Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalBest Grip Tape you've used? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Grip Tape you've used?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mikkolangot
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
mikkolangot

Setup : Main Setup:
FlatFace G13
Blackriver Trucks Rad Red 2.0
FBS Extra Smooth
FF BRR Edition wheels (black)

Best Grip Tape you've used? Empty
PostSubject: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:25 am

What's your top 3 Grip Tape and why? And do you guys prefer the soft and foamy than the sand paper like tapes?
Most of the people I saw uses Rip tape but I haven't used that one yet. Any advantages?

Last edited by mikkolangot on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WillSteller
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
WillSteller

Companies : Snowboarding, Skating
Setup : Emanant
NoLogo
FF
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 am

Fbs
Class A Tape
Riptape
Back to top Go down
mikkolangot
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
mikkolangot

FlatFace G13
FBS Extra Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 am

Is the FBS tape worth the price?
Back to top Go down
WillSteller
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
WillSteller

Companies : Snowboarding, Skating
Setup : Emanant
NoLogo
FF
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:49 am

I guess so but get class a tape it feels just about the same but cheaper
www.classafingerboards.com
Back to top Go down
Labrador_FB
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Labrador_FB

Companies : Labrador Fingerboards

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 am

Riptape is a brand- so your title would be something like "best grip tape you've used". Sorry, but it bugs me when people use a brand name as a general word. Like calling any soda Coke haha...

I haven't tried many but I hope to be buying some Rip soon very happy
Back to top Go down
mikkolangot
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
mikkolangot

FlatFace G13
FBS Extra Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 am

lol sorry there you go. hahaha thanks for clarifying.
Back to top Go down
Alec
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:36 am

1. Zonatape.- The best, thin grippy smooth. amazing.
2. FBS- classic.
3. 4c tape- idc if its china tape its amazing.

get zonatape by pming nathan garber on ffi or on youtube gr8n8skater
$3 for 3 pieces $5 for 6 pieces. great deal
Back to top Go down
Jordan B.
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Jordan B.

Setup : G14

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:45 am

I've tried quite a few tapes, and Riptape is my favorite. FBS and china tape (4 corner and others) are good too.
Back to top Go down
mrjacobburke
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Companies : Manchester,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 am

Foamy G is my favourite.
Then fbs.
Then riptape
Back to top Go down
Peter.A
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Peter.A

Companies : J.F.S
Setup : Hashtag Peter.A signature deck
Snow tape
J.F.S black bearing wheels
Redawn gold trucks wide

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 am

Redawn smooth tape-1st
Fbs extra smooth-2nd
Snow tape-3rd

Last edited by Peter.A on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
willhopewell
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

Setup : Berlinwood
BRT's
Winker's

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:58 am

Rip tape
Rip tape
and Rip tape... been using one piece for a year now
Back to top Go down
Daniel.H
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daniel.H

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 am

1st- Rip tape
2nd- China tape
3rd- foamy G
Back to top Go down
Toebex
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toebex

Companies : Anus
Setup : Dicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:50 am

Slim tape.
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:04 am

1st FBS 2nd creekwood tape. 3rd china
Back to top Go down
Masonflawless
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer

Companies : Flawless fingerboards
Setup : Berlinwood new mold brr trucks and winkler wheels. Berlinwood radio lennie graphic td wide trucks flat face g6o wheels. Berlinwood old mold regular td trucks flat face g6brandonroberts

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:59 am

Yw slim tape
Worn in nollie tape
Rip tape
Back to top Go down
Dom-Mattocks
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:42 pm

1. fomay j and g, they feel the same to me
2. fbs
3. Rip
Back to top Go down
HarryYeates
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
HarryYeates

Companies : Cyclone Media

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:46 pm

FBS
Fusion
Back to top Go down
http://www.cyclonefb.blogspot.com
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I've only used a few types of tape but here's my 3.

