Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalWhat does Deck shape actually do? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What does Deck shape actually do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FlatBenny
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
FlatBenny

Companies : coffee roasting and FB
Setup : lowpro
brt 2.0
winkler brr ed

What does Deck shape actually do? Empty
PostSubject: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm pretty new to finger boarding and currently ride a prowood extreme which is a shorter deck at 96mm. however im not convinced i have found the shape that suits me quite yet.

I know width is kind of a spin control factor
Length is again i feel a spin/flip factor

But what about concave,dips and kicks how do they all effect the performance. OR are they just to make it look realistic and cool???

I notice that BW are making flat series decks and now 32mm wide decks. and also lowpro are making a deck with no concave. Are flat decks the way forward?

Thanks Benny.
Back to top Go down
TomasM
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
TomasM

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 pm

It's all about the rider's preference. Some like 30mm+ width decks, and others like a smaller sized deck. Some like high kicks, some like mellow kicks. It all comes down to what shape you feel comfortable with at the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
TylerE
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
TylerE

Setup : BW
2.0 BRT <3
FF G6D
FBS extra smoof
TKY

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:32 pm

You'll have to ride some different boards and find out for yourself man! Each company has different shapes and feels to the board, you gotta find what you like. I personally love the 29.5mm Berlinwoods, they feel perfect to me in comparison to my Yellowwood, which I think the tail is a little to steep aswell as there being to little concave. So like I said, try out some different companys and find what shape you like!
Back to top Go down
mellowyellow
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
mellowyellow

Companies : guru fingerboards
Setup : DECK:GURU FB 32.5
WHEELS:G4 D'S
TRUCKS:CHINA WIDES
TAPE:CHAPE TAPE

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 3:24 am

ya like i like a 32mm deck so i might get a wide berlinwood and i like mellow boards
Back to top Go down
Deshawn Harris
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Deshawn Harris

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 7:45 am

People say "rider preference" but thats not answering the question. He wants to know what a deck shape actually does.

Think of it like this.

The higher the kicks, the more leverage you have to pop. It would make popping the board all the more easier. Likewise, concave makes flips easier if they are extreme. Mellow shapes are normally hardest to work with since the leverage is often taken away. Thinner boards spin faster because there is less board to rotate. Anything thicker will spin slower.

Its the 747 vs a F-18 concept when you talk board size. Anything bigger will rotate slower, anything smaller will rotate quicker.

So realistically, if you'd want a balanced board- everything should be medium. If you want pop, get higher kicks. Better flips, thin and concave.
Back to top Go down
CrunchyFingers
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
CrunchyFingers

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 6:08 am

I like popping big, fast flips and mid-air catches so I got a Daliri 1.5 deck which has medium concave and medium/medium-high kicks. It's 29.3 I think so I have lots of space to catch. If somehow you're like me, you'll like Daliri Fingerboard's decks.
Back to top Go down
FlatBenny
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
FlatBenny

Companies : coffee roasting and FB
Setup : lowpro
brt 2.0
winkler brr ed

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 7:31 am

By the sounds of it I might be looking into the deck shape and size a bit too much.

Im just interested, I mean we would all love to have the perfect deck for us. And im just trying to find what i would like and why. so far i am liking the

98-98 mm in length
29-30 mm in width
mellow to medium concave maybe more towards the medium
Quite defined dips
medium to high kicks

As Deshawn Harris describes above the length and width have a lot of impact on performance. Which shows i have a close up G3 and G4 which as you may know are both very thin decks and they really dont perform well in my opinion (however i love both they are still fun which is what people miss with there Fingerboard reviews)

Im going to buy some more decks soon to maybe review id like a yellow wood, berlinwood, homewood and a lowpro.

Atm i have got a number of decks incl. 2x close up, 2x 4CF, starfingerboard <-- (Very good deck) and 2 prowoods + tech decks.

I think all of the brandes above puts alot of thought into there deck shape and size and they are all quite popular.

Home wood seems to have a wide selection of shapes with detailed descriptions of why they shape the deck.

I shall continue looking into it i think if i can come to a conclusion then i could help people to buy a deck that suits them if they like me cant try a number of decks while at events.
Back to top Go down
RM
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
RM

Companies : Music, FB, SB, Sporting
Setup : Woodguest Deck
FBS Extra Smooth Tape
Blackriver Trucks 2.0
Black RV Oak Wheels

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:12 pm

from the sound of your preferences i think you would like Flaked decks. They are 98mm long, 30mm wide, and have medium or high kicks with medium concave. nice defined shape too.

also: ditch 4C and Starfingerboard. they are china companies that ruin the scene so they are really frowned upon. youre a beginner so its not expected that you would know that but just a heads up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What does Deck shape actually do?   What does Deck shape actually do? Empty

Back to top Go down

What does Deck shape actually do?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1