Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalAm I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MaxL
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
MaxL

Companies : Yoyoing, Fingerboarding, Skating, Longboarding, Trumpet, Music, Graphic Design, Web Design
Setup : Redemption MMC | Vachina | Y-Trucks | Vachina

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? Empty
PostSubject: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 11:43 pm

I bought a pack from Flatface and I just can't get used to it... There's like little to no grip at all. sad

I know Finn was telling me he isn't a fan of it either but everytime I tell someone that I can't get used to it I just get told to use it more... No
Back to top Go down
grantinator
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
grantinator

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 am

I know what you mean but once its really worn in it is great but by then it the tape is usually falling off
Back to top Go down
skeep222
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
skeep222

Companies : Secks Decks, Fingerblast Ramps Co.
Setup : Woob
brts
ff x winklers

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:28 am

yeah i really dont like it. its still better than skate grip, but pretty turribull in my opinion
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:35 am

depends which rip your referring to?

i really like the old/original open pored rip. but im not a fan of the rip that is really firm and never wears out...ive had packs of rip with both types in b4 too.

but yeah, there are 2 types.

its like fbs....i really like the fbs that is jet black, and more on the 'foamy' side. that stuff is awesome. but i dont like the fbs that is more grey in colour and has more of an 'eraser' feel to it.

its just different batches with the fbs...thats why i wont buy it no more...you dont know which you will receive....but with rip, there are 2 definitive types.
Back to top Go down
MaxL
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
MaxL

Companies : Yoyoing, Fingerboarding, Skating, Longboarding, Trumpet, Music, Graphic Design, Web Design

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:40 am

I didn't know there were 2 types!

I probably have the newer of the two, I bought it about half a year ago...
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 am

get a piece of tape (masking tape/cello tape) and stick it on the tape and pull it off. if its the newer rip, do it a few times and it should wear it in a bit....and make it have more grip.
Back to top Go down
GIllybear
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
GIllybear

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:51 am

yes i think you are lmfao.... Like every one says... wear it in its completely different after its properly worn in very happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/dgilliam87
MaxL
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
MaxL

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 am

blosom wrote:
get a piece of tape (masking tape/cello tape) and stick it on the tape and pull it off. if its the newer rip, do it a few times and it should wear it in a bit....and make it have more grip.

I'm going to try this.

Thanks Ross! happy
Back to top Go down
skeep222
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
skeep222

Companies : Secks Decks, Fingerblast Ramps Co.
Setup : Woob
brts
ff x winklers

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 1:15 am

Lol Ross I do that with all my tape very happy
Back to top Go down
Wyatt F.
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Wyatt F.

Setup : YW Z3
BRR
Oaks

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 2:19 am

It's good worn in but I mean I can't fb at all without it worn in so I think it's terrible IMO I am an fbs/ foamy greatness type of guy
Back to top Go down
raymond
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
raymond

Companies : fingerboarding, skateboarding, film-production, piano, photography, swag

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 2:21 am

^ precisely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.forgivenfingerboards.com/
BrianC
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
BrianC

Companies : Pure

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 2:24 am

I LOVE rip tape. Its soo good out of the pack and even better worn in
Back to top Go down
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 4:13 am

I've tried every big brand of tape, and every type of China tape. So far, China tape is the most reliable, and Riptape is a close second. I've tried both Riptapes, and I like the texture of the new rip, but I like the grip of the old better. I've tried FBS, and I didn't understand when people said that China tape is almost as grippy. IMO FBS is almost as grippy as China tape. But with all that being said, Reeepterrrrrp or Cherna terrp<3
Back to top Go down
Melvin A Thomas
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Melvin A Thomas

Companies : fingerboarding, robotic studies
Setup : Pure,tec deck independant trucks 32mm, susbatance Classic Reloaded.

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 6:29 am

I don't like rip tape, idk why?
Back to top Go down
Tomi
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 9:37 am

BrianC wrote:
I LOVE rip tape. Its soo good out of the pack and even better worn in
Back to top Go down
callumfb95
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
callumfb95

Setup : Blossom 32.5
Trucks
Oaks

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 am

I used to be obsessed with riptape but now i love fbs !
Back to top Go down
Peter.A
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Peter.A

Companies : J.F.S
Setup : Hashtag Peter.A signature deck
Snow tape
J.F.S black bearing wheels
Redawn gold trucks wide

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 10:06 am

If u want tape that comes grippy but last a good few months , your best bet is www.railcityfb.com. I used to be a Rip fan until my friend gave me fbs !!!! Really good straight from the package and lasts like 2 months
Back to top Go down
Finn S
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Finn S

Setup : Blosom 30.5
Winks
Brts
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 am

me and MaxL were talking about this last night, we both can't get to use it, I try and do tricks with it and I suck, I can use china tape and skate grip fine, but nothing which is porous.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 am

Well i have only used Rip tape back in the days when it was the only alternative to skate grip.

I still have some pieces of both the generations i tried. The oldest one is the best, but it's a very hard foam tape compared to Foamy J/G and china tape, and it doesn't work at all for me, after trying the newer tapes.

The newest type of Rip i have (which is still very old), is even harder than the oldest and is complete shit.
When they changed the Rip tape to this tape everyone wanted to get their hands on "old Rip".

I prefer Foamy J/G over anything else i have tried.
Back to top Go down
GIllybear
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
GIllybear

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 am

Ill always be a fan off pre cut ripp... takes the skettchyness outa gripping your deck .. keeps it smooth looking XD

as soon as other companies make pre cut ill try them tongue
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/dgilliam87
MaxL
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
MaxL

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 4:07 pm

I think if from what I've heard is true that I got a batch of the new rip... Which sucks.

I'm gonna try that tape thing today (I've been trying to find tape in the abyss that is my house)

Also maybe gonna order some FBS... Even though there's a chance I could get some yucky tape.
Back to top Go down
brian84corvette
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
brian84corvette

Companies : skate park design / building - ramp48
Setup : noComply m2 wide - beautyful red bottom / top plys
flatface g12
ultra decks x2
mad lab decks x3
close up g4 ( awesome trucks - terrible deck )
broken knuckle peoples choice - best 16$ ever spent
as it got me in to the hobby again happy

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 5:25 pm

i have a piece of rip on a board - and its realley hard to get used to = when you are already used to using soft grips like a china grip or a foamy j

one thing i did to drasticly improve the rip tape board - was to lightly use sandpaper on the grip to scratch it all up and wear it in just a little bit. this seemed to help tremendusly compaired to using it freshly applied to a deck.

but its still not my favorite - and im contemplating pulling it off and putting a china grip on.
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 5:36 pm

nitromelvin wrote:
I don't like rip tape, idk why?

Rip tape is awsome.... just loses grip time to time.. so one week its good but when you dont use it for a while it gets all less grippy..

but honestly Rip is just a tape people get gassed over cos mike Schneider sed its gud.
Back to top Go down
AxelWahl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
AxelWahl

Companies : I own Weca bi$h
Setup : Weca
Blackriver trucks
Bawse wheels

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 3:03 pm

I hate riptape when you take it out from the pack. But i love it when it's super worn in very happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axelwahl
DanielM
Supporter
Supporter
DanielM

Setup : サワーす

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Anything is better than rip , I used china before rip then I decided to get a pack of rip and it was balls , no grip what so ever. and everyone says you have to work it in , comon its no good I shouldnt have to put it in a microwave/burn it/rub it with a coin/use it for a month to get grippy/etc
The slim and catchy is a little better grip wise when 1st put on , but I probably will stick with china tape
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?   Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Riptape?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next