1. old Riptape (not the new stuff they sell now) - feels good and super durable. I think you can still get some from Flatface.
2. Close Up (lol biased) - I genuinely like this tape, lasts a while too and the grip is so nice when worn in. It fits Close Up decks perfectly. I would have used this on other decks if they sold some separate uncut versions.
3. 4C/China tape - Bobby was nice enough to give me a lot of this for free and it's very affordable and feels pretty nice. I can see myself using this on mains. It's also very easy to apply.

Opinions on other tapes:

No Comply Foamy G - I used to think this was too grippy but when you've worn it in a lot, it's actually quite normal. Still too grippy for me when brand new though.
No Comply Foamy J - When this is new, this is actually really nice. Even though my favourite types of tape are more porous, it has a great balance of grippiness. Unfortunately, this tape is not durable and crumbles to pieces and leaves tiny specs of grip on your surfaces.
Nollie tape - Feels fragile and uh... furry? This really wouldnt be good with sweaty fingers haha.
Creekwood (new tape) - not sure why people hate it but I like it as it's a porous kind of tape. Its drawback is that its adhesive is not as good as other tapes and you might have problems when applying the tape or removing it.
Gummy tape - Not very good. This only lasts a few weeks before you see a lot of expansion and failure of the adhesive. The adhesive is also frustratingly hard to remove when changing the tape. DO NOT BUY EVEN IF IT IS CHEAP.
Redemption (Flow tape) - Damn this tape is thick. It's 2mm and I think with this thickness, you lose the subtle feel of the contours of your deck and it also increases the deck weight making it harder to flip. It's quite porous and doesn't feel too bad but the thickness ruins it for me. It would be great if it was 1mm.
TD Wood Competition Series G2 foam tape - Its size is hilarious as it's only like 23mm wide. The dimensions are awful and wont fit any normal deck, the grip is not as much as others, the adhesive is weak but it does feel smooth.
FBS - I have only just obtained some that came with some decks so I can't comment on their performance from being new to the end of their life, nor can I comment on the ease of application or removal. The current performance, as it has been worn in, is quite nice. I can see why this has been a major competition to Riptape and I like this almost as much as old Riptape but it's not in my 3 as I haven't had enough experience with it.
New Riptape - Much inferior to old Riptape in my opinion. I think most fingerboarders also agree with this. The new tape is much less porous and maybe a bit less grippy too since your fingers aren't feeling the rich texture of something as porous as old Riptape. Still, it's OK and a good balance between most tapes.
Oakwood tape - This is pretty nice. It's quite affordable in a decent quantity. Its texture is about in the middle of old and new Riptape. A small drawback is that the adhesive between the tape and the plastic backing is a bit weak and the foam may curl up. This has rarely happened to me though and has not affected performance so far.
Wangster tape - This tape is perfect for people who like tapes that aren't very porous. It's like Foamy G/J but without the problems of being too grippy or deterioration. It's not my preference though.

Other tapes I am hoping to try:
Kingsize tape - I should be getting some with my Soma competition prize
Snow tape - I was supposed to be getting some as part of my Final Banger contest prize but it's been a long time now.
FBS - I still need to try some new but can't really see myself buying a pack. Anyone for a trade?
Creekwood old tape - I have a sheet of this but have not used it yet. It feels really weird.
Pheon OG - I want some but Finn is a poo poo head and doesn't restock.
Slim tape - I've heard nice things about it and want to try some but don't see myself buying some directly. Anyone wanna trade a sheet?
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Nice xi thanks so much for this now i will know what tape to buy
Back to top Go down
Peter.A
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Peter.A

Companies : J.F.S
Setup : Hashtag Peter.A signature deck
Snow tape
J.F.S black bearing wheels
Redawn gold trucks wide

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Xi wrote:
I've only used a few types of tape but here's my 3.

1. old Riptape (not the new stuff they sell now) - feels good and super durable. I think you can still get some from Flatface.
2. Close Up (lol biased) - I genuinely like this tape, lasts a while too and the grip is so nice when worn in. It fits Close Up decks perfectly. I would have used this on other decks if they sold some separate uncut versions.
3. 4C/China tape - Bobby was nice enough to give me a lot of this for free and it's very affordable and feels pretty nice. I can see myself using this on mains. It's also very easy to apply.

