 molds that are all quite hardcore although finding a distributor with them in stock right now may be difficult. If you do find one, the distributor is likely to have all other components needed for a complete.

Edit: Also, I recommend Firefox browser. You can just click back and your writing should be in the box still. If it wasn't that type of accident, you can still just use the Lazarus extension. It can save your form text and stuff automatically.

You should add pictures to your review but it was well written.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

Companies : Mars Hill Fingerboarding
Setup : Compiny 33.5 Final Test Deck
ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions
Substance Single Bearings

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 1:56 pm

When I first started buying wood fingerboards I assumed that low concave would feel weird and I wouldn't enjoy using them, but honestly they're so much nicer to use.

Just my two cents happy
Back to top Go down
Peter.A
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Peter.A

Companies : J.F.S
Setup : Hashtag Peter.A signature deck
Snow tape
J.F.S black bearing wheels
Redawn gold trucks wide

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Check out www.northwoodsfb.com. Amazing decks.
Back to top Go down
sebastiaanKruik
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
sebastiaanKruik

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:16 am

SeamusMcFlurry wrote:
When I first started buying wood fingerboards I assumed that low concave would feel weird and I wouldn't enjoy using them, but honestly they're so much nicer to use.

Just my two cents happy

this.

and check unite rieviews for a good deck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be   4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be Empty

Back to top Go down

4CFB - pretty much exactly how everyone makes them out to be

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1