Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalMy friend and I are considering starting a company Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My friend and I are considering starting a company

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
UmmSorry
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
UmmSorry

Companies : FINGERBOARDING! :)
Setup : Prowood Classic
Broken Knuckle Trucks
Origin Wheels

My friend and I are considering starting a company Empty
PostSubject: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Well my friend Dean (who is skating flow for World Industries) has really gotten into fingerboarding lately and since he used to run a skateboard company, he said we should make fingerboards since he has access to everything to do it. I wanna hear what everyone would think if we do? We thought of the name Broadcast Fingerboards for it but yeah...maybe we'll make one or two and show our examples when done haha. Post some input and thoughts everyone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/ummsorry
Ironfingers
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ironfingers

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 2:02 am

How do ya plan to make the decks?
I think it's a good idea if you have access to the right stuff as you said but do you mean like a deck press etc.. Cos that would be some pro level stuff and you could do very well..

If ya do make something depending on quality I'd get one

Oh and good luck man, hope it goes well
Back to top Go down
UmmSorry
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
UmmSorry

Broken Knuckle Trucks
Origin Wheels

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:17 am

Thanks dude and yeah he's talking about a deck press of some sort but if not he said he could do molds that would make the decks look like real skate deck shape. It's just word right now but maybe real?
Back to top Go down
Matt Matysek
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Matt Matysek

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am

That sounds pretty awesome. I'm out of cash so I couldnt buy one, but I would definately support the company.
Back to top Go down
Daniel.H
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daniel.H

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 pm

This isent me being a dick, but they would have to be pritty good decks to stand out
making a good deck and finding the shape you want could take years to get perfect.
Back to top Go down
Hi I'm Gabe :)
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Companies : Fingerboarding,Skateboarding,Photography,
Setup : Blosom <3
Blackriver-Trucks 2.0 Super Silver
Riptape
No Comply Tuning

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 5:06 pm

I would totally support the company! :p
Back to top Go down
stevenfilms
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
stevenfilms

Companies : Filming, skating, and fingerboarding
Setup : Redemption MMC, wide tuned trucks, china non-bearing wheels , Incredibly Smooth & Grippy tape

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Try to make an interesting shape, and plies, so it stands out from the rest. happy
Back to top Go down
mrjacobburke
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Companies : Manchester,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Any pictures?
Back to top Go down
chiller123
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
chiller123

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 pm

no go for it mate, il back you happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 pm

You should try and downsize the shape of a world industries deck so its exactly the same but for a fingerboard happy
Back to top Go down
Ironfingers
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ironfingers

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Maybe stain your own plies if that's possible some pinks, bright greens etc..
Back to top Go down
CasparH
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
CasparH

Companies : SkullwoodWorkshops
Setup : Berlinwood My Name is Graphic
Wide Allen Key Trucks
Flatface G6 a´s
Riptape

I AM SWEDISH

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Goldmidget wrote:
This isent me being a dick, but they would have to be pritty good decks to stand out
making a good deck and finding the shape you want could take years to get perfect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.skullwoodworkshops.weebly.com
UmmSorry
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
UmmSorry

Broken Knuckle Trucks
Origin Wheels

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your input ans support and thoughts happy Well we're not going to just go and sell these when we're done or anything like that, we're going to make these perfect and try our best to make something unique very happy
Back to top Go down
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Riptape
No Comply Tuning

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:04 pm

What kind of mold and veneer would you be using to make the decks? and is it you that is making the decks or your friend on World Industries?
Back to top Go down
UmmSorry
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
UmmSorry

Broken Knuckle Trucks
Origin Wheels

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:12 am

well right now its just thoughts and ideas. We are thinking everything out and what we want to do hence me asking everyone's opinions on it. What vaneer would everyone prefer? What molds come out best? He has great actual deck making skills but we're trying to basically scale the idea and process down to fingerboards. We're planning I guess you can say happy Everything is just thoughts
Back to top Go down
JT
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
JT

Companies : JTfingerboards

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 5:22 am

I have been making decks for 2 years and mine still aren't perfect, I do however have lots of knowledge.
First of all everybody loves exotic plies example, burls, wenge, zebrawood and so on. However when sanding most exotic ply decks you cannot be to careful, the dust that comes off some exotic veneers such as wenge can cause harmful stuff to happen to your lungs, I would suggest getting the surgical masks from walmart that cover up your nose and mouth. That would prevent some long-term damage.
Time is the most important thing for fingerboard making, the longer your deck is left in the mold the stronger it will be of course, but you cannot forget this, however long the deck is in the mold you need to let it sit in a dark non-humid area for twice as long, example if you leave it in the mold for 12 hours let it cure for 1 day. Most people will say you have to let them sit for 3 days even if you only leave it in the mold for 8 hours but that is just wasted time that could be spent perfecting the deck.
For molds, I would suggest starting off with a bondo mold, they make great decks if made right but can crack, break, bend or even warp with time. Once you have made a few decks with a bondo mold you should take a block of wood trace your shape and everything on it and use a miter saw to cut the kicks to the best angle. You can use a chisel or a belt sander to do the concave and dips.
When sanding the deck you want to use a belt sander and sand it to a rough size (1mm from final size) and then use a series of sand paper to get the final size, use 100 to get closer, 150-180 to get it to the right size and then 220 to finish it.
For lacqure use 7 coats of spray lacqure allow 45 minutes to dry between coats.

That is probably all that I can give away right now. I hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jtfingerboards.weebly.com
Ironfingers
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ironfingers

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks jt very informative read!
Back to top Go down
JT
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
JT

Companies : JTfingerboards

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:56 pm

oh and 1/64th inch thickness is for veneer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jtfingerboards.weebly.com
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Riptape
No Comply Tuning

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 5:31 pm

good information JT! his company will be very JT'd lol.
Back to top Go down
UmmSorry
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
UmmSorry

Broken Knuckle Trucks
Origin Wheels

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 am

JT, that was the best advice I have heard! Thanks for all those tips! We're going to try a bondo mold this week maybe? Depends on our work schedules
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I are considering starting a company   My friend and I are considering starting a company Empty

Back to top Go down

My friend and I are considering starting a company

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1