Opinions on other tapes:

No Comply Foamy G - I used to think this was too grippy but when you've worn it in a lot, it's actually quite normal. Still too grippy for me when brand new though.
No Comply Foamy J - When this is new, this is actually really nice. Even though my favourite types of tape are more porous, it has a great balance of grippiness. Unfortunately, this tape is not durable and crumbles to pieces and leaves tiny specs of grip on your surfaces.
Nollie tape - Feels fragile and uh... furry? This really wouldnt be good with sweaty fingers haha.
Creekwood (new tape) - not sure why people hate it but I like it as it's a porous kind of tape. Its drawback is that its adhesive is not as good as other tapes and you might have problems when applying the tape or removing it.
Gummy tape - Not very good. This only lasts a few weeks before you see a lot of expansion and failure of the adhesive. The adhesive is also frustratingly hard to remove when changing the tape. DO NOT BUY EVEN IF IT IS CHEAP.
Redemption (Flow tape) - Damn this tape is thick. It's 2mm and I think with this thickness, you lose the subtle feel of the contours of your deck and it also increases the deck weight making it harder to flip. It's quite porous and doesn't feel too bad but the thickness ruins it for me. It would be great if it was 1mm.
TD Wood Competition Series G2 foam tape - Its size is hilarious as it's only like 23mm wide. The dimensions are awful and wont fit any normal deck, the grip is not as much as others, the adhesive is weak but it does feel smooth.
FBS - I have only just obtained some that came with some decks so I can't comment on their performance from being new to the end of their life, nor can I comment on the ease of application or removal. The current performance, as it has been worn in, is quite nice. I can see why this has been a major competition to Riptape and I like this almost as much as old Riptape but it's not in my 3 as I haven't had enough experience with it.
New Riptape - Much inferior to old Riptape in my opinion. I think most fingerboarders also agree with this. The new tape is much less porous and maybe a bit less grippy too since your fingers aren't feeling the rich texture of something as porous as old Riptape. Still, it's OK and a good balance between most tapes.
Oakwood tape - This is pretty nice. It's quite affordable in a decent quantity. Its texture is about in the middle of old and new Riptape. A small drawback is that the adhesive between the tape and the plastic backing is a bit weak and the foam may curl up. This has rarely happened to me though and has not affected performance so far.
Wangster tape - This tape is perfect for people who like tapes that aren't very porous. It's like Foamy G/J but without the problems of being too grippy or deterioration. It's not my preference though.

Other tapes I am hoping to try:
Kingsize tape - I should be getting some with my Soma competition prize
Snow tape - I was supposed to be getting some as part of my Final Banger contest prize but it's been a long time now.
FBS - I still need to try some new but can't really see myself buying a pack. Anyone for a trade?
Creekwood old tape - I have a sheet of this but have not used it yet. It feels really weird.
Pheon OG - I want some but Finn is a poo poo head and doesn't restock.
Slim tape - I've heard nice things about it and want to try some but don't see myself buying some directly. Anyone wanna trade a sheet?
You will definetly get your snow tape in 2 day for sure you will love it
Back to top Go down
raymond
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
raymond

Companies : fingerboarding, skateboarding, film-production, piano, photography, swag

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 pm

FBS Tape
Forgiven Tape (Not just because it's our own, but because it feels like a smoother but rougher rip)
Slim
Back to top Go down
http://www.forgivenfingerboards.com/
Dom-Mattocks
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 pm

wow xi, big essay there, i agree with most of the tapes you said/typed
Back to top Go down
chiller123
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
chiller123

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:26 pm

fbs all the way hate the new rip
does anyone know what pheon is like?
Back to top Go down
mikkolangot
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
mikkolangot

FlatFace G13
FBS Extra Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for the detailed reply guys. I personally want to try FBS extra smooth. I probably get that when my rough grip tape worn out.
Back to top Go down
Dom-Mattocks
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 12:36 am

i tried rip only for a little, and it was really good
i want to get some sheets cos its great
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Grip Tape you've used?   Best Grip Tape you've used? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Grip Tape you've used?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next