Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalMost Effective Part of a Setup Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Most Effective Part of a Setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

Most Effective Part of a Setup Empty
PostSubject: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 7:54 pm

So, two threads I saw on FFI gave me the idea for this..

Imagine a tech deck. A crappy stock tech deck. Then imagine your current setup, what ever you've got.
What part of your setup do you think makes the biggest change from td stuff?

Like,
shitty td grip -> fbs/rip?
plastic deck with no shape -> decent wood deck?
trucks that fall apart -> brr/ytrucks? (less people will be able to talk about that I guess as not everyone has decent trucks)
plastic wheels -> bearing wheels with decent materials?
bushings that do nothing -> decent bushings?

so, yea, what single part of a setup do you think makes the biggest performance leap from paying 4 quid for a tech deck, which I imagine is where we all started? (or, mine cost like, 8 quid the first one I got, but, you get the point) Make sure also to state why you think what you choose happy

I say, wheels. Ever since I got my g7.1s my consistency + style has gone up soo much! Its a close call, but, wheels are my choice for now. Plastic decks with crap grip aren't THAT bad, all considered, trucks I don't know about atm, bushings only make a small difference, and, so, yea, theres my answer.

you?
Back to top Go down
Linkan
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Linkan

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:02 pm

that most be my board happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/linkanklinkan
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:48 pm

hmmmm well wheels help with consistency and style because i guess they give you a smoother roll, meaning you can actually roll away properly, but imo i think its the deck shape, on a NEW stock td i cant even kickflip, on an old tech deck i can do almost all te tricks i can do on my berlinwood
Back to top Go down
Harvey Glynn
Admin
Admin
Harvey Glynn

Companies : Ex-Tape
Setup : Home Made Deck
Ex-Tape
Y-Trucks X1
Pink G4 Buttas

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 9:09 pm

gotta be the deck and tape fo me

more the deck

coz i can skate a yw with sk8 grip on it
Back to top Go down
http://www.FingerboardHQ.net/
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 9:23 pm

dannyhynam wrote:
hmmmm well wheels help with consistency and style because i guess they give you a smoother roll, meaning you can actually roll away properly, but imo i think its the deck shape, on a NEW stock td i cant even kickflip, on an old tech deck i can do almost all te tricks i can do on my berlinwood

I think you have a very valid point there..

hands up who misses old stock tds? they actually had some shape to them.. the things they call decks these days.. wtf >_< I could barely kickflip the one I brought the other day for factory painted trucks..

I'm still tied between deck + wheels.. I guess stock old td (which is the last td I used as an actual setup) -> proper deck, wheels are most change, but on new tds its board as, well, new tds just.. I can't describe how bad they are : o
Back to top Go down
Boffey
Boffey

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Grip makes more difference than most people realise imo,
it makes a huge difference to how it performs
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 11:04 pm

^true, I gave my friend my old mold td with riptape on and he says its SOOO much better than any tech deck with stock 'grip' I remember going from my closeup g2 with grip, to having riptape on it, SUCH a difference!
Back to top Go down
ablair
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
ablair

Companies : www.oakwheels.com
Setup : Push M2
Wides
V6s
extra smooth

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 1:55 am

wheels
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/slimFingerz
luajh
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
luajh

Companies : SPRiNGFiELD FingerBoards

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:54 am

grip and bushings

grip changes ur life seriously. my outdoor setup is a stock techdeck with rip. the original techdeck grip isnt even grip but sandpaper. spinmaster is seriously fucking cheap. whats wrong? techdecks have good pop , mostly. i think tape changes the whole deal of the deck alot. even a crappy deck can be good with good tape. we take the latest closeup g3 as an example. u know why manu includes rip? i guess the answer is pretty obvious. skate grip isnt good at all. u need something consistent that can ensure u to perform well.

bushings

i currently have a set of ytrucks, and 1 set of techdeck wides with BRR truck bushings. i ride loose. i would say, they make alot of diff because if ur using techdeck bushings, the pop isnt there, and bushings change the way u ride, ur style, everthing. as i am a person that values style more than trick difficulty, i would say bushings
Back to top Go down
http://springfieldfingerboards.vze.com
TobiasSchneider
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer

Companies : FB (obviously), scootering, skateboarding, violin

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Either deck or bushings for me.

The bushings help, because I like my trucks as tight as possible, and it helps because I like doing bigger stuff. (TWSS)
The deck helps because pop, shape, I like strong sturdy pop, and deep concave and medium/high kicks.
Back to top Go down
Nick Payne
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Nick Payne

Companies : fingerboarding,skating,guitar,filming
Setup : Hard Knox Deck,FBS.Y-Trucks(White),Substance Dual Gold(black)

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 11:32 pm

deck because i have a ripped td with winks and it still isnt consistent
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NicholasScottPayne?feature=mhum
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Effective Part of a Setup   Most Effective Part of a Setup Empty

Back to top Go down

Most Effective Part of a Setup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1