Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGetting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Voided
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Setup : Flatface G14
Flatface G6 White Bearing Wheels
Flatface Dump Trucks
Teak Tuning 2.0 Midnight (Purple/Black)
Riptape

Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  Empty
PostSubject: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 6:55 pm

So ive been playing around with a tech deck i bought from target, Haha yeah im 21, but man this is fun! Im really wanting to get a wooden fingerboard, but my budget is super tight aince ive been shopping for christmas for my family. Im really wanting to get a nice setup, good for flip tricks and grinds, i wont be doing much vert, but i just cant decide on what to get. Ive seen yellowood, berlin wood, flat face, and the P-Rep Boards. Can anyone help me out on getting a complete setup (doesnt have to be setup i can do that myself, complete as in everything needed for a board) id just really like some opinions and suggestions, are the 20$ boards anything like a 100$ board? Is it worth my time/money to save up until after christmas and buy a more expensive board setup like a yellowood or flat face setup? (Berlin wood is out of the question) any feedback is appreciated! I really interested in getting into this hobby, i used to be a pretty good on a skateboard until i was involved in a bad car wreck, i was hit from behind while i was at a dead stop and ive not be able to get onto a skateboard since. It feels good to be able to land kickflips and grinds on a little tech deck, it feels like im skating again, so id love to eventually get a nice setup so i can really get into the sport.

Thanks guys!!
- Voided
Back to top Go down
Baby Face Bubsy
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Baby Face Bubsy

Setup : Beast Pants
brr trucks/ wc bushing
FF brr ed wheels
no comply foamy g

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 7:20 pm

I definetly recommend getting a flatface, their completes are amazing and will be perfect.But It's a lot of money to put down so maybe you want to start off with a cheap china complete like one from 4corner fingerboards or star fingerboarding just to be sure that you like the hobby.Just my 2 cents but if you want to go all out I recommend Flat face.
Back to top Go down
Couch982
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Couch982

Companies : SIK Finger CO.
Setup : FF G14, Ytrucks X4, Ywheels, slim tape.

FF G12, Ytrucks X3, Oak RV, slim tape.

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey Voided, welcome to FBHQ.

I have been fingerboarding since I was 13ish. I haven't been able to buy the nice stuff till more recently, so I cant give the best advice like some of the other guys on here since I haven't had a lot of different high end stuff.

I personally think the flatface g14 deck is a nice deck (haven't tried a lot of the decks out there). I would suggest to stay away from some cheep decks. I feel like a few cheep ones I have.. had no pop.

I would look for 32mm wide trucks for sure. Tech Deck Independent longboard trucks are 32mm and the price of a tech deck longboard is about 10-12 usd. they are the best 32mm truck under 30.00 usd. imo.

The china bearing wheels work just fine for getting started. they cost about 5.00 usd. but since I got better wheels I will never use chinas again. the wheels I used for a long time are -Oaks rv- they are a single bearing wheel. they have lasted years and still kicking. ( I am waiting on Ywheels in the mail right now).

Grip tape that works is a personal preference. I like rip tape and pure.

If you just got a blank deck with china wheels and Tech Deck Independent longboard trucks would cost about 20.00 usd or less.

I personally think the best budget board would be some kind of name brand deck (FF g14 personal fav.) Tech Deck Independent longboard trucks and some kind of bearing wheel better than china wheels(ywheels or oaks) that's looking at about 70.00 usd.

Im sure some one could suggest better but that's my opinion based on what I have used.
hope this helps.

here is a list of common trucks
http://www.fingerboardhq.net/t7646-what-the-truck-xi-s-reference-table-of-fingerboard-trucks
Back to top Go down
girlfingerboarder
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
girlfingerboarder

Setup : Whatever i feel like

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Hell yeah dude. I would def get a flat face g14. I've tried many decks and the g14 was my first wooden deck when I was getting back into fnigerboarding. I wasn't to much of a fan of Yellowood.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/girlfingerboarder1
jackson
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
jackson

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Get something semi nice. Buy a nice deck and get some nice wheels even if you have to spend a little its okay because at least for me decks last for years. So its an investment.
Back to top Go down
callumfb95
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
callumfb95

Setup : Blossom 32.5
Trucks
Oaks

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Nice deck, blosom, pure,weca etc, wheels, oaks, substance, flatface, trucks tech deck wides, indys, or china

Tape go for ace or fbs n bushings id go for witchcraft
Back to top Go down
Voided
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Setup : Flatface G14
Flatface G6 White Bearing Wheels
Flatface Dump Trucks
Teak Tuning 2.0 Midnight (Purple/Black)
Riptape

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Wow the community here is awesome! Thanks for all of the replies guys everything yall are saying makes sense. I think i will go with a 20$ board to just make sure i stick with it, and if i like it upgrade to a better setup. But then a part of me is like well man, lets just get a dope setup...

What kind of concave do you guys prefer? I see they have like classic, low, and mid. Im leaning towards something with like medium concave but thats just my guess. Im really looking for a good board for grinds/flips so is more of a concave better?

Also to get the independent longboard trucks id have to buy like a tech deck with them on it and take em off? I checked that truck link out and it was really useful thank you!
Back to top Go down
jackson
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
jackson

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 11:39 pm

i prefer medium concave, although if you want a more realistic skateboard like fingerboard deck id go with low concave. and yeah with the independent longboard trucks, you've gotta go with the longboard complete and take the trucks off. if you need anymore help or have any questions, feel free to pm me man!
Back to top Go down
Couch982
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Couch982

Companies : SIK Finger CO.
Setup : FF G14, Ytrucks X4, Ywheels, slim tape.

FF G12, Ytrucks X3, Oak RV, slim tape.

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 2:15 am

Voided wrote:

Also to get the independent longboard trucks id have to buy like a tech deck with them on it and take em off? I checked that truck link out and it was really useful thank you!

yeah you have to take them off.  beware not all longboards have the indys wides. i found that out the hard way.ha pale

the td indys have a pivot bushing and the base plate is better than the other td wides
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:27 am

As someone new to fingerboarding, I am absolutely loving my time with my G14 complete from Flat Face. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Setup : Berlinwood Xwide:
X4's, China wheels, stock tuning
Brutal Custom:
TDLB's, Duros, witchcrafts
Zink, Ktown, 2 Bawsewoods, 2 woobs, Beastpants, Cowply:
All have wide BRT's, Oaks or FF wheels, & Witchrafts

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:45 am

Ayeee welcome. I started with a p-rep board and quickly moved up to more expensive setups in ghe $100+ range, buying each part bit by bit. Honestly, even though Ive never owned a g14 I wish I had seen the completes on flatface and just waited so save a bit extra to get one. I would go for those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!    Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting started with wooden fingerboards? Help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1