Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGator fingerboard mold. 2013 Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gator fingerboard mold. 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:58 pm

was doing my regular ehbay search and came across this.

it states it has 30 deg kicks (which if true) is f*&$ing ridiculous. but going by the picture it looks ALOT lower and possibly usable. (i know pictures can be deceiving so they may actually be 30 deg) 

still. locating pins and a good price. for anyone looking to see if they might like deck making it seems a cheap option rather than spending hundreds of pounds on the cad route, and then you might not even like what you made.

they also make a book 'how to make a fingerboard' which i thought was quite funny. ive actually been thinking about doing one myself and putting in it all i have gleaned and all my techniques/materials ive used in the past.....i reckon i could do a hardback version tongue

anyways im in no way promoting them, (well i guess i am) but the mold seems alright, from a person with an interest in deck making, and doesnt want to spends all their pocket money for the year.

what do you guys reckon?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wooden-fingerboard-skateboard-Gator-mold-GM1230HP-tech-finger-board-deck-toy-/230993417810?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item35c847d652

Last edited by blosom on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tom B.
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Tom B.

Setup : Weca Tie-Dye
BRT Wides
FF BRT Ed.
Slim & Catchy
Witchcrafts

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 pm

That actually does look decent, I wish they had a side view of it though. That way you could tell how steep the kicks are
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:18 pm

I actually bought one awhile back, but my mold never came and I had to tell paypal to get my money back.(I ordered from the site)
Im pretty sure I am the only one who has ever had a problem with not getting the product I ordered from Gator, because there are loads of unboxings from people who bought from Gator.

But I think its a great mold for someone just starting. And like Tom said, a side view would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Hmmm... https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MCrdMPwfyFo#at=78
You can sort of see the side profile on there, but when he puts the mold together the shape doesn't look like it fits together perfectly?
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:27 pm

From what I can see the product number tells what gegrees the kicks are. In GM1230HP the number 30 stands for 30 degree kicks. In GM1720H the number 20 stands for 20 degree kicks and so on. So it should be a safe bet that the kicks are 30 degrees if stated so in the description.

But yeah, all of these molds are alright for someone wanting to learn how to make their own decks and use a pretty standard shape mold on a budget.. happy

Kinda weird choise for the design of the locator arm and groove, and maybe not optimal. But I guess it was the easy way out when having trouble with plastic pins chacking. But for the price who really cares, it does its job for someone wanting to learn how to make their own decks..for sure!
Back to top Go down
callumfb95
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
callumfb95

Setup : Blossom 32.5
Trucks
Oaks

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 pm

my friend has this mold and it works really well! his decks are always solid/well pressed
Back to top Go down
eddie Victory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:46 pm

my girlfreind bought me one as a christmas present an its not actually that bad atall, i have a couple of second hand metal molds that i have purchased an they are considerably better to use,
I think the rubber that the gator mold is made out of kinda warped after a few uses because i held it together with 3 G clamps instead of putting it in a vice,

if you just wanna mess about an make sum decks for fun and your freinds like i do, then its worth the money.

I certainly wouldnt recomend ordering one, thinking up a snazzy company name an making a company thread on here before it arrives though......No
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Danny Hynam wrote:
Hmmm... https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MCrdMPwfyFo#at=78
You can sort of see the side profile on there, but when he puts the mold together the shape doesn't look like it fits together perfectly?

That's because the truckhole pins are in the way when there isnt a deck in.

What i don't understand is that he uses a drillpress when he is just holding the deck in his hands anyway.. That's a sure way to get shitty holes.
And damn he is full of himself in general... "The best mold out there" my ass..

It looks to be a good start for a beginner, but then again, i'd always advice beginners to make their own mold. If you start working with less professional tools you will become a better deck maker, cause it is you doing the job, not your mold.
Back to top Go down
eddie Victory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 3:08 pm

since its a boring sunday afternoon i dug out my gator mold, an 6 out of the 8 decks i have made with it an took some photos

Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 Sam_3211

in this picture you can see how incredibly inconsistent the shape of my decks that i made with it are

Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 Sam_3212

i must add that i have no intention of ever making a company, i just do this as a hobby and i am not naturaly gifted at craftsman ship but i have certainly got a few hours of fun outta it!
Back to top Go down
jakefrottypottysnotty
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Companies : Labyrinth Fingerboards
Setup : Fingerplant Plain Deck, TD Longboard Trucks tuned with Blackriver Medium Bushings, and Winkler Wheels BRR Edition Black

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:07 am

Well, you could get the Gator Mold Kit on their website for only 50 bucks! They have a bunch of shapes.
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 am

The only thing that is kind of a turn off for me is that when I saw a deck that was produced by one of their molds. It looked like \__/ .

Where the deck slants down and then is flat on the bottom of the deck and then slants up again.

I usually don't like decks like that. The concave in my opinion should be a smooth curve not a series of straight lines. 

But I love how he advertises his products. Usually it goes like this "This mold made BY me AWESOME!!!" LOL got to love that.
Back to top Go down
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 10:13 am

these molds are very "cool". I have been making mold for over 14 years!!! the reason we know this is because our molds are better than bondo mold (tougher)
Back to top Go down
DarraghK
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
DarraghK

Setup : Blosom 32.5mm.
Td longboard trucks.
Flatface G7d's white.

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 am

JakeC wrote:
I actually bought one awhile back, but my mold never came and I had to tell paypal to get my money back.(I ordered from the site)
Im pretty sure I am the only one who has ever had a problem with not getting the product I ordered from Gator, because there are loads of unboxings from people who bought from Gator.

But I think its a great mold for someone just starting. And like Tom said, a side view would be nice.

My cousin bought one before aswell and it never came, he just got a refund.
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 pm

they don't look terrible shocked
I'd rather get a super mellow shape if I was ever to dabble in making decks for fun (would never start selling them, I suck at making things XD)
Back to top Go down
Flippedoutfb
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Flippedoutfb

Companies : FingerPrintRamps.
Setup : 32mm yellowwood wasp deck,Ytruck32mm x4 ed whitecolor with oak acid green wheels.derik j handmade 32mm deck with brr32mm trucks ff brr edition wheels.30mm,Yellowood dl headset graphic,blackriver trucks,FF G7O dual wheels.THose are my main 3 sets at the moment.

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 pm

I have a g17 that has low kicks and med concave and it is decent no problems really but u have to pin the hell out of it for anything wider than a 30mm deck. I also drilled holes in it so they are the same every time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gator fingerboard mold. 2013   Gator fingerboard mold. 2013 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gator fingerboard mold. 2013

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1