Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalMaking wheels? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Making wheels?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Toasty
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toasty

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 am

I decided to try to make my own wheels, so I taped the bottom of a straw and poured some urethane into it. When it dries, I'm hoping that I'll have a tube of urethane that I can cut and shape into a set of wheels. I dont have a lathe, so I'm going to try using sharp knives, drill bits, and sandpaper, and the rod will be placed into a drill. Does anyone think it'll work?
Also, I'm hoping to make them single bearing wheels. Any help will be greatly appreciated., especially from people who make wheels themselves.
Back to top Go down
Twest
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Twest

Setup : Main:
-BeastPants
-Brts
-Winklers
-Witchcrafts
-Slim and Catchy

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 6:22 am

I've never heard of the technique using a straw, but i don't see why it wouldn't work. For me, whenever i try experiments like this they work to a point. I usually don't have the patience to keep on working at it until i can perfect it. So my advice to you is to keep at it. Try to perfect your own technique of both creating and crafting your wheels. I think this will make your wheels and unique and different than anything on the market.
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm

This is probably the only tutorial on how to make wheels.
Back to top Go down
Tyler
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Tyler

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 pm

you probably should cut the straw with the urethane in it, because urethane might be a little hard to cut when it's dried. i wouldn't know, but that sounds like it could work. maybe i'll try this someday soon
Back to top Go down
movin-like-burnie
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
movin-like-burnie

Companies : Random Shit Inc.
Setup : New main. 2023 we on new shit now

32mm remio catfish saltwater
32mm brtz with level ups
Sadood spitfire 99A wheels
Doom lagoon paperz

Main.
Stock 2 Beastpants smoking cat.
Brt widez/Oringz
Mini Oaks
24k gold board rails
Fbs

Main #2
Aphlikshun (cruiser shape)
Brt widez/chubz
Rainbow Oak RV1s
Decade board rails
Fbs

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 3:57 pm

if I had a lathe id be making my own wheels (I did 3 and a half years of machining at my school)
Back to top Go down
Toasty
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toasty

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 4:03 pm

skatemaster231 wrote:
*video*
This is probably the only tutorial on how to make wheels.
I saw this before, and that's how I got the idea of making a rod out of urethane. Thanks anyway happy
Tyler wrote:
urethane might be a little hard to cut when it's dried.
Yeah, that stuff gets hard. Makes a good finish for wood too.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Very interesting idea with the straw. Can you keep us updated with pictures if you haven't already tried? Another way to do it is get a metal mold 3d printed and pour in your material like you've done with the straw.
Back to top Go down
Toasty
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toasty

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm going to use a straw as a mold for now. I'll post pictures when I can.
Back to top Go down
Cassoday
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Setup : Berlinwood, Riptape tape and bushings, Bollie Wheels and Trucks.

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 5:05 am

I'm curious here. Would a bondo mold work? Say I have a set of wheel with the bearings popped out. Could I possibly make a mold out of that pour urethane into it, and then place the bearing in?

Back to top Go down
Toasty
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toasty

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 5:35 am

I honestly have no idea, but it would probably be harder to shape them. Though a mold without a hole in the bottom would be easier to use and you wouldn't have a long strand of urethane hanging at the bottom. Seriously, I can make urethane spaghetti.
But it would also be harder to remove the urethane. With a straw, I can just cut it out when it dries. Unfortunately, it takes a long time for it to dry like that, whereas if I were to spread a thin layer on a piece of wood, it would dry in a few hours.

*update*
Unfortunately, I dont think the straw thing is going to work for casting urethane, but I may be able to do it with silicone and make bushings. I might be able to buy a rod of urethane and try to make some wheels out of that. Anyone know if I can get them at a hardware store like Lowe's?

Last edited by Toasty on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
Back to top Go down
Toasty
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toasty

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 4:27 am

Sorry for the double post, but the previous one is really long and I'd like to get some more advice :3

What other materials can I use for wheels? I know that some wheels are made from delrin, construction plastic, and I think some are nylon, but what other materials can I use? I'd like it if they made a squeak during powerslides and such. I just love that sound.
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:13 pm

I know you can use Teflon for wheels.
Back to top Go down
HotcheeseFB
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
HotcheeseFB

Setup : Berlinwood
Bollie Trucks + Wheels
Riptape

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 9:19 am

Put up some pictures of the wheels when you're done. Will be very interesting to see how they turn out!
Back to top Go down
Joe
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Joe

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Dude this post is from July, why bump ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Making wheels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making wheels?   Making wheels? Empty