Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalAnimal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Setup : Berlinwood Xwide:
X4's, China wheels, stock tuning
Brutal Custom:
TDLB's, Duros, witchcrafts
Zink, Ktown, 2 Bawsewoods, 2 woobs, Beastpants, Cowply:
All have wide BRT's, Oaks or FF wheels, & Witchrafts

Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] Empty
PostSubject: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 am

I was really intrigued when I first saw the Animal Supply Pool Decks. It is a cool idea for a board, but like the title reads, the decks have some kinks that need to worked out. I will try my best to review the deck as a whole while also addressing some of the immediate issues I had.

Kink #1: Shipping

Now I can't vouch for anyone else who ordered a deck, but my experience with shipping was a hassle. The order did not come with a tracking number, which is fine because a lot of companies don't issue one. But after a few weeks, I was curious of the package's absence. I shot in an email asking about the deck's whereabouts to which I received no reply. Now at three weeks, I resorted to hitting up Compiny/Animal Supply on instagram through Direct Message to try to get a solution going. Still no reply. I tried again, posting in the comments asking them to check their direct message, and finally I got a reply. Ollie told me he had been busy and forgot to ship the deck and would do so ASAP as well as cover shipping to make up for it (which didn't happen). The deck came 3 weeks later. (6 weeks total shipping.)

Edit: Bonus points for packaging. It was on point.

Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] 10843796_929225843755835_561352885_n

Kink #2: Ply's

Straight out of the package, the first thing I notice is.......DAMN THAT TOP PLY IS SEXY.  The picture doesn't capture it, but the deck has a very beautiful vibrant purple top ply. Like a powerful purple. Very very nice looking.
The second thing I notice unfortunately...........damn.....this thing is.........thin. The deck only has 3 ply's and is super thin - Like scarily thin, I feel like I'm going to break this thing if I bump it off the table or something. It is still pretty solid, but 3 ply's people, that is thin. I did not remember reading anywhere that the decks were only 3 ply's so this was a bit of a shock to me. I got the J-law graphic, which for those of you who don't know is Jennifer Lawrence. And she is..........well naked. Sure enough there she (and her tits) was, in black ink against the natural bottom ply. The graphics on these decks look really sick and are overall really shiny and nice. Unfortunately, I can't show you mine. So there is a purple top ply, a natural/ graphic bottom ply, and then a green middle ply. Pretty cool combo, just wish there were more than 3.

Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] 10864920_760499060701314_2032269766_n
(I botched the grip a little)

Kink #3/4/5: Deck, Shape, Riding

So let's get to it, the deck is something like 82mm long and 36mm wide I believe. This is actually a really fun size. Right out of the package it felt super fat and stubby which was really fun and weird. The tail is huge (about 25mm) and the wheel base is only 25mm between each truck (inside screw to inside screw). So over all just a super strange but fun-sized thing to ride. The shape is really mellow aside from the big tail.

Now where to begin.

The biggest downside to this whole thing is how warped the deck is. I wish I could capture it in a picture, but I'm not posting anymore for now. Again, right out of the package this is one of the things I noticed, and became even more noticeable with the trucks on. There is some major warping for on, the whole front end is twisting the opposite direction of the back it seems. Like a spiral noodle. When holding it flat you can clearly see either the back tail slanting down to the right, or with the tail straight, the front half slanting up to the right. I gotta believe this is partly due to how thin the deck is.

Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] Photo_14
Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] Photo_16

Next unfortunate thing about the deck were the holes. They were drilled in the perfect places, almost no offset with the trucks and for the most part really straight. But the countersinking for the screws was almost non existent. This wasn't a huge problem, but it just left the screws poking out the top of the deck a bit too much for me, especially since I put the grip over the screws. You can't totally notice them under the grip but they are there. Again, I'm guessing that they weren't sunken in very deep because of the thinness of the deck.

Now for the ride-ability. The shortness+mellowness+huge tail make this very very hard for any kind of tricks that don't involve transition. I've only used it a limited bit, but it is very difficult, and makes the thin deck feel really flimsy (even though it is pretty solid) under your fingers. BUT, in Animal Supply's defense this is a "pool shape" so it really is meant for transition. Which by the way, is pretty fun. I seshed my winkler dos with it a bit and it is a fun little board to jam with. Still difficult to do any flip tricks or anything airing out of the tranny, but hey, its still cool. The last downside to the deck though is that because of the short wheel base, I was not able to do any rock to fakies or boardslide tricks on the coping.

