Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalWhy you should use ramps over stairs in parks Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks Empty
PostSubject: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 am

Recently I've been sitting down and designing fingerboard parks. I'm doing this just with pencil and paper and I'm simply just drawing out the parks and imagining if they would be fun or not to skate.

While doing this I noticed something about stairs in fingerboard parks. Although stairs look wicked awesome and are a blast to do tricks down I believe that they impose limitations on the park and make the park itself less useful.

So I then ask the question...

Which is better to have in your park, a stair set or a ramp?

Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks P8130026_zpsa6746560

To try and answer this I'm comparing the most simple stair set and the most simple bank ramp and nothing else. Now, lets see what these two obstacles have to offer.

Stair Set

* Trick down them

* Possibly trick up them (depending on their size and height)

* Possibly ride down them, but its bumpy

* Trick then stall on one of the stairs and trick out

Now lets look at the ramp

Basic Ramp

* Trick down it

* Trick up it

* Ride down and up it

* Ride up it and trick and land on it and roll down it

* Use it as a kickers and launch off of it

* Do a trick from before the ramp and land it on the transition and go down it

As you can see. It seems as if stair sets have limited functionality when compared to normal ramps. It seems like you can simply do more things with a regular ramp than you can a stair set.

So maybe by putting ramps instead of stairs in your park you could possibly increase the usability of your park and possibly increase the fun factor too simply because you can do more with ramps than stairs and thus get more out of your park.

Stair sets seem to sometimes break the flow of the park because you can't just roll up them like ramps. Some stairs you can ollie onto which is bearable, but when the stair set gets bigger and bigger it becomes harder and harder to ollie up it thus reducing flow in a park.

I did find that there is a way to have stairs though and not break the flow of your park. This can be done in certain places and its accomplished by a stair and ramp combination. The best of both worlds!

Here in the picture below you can see this stair and ramp combination. In this situation you can get all of the benefits of the stairs and ramp without the stairs breaking the flow of the park.

Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks P8130027_zps146b101f

So if you really want to have some stairs then use a combo like this one an order to not loose any functionality in your park.

happy
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 8:24 am

Stairs look sick as fuck though
Back to top Go down
Will Sparrow-Saunt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Will Sparrow-Saunt

Companies : findlocalhotmoms.com
Setup : Weca (what else?)
BRTs
FF Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 8:39 am

stairs look more interesting and give a street vibe to a session or video
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/flippyfingerboards
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 am

You are trying to make science out of the fact that you cant ride up and down a stairset?

Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 9:59 am

Session markers were invented for a reason oh wait.....
Back to top Go down
Flop-E
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
Flop-E

Setup : Temple
BRT
FF G5 BRR ED
Rip S'n'M

Temple
YTruckX4
Oaks
FBS (recycled)

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down
callumfb95
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
callumfb95

Setup : Blossom 32.5
Trucks
Oaks

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Stairs do look sick as fuck I fid it fun tricking off stairs but seems weird just of drops
Back to top Go down
James Johnson
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
James Johnson

Setup : Weca
BRT
JJ
FBS
FF teams

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 7:34 pm

i would go stairs personally
Back to top Go down
Dylan
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dylan

Setup : Woobs on woobs

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 7:44 pm

why don't you make a bank with the cuts of stairs on the backside then you have stairs and banks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/toxicjoke
SamW
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
SamW

Companies : all of them

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 pm

make a euro gap with stairs at the top.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/SammyWilken?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks   Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks Empty

Back to top Go down

Why you should use ramps over stairs in parks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1