Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortaldeck refinishing Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

deck refinishing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evan P
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Evan P

Setup : Yellowood P-6
Ytrucks
Ex-tape
G6o's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Does anyone here refinish decks? if so what'd it cost me to get a yellowood p-6 relaquered? happy
Back to top Go down
TaylorT
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
TaylorT

Companies : Designer @ ¿Maybe? Skateboards, Live Video Director @ Westgate Chapel, Friend of Ollie @ Compiny Fingerboards
Setup : Until further notice:
Homewood New Mold (Red smokestack graphic)
Ytrucks X4 Tex Black
Flatface G6e's (or Oaks)
New Foamy Greatness

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 pm

redemption refinishes for like $10. and i think tmg might
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/FingerSeshNW
Evan P
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Evan P

Ytrucks
Ex-tape
G6o's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 pm

ah, sack that. might try and do it for myself, how hard can it be? (watch me fuck this up terribly)
Back to top Go down
Eric
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Eric

Companies : Fingerboarding, taking picturs and more
Setup : G12 Deck,
TD Wheels And Trucks.

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 am

lol. i might re-do my g12
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 1:04 am

i could do it......depends how good a job you want though and what the condition of the yw is in......its not as simple as a quick coat of lacquer....it will need fine sanding etc.....to get a quality job
Back to top Go down
flexboreder
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
flexboreder

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 1:45 am

blosom is right it will need some TLC before refinishing it. i have done a few of my own decks including a P6 that i gave to a friend. happy case and point it looked brand new. heres the vid of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpOUZnDUKA
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/flexboreder
Evan P
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Evan P

Ytrucks
Ex-tape
G6o's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:45 am

would any of you do it for a free boardkennel graphic? ^^
Back to top Go down
Ayden B
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Ayden B

Setup : Emanant
tdlb trucks
flatface g6e

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm

flexboreder wrote:
blosom is right it will need some TLC before refinishing it. i have done a few of my own decks including a P6 that i gave to a friend. happy case and point it looked brand new. heres the vid of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpOUZnDUKA

wow, a free p6. you madd generous! very happy
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Evan P wrote:
would any of you do it for a free boardkennel graphic? ^^

let me see a pic of the yw....
Back to top Go down
TMG
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
TMG

Companies : Bluefly Board Co.
Setup : BWNM/BRR trucks/Winkler D-rex blues/FBSes
FFG12/BRR trucks/Substance Quartz BRR's/ FBSes
FFG12/Y trucks United/FF G6E/FBSes

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 8:44 pm

I would like to see it too...Cause in my experience, some decks aren't worth refinishing cause it would change the shape of em too much...
Back to top Go down
http://www.blueflyboardco.com/
willhopewell
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

Setup : Berlinwood
BRT's
Winker's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 8:53 pm

google how to do it haha i did and ended up with a really nice purple berlinwood when the elias nm came out
Back to top Go down
Evan P
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Evan P

Ytrucks
Ex-tape
G6o's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 pm

deck refinishing 09112010247
deck refinishing 09112010246
deck refinishing 09112010248
Back to top Go down
TaylorT
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
TaylorT

Companies : Designer @ ¿Maybe? Skateboards, Live Video Director @ Westgate Chapel, Friend of Ollie @ Compiny Fingerboards
Setup : Until further notice:
Homewood New Mold (Red smokestack graphic)
Ytrucks X4 Tex Black
Flatface G6e's (or Oaks)
New Foamy Greatness

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 pm

eww man thats horrible... you need a professional.. TMG
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/FingerSeshNW
blosom
blosom

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 pm

thats not too bad.....the thing with yw's though is the lacquer they use is really flaky anyway......you could never remove all of the old lacquer, but i could do a decent job of relacquering that no problems....if i could be arsed....
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:29 pm

na blosom, its my old p6 happy
jonny sivel did it for me with my laquer, he did a better job than i could do haha
idk what went wrong with it though
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm

looks like acrylic lacquer and by the looks of things it wasn't left to cure properly......then slid up on a rail.....the thing with UK weather is its so dam cold......im having no end of problems deck making at the moment.......if you know anything about deck making you know its too cold to make decks in the UK at the moment......you need some artificial heat....

thats the main thing at the moment holding my decks back.....the weather believe it or not......
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 pm

yeah its acrylic, but, i never slided on it haha, thats down to evan wink
Back to top Go down
Evan P
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Evan P

Ytrucks
Ex-tape
G6o's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:56 pm

soo, whats the conclusion then? haha would you do it blosom or tmg? or is it something i should try myself?
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 pm

ill tell you what......as your UK, ill do it for free if you send it to me and pay the postage back?.....then next time i lacquer some decks, ill do it? happy
Back to top Go down
Evan P
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Evan P

Ytrucks
Ex-tape
G6o's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 pm

Wicked, if i mail it you with a 5'er will that cover it?
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 pm

haha, that would more than cover it and get a top notch sweet finish wink
Back to top Go down
Evan P
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Evan P

Ytrucks
Ex-tape
G6o's

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:10 pm

thanks dude!
pm me your address and i'll send it off to yah happy
Back to top Go down
DillonV
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
DillonV

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 3:51 am

blosom wrote:
looks like acrylic lacquer and by the looks of things it wasn't left to cure properly......then slid up on a rail.....the thing with UK weather is its so dam cold......im having no end of problems deck making at the moment.......if you know anything about deck making you know its too cold to make decks in the UK at the moment......you need some artificial heat....

thats the main thing at the moment holding my decks back.....the weather believe it or not......

where do you make your boards? if your allowed( maybe wifey says no or kids in your house,idk), quarintine a section in your basement or room, cover the vents, block your door and put a little base heater near the desk then leave. that's what i used to do in my basement and it allowed them to cure nicely in the winter, it's the same in canada, winter time is murder.

it's that or make a fair sized box out of wood then seal it off make a door that seals too(foam tape ), and paint your stuff in there. put two vent holes 1 small 1 big, the big one for the heater the small one so the heat can circulate that was my other option when i lived in an apartment for a few months. I've used both, and both work nicely, the box is a little better obviously because you can control the heat and humidity perfectly. cedar wood is perfect for climate control because it doesn't rot from moisture.
Back to top Go down
appleyard14
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
appleyard14

Setup : wood, metal, urethane, condoms

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 5:43 am

yea those little heaters will get a small room around 30 degrees celsius, I would suggest letting it sit on for 24 hours in the rooom to bring everything up to temperature before painting as well. Also keep the heater off carpet and away from fabric, they have been known to be a bit of a fire hazard, but in the right hands, and propped up on a table or some wood you should be fine
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 5:59 pm

yeah, BANDIT, and APPLES, ive got a system that works at the moment....believe me, i have thought about having heaters and stuff, but its just more expense at the end of the day, and these days their are soo many great deck makers selling their decks really cheaply, and to compete with them, i cant be having the heat on full blast all day everyday.....also, i only get to press 1 deck a day.....if i had 10 molds i would consider some heat, but its just the wrong time to be making decks here in the UK.....its fine after about march, but i guess if you want everything done quick smart you gotta have heaters how the weather is at the moment.....

if i had the heaters on all day just so my deck making process would run a lot smoother, i would go bankrupt paying for the heat.

but i appreciate your advices BANDIT and APPLES...you guys know i do happy

in the future i can make sure i get plenty of decks pressed up march-august, then i will have them ready to sand etc....its just good old timing and UK weather holding me back at the moment though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

deck refinishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: deck refinishing   deck refinishing Empty

Back to top Go down

deck refinishing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1