Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalAceFingerboarding tape review Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AceFingerboarding tape review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

AceFingerboarding tape review Empty
PostSubject: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:17 am

AceFingerboarding tape review 1598-10
AceFingerboarding
Tape Review by Xi Jin

Tape packaging
AceFingerboarding tape review DSC03104s

About me and this tape
I have been fingerboarding for 11 years, finally picking up a sponsorship from Close Up in the last year. I have been involved with the online scene on FFI, FBHQ and YouTube; Currently, I am a moderator on FBHQ. I have written fingerboard product reviews before as I am genuinely interested in fingerboard products and want to share the information. This is my 16th review and I hope the reader may see this as an unbiased review, despite my sponsorship.

As for experience with tapes, I have had at least 16 other different types of smooth fingerboard tape and have tried many more.

This tape has been set up on a 29mm Pure OM deck with China screws, baseplates & washers and Close Up hangers, bushings and bearing wheels. All of the components were new when I set it up and I have been using this tape and whole board for just over a month. This is a decent amount of time to gain enough insight to write a fair review.

I pretty much just copy and paste this same format for all my reviews to save hassle. I personally prefer text-based reviews as opposed to video reviews as the reader can choose to read it at their own pace instead of being forced to follow the speed of the reviewer and who can often trail-off topic. I like to write my reviews detailed with enough information for potential buyers to know everything about the product before purchasing.

Apologies for my low quality pictures, I intend to invest in better optical equipment in the future.

Company Profile
AceFingerboarding is a new company that has been operating for a few months. It is owned by Bart Dewulf and based in Bruges/Brugge, Belgium. Initially, the tape will just be offered on eBay and the webshop. There are plans to have worldwide distributors in the future. He has also expressed an interest to have a team.

To find out more information, you may check out a mini-interview with the owner, Bart.

Mini interview: http://fingerboardnetwork.com/siht/2012/07/03/mini-interview-with-acefingerboarding/

Product Overview
This is currently the only product AceFingerboarding is offering. The package contains only tape and each pack includes 5 sheets of uncut tape. The packaging is just a plastic zip lock bag with a stapled card, the standard most fingerboard products use.

Approximate dimensions
Tape width: 39mm
Tape length: 110mm
Tape thickness: 1mm

Transaction Details
Price: Usually €5
Shipping cost: Usually €1.50
Time to arrive: ~1 month from Belgium to China

I cannot really comment on a purchase of the product since I acquired it for free to do this review. I have put the standard prices here for information. It may have taken a long time to get to me but it's usually a few days shipping if it's within Europe.

Tape applied
AceFingerboarding tape review Dsc03111

AceFingerboarding tape review Dsc03112

Tape first impressions/descriptions
Now, I'm poop at describing things but I'll try my best here. The AceFingerboarding tape is a porous type of tape (has a lot of holes). I would generally say it has larger pores than Riptape although Riptape is very inconsistent when it comes to having a standard. It feels just a little bit softer than Riptape too. I did say it was approximately 1mm thick but it feels actually thinner than all other 1mm tapes I've used.

As it is quite thin, it was very easy to cut. You also get a very clean cut.

With the large size of each sheet, it's easy to fit almost any deck.

Comparisons with Riptape classic
AceFingerboarding tape review Dsc03010

Riptape on top, AceFingerboarding tape (thinner) on bottom
AceFingerboarding tape review Dsc03110

Tape performance
The tape was very quick to wear into. Only a few days of fingerboarding (for a main setup) will break it into optimum form. I've been using this tape for over a month and I can tell it's a tape that will last a long time. I've experienced tapes with short lives (China tape, NoCo Foamy J) but this AceFingerboarding tape has no noticeable wear after over a month of use as a main setup. It has even survived being in my bag during the big flood in Beijing a couple of weeks ago with no damage. There will be a little bit of residue that seaps out over the side but that's common with many tapes such as Riptape. A key difference about this tape is that the thickness gives you greater feel of the deck and more control of the board, although this difference is not that huge; 1mm tapes are still good. By contrast to China tape, it is also not so thin that it wears out really easily.

Overall
Overall, this tape is an excellent tape. If you like tape with medium grip, porous, thin with good longevity then I'd highly recommend this tape. It's comparable to Riptape for many reasons and also has its differences. The price is quite good as it's a long lasting tape, you get 5 sheets and the dimensions mean they will fit even ridiculously fat decks.

I must mention that this review is just what I think about the tape. Reading/watching multiple reviews by different people is definitely recommended. Here's a great review from thefingerboarder.com - http://thefingerboarder.com/ace-grip-tape/#more-1040

Where to purchase
Well, you should be able to buy these on the website. I don't see any listings now but the packs have also been sold on eBay.

Closing comments
You may use this review and pictures, in part or in full, as long as you credit it to me and get permission from me.

If you have read this review and it was useful, please reply! Review threads don't always get a lot of replies, even if they are read. If you didn't like this review, please tell me why so I can improve! I am available to review other products should you have any products you want reviewing. Otherwise, I will continue to review whatever that takes my fancy.

If you like these reviews, you can view my other reviews here.

Next review - Pure OM 29mm deck
Back to top Go down
Luis Correia
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Luis Correia

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah really nice review Xi altought I think you should've compared it to other tape, like fbs (ot necessary I just think it would be a good Idea, idk if you have fbs or not but this just got into my head) super good review dude!
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 am

Well, it's closer to Rip than FBS. I was just trying to compare it to something similar.

Thanks for commenting!
Back to top Go down
keiranclen
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
keiranclen

Setup : Skate grip
OG Deck
TD LB trucks
FF G6 wheels.

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am

Awesome review very happy im guessing it's alot like yellowood tape.
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:36 am

sounds like slim tape x the first batch of ex tape.

I want some : o
Back to top Go down
James Johnson
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
James Johnson

Setup : Weca
BRT
JJ
FBS
FF teams

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Awesome review man ! happy
Back to top Go down
callumfb95
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
callumfb95

Setup : Blossom 32.5
Trucks
Oaks

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:02 pm

kerryDETH wrote:

I WANT SOME! it sounds like slim tape indeed and looks like it shocked

nice review Xi cool
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:04 pm

kerryDETH wrote:

wait ex tape from Harvey or slim tape from yellowood??
Back to top Go down
Ken .I
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ken .I

Setup : Blosom 32mm
Brt wides
Substance Zeros
Ace tape
TKY's

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I want some :-0
Back to top Go down
BrorS
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
BrorS

Setup : none unfortunately

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Love your reviews keep them comming happy
Back to top Go down
Jayden H.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Jayden H.

Setup : FF G15 Zeph Engraved
FBS(duh?)
Wide Brts w/green witchcraft bushings
FF BRR edition Turquoise

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:46 am

Nice review! Just wish it wasn't based in Belgium. /:
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Jayden H. wrote:

Well the owner did say he plans to operate with distributors.
Back to top Go down
MamadouSow
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
MamadouSow

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Nice review, tape looks nice!
Jayden H. wrote:
They will soon be on my shop! in <1-2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AceFingerboarding tape review   AceFingerboarding tape review Empty

Back to top Go down

AceFingerboarding tape review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1