Sooooo overall these decks are really funky cool looking shape-wise and have vibrantly colored ply's.
But there are some short comings in their quality.
Fun for some grinds and carving on transition, but you can forget anything else unless you are some sort of wizard.

As of now, I'm pretty meh about everything except Jennifer Lawrence's boobs.

Well actually.....those aren't that great either.

Last edited by urbanjump on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pictures of warping)
Back to top Go down
roaldafb
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
roaldafb

Companies : Klique Decks
Setup : Bawsewood Polar Replica
BRT wides Yellow Baseplates
Flatface BRR Edition Wheels White
FBS

Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 6:44 pm

That sucks but still a sweet deck when your getting tired of doing regular tricks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7qTGKTuQKnt3jZ3BGxZVWQ
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
WantSomeSlaw

Setup : What's a fingerboard?

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Lmao loved this review, especially the last two lines.
Some pics of the warping would be nice though.
Back to top Go down
jackson
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
jackson

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 9:02 pm

that thing is ridiculously  out of proportion for a pool deck lol

Last edited by JACKSON. on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mallory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Mallory

Companies : Unique Decks

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 9:45 pm

Thats pretty bad of them to make a graphic out of leaked nudes. Total violation of privacy, and then profiting on it. It's a shame.
Back to top Go down
http://uniquedecks.co
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Brutal Custom:

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 12:24 am

If the deck was 5 plies, the tail was cut in half, it wasnt warped, and the front truck was moved up towards the nose this thing would actually be pretty cool.
And Mallory I definitely see your point there. As for myself.....well I'm guilty because I bought the deck.

Edit: I added pictures of the warping.
Back to top Go down
kingsalami
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
kingsalami

Companies : sloth boardrails (rip)
Setup : woob
brutal
wc

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 3:43 am

ollie definitely owe's you a refund on this. should never have been sent out.
Back to top Go down
http://slothboardrails.bigcartel.com/
kiwi95
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 4:50 am

Mallory wrote:
Thats pretty bad of them to make a graphic out of leaked nudes. Total violation of privacy, and then profiting on it. It's a shame.
its the same thing as these kids selling creature graphic decks , nude leaks are a bit to far though
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Mallory wrote:

To quote Adam Buckley on this, "The question shouldn't be how did they get these pics in the first place, rather why do these pictures exist in the first place?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJncUil1cC4

Back on topic damn that sucks to see not only how long it took to ship the deck, but the quality of it too. Seriously how can someone sell a deck so warped like that???
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 9:29 pm

The issue with this is that people are constantly trying to do something new and 'game changing' with decks and there's just not much you can change. There's a standard design that works best and there's not much scope for improvement around it. 3 plies is a horrible idea, there's no way the deck can be supported well enough structurally to hold its shape.
Weren't the first close up decks 3 ply? Who remembers how those turned out?
Back to top Go down
Robert
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Robert

Setup : 卐卐卐

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 10:27 pm

skatemaster231 wrote:
Mallory wrote:

To quote Adam Buckley on this, "The question shouldn't be how did they get these pics in the first place, rather why do these pictures exist in the first place?"

QFT.
Back to top Go down
NicoG
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
NicoG

Setup : Tonicwood graphic deck 32mm
Blackriver trucks wides
Flatface wheels brt ed
Teak X Bubble Bushings
Tonictape

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 3:03 pm

kingsalami wrote:
ollie definitely owe's you a refund on this. should never have been sent out.
True
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/nicogfb
Ollie
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 2:46 am

I'll send you a V2 if you want man!
Back to top Go down
brodyees
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
brodyees

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 5:47 am

i cant believe how hard people bash companys on here, no compassion.
Back to top Go down
DanielM
Supporter
Supporter
DanielM

Setup : サワーす

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 1:52 pm

There wasn't any bashing going on confused
This was just a review more on the nicer side actually!
Back to top Go down
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Brutal Custom:

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 7:28 am

Ollie, I know it's late (I just dont go on fbhq much anymore) but I'd give em a second chance. If not its fine. As for the bashing.......yeah I dunno, was not trying to do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]   Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures] Empty

Back to top Go down

Animal Supply Pool Decks (Great Idea, Poor Execution) [Added more pictures]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1