Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalWhy did you start fingerboarding? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why did you start fingerboarding?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Low Ball
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Low Ball

Why did you start fingerboarding? Empty
PostSubject: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm

I started because I broke my foot back in 2007 when I was skateboarding, I was stuck at home and my friend came over with a wooden Tech Deck and he was messing around with it and I decided to play with it and it stuck with me
Back to top Go down
Jake R
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Jake R

Companies : ha
Setup : lovedrug
brt wides
sow S1

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:30 pm

my friend showed me tech decks when i was in like 1st grade and then i got TONS of them and 3 years ago i got my first wood fingerboard from another friend and they also got really popular at my school so i just stuck with them.
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:31 pm

Low Ball wrote:
I started because I broke my foot back in 2007 when I was skateboarding, I was stuck at home and my friend came over with a wooden Tech Deck and he was messing around with it and I decided to play with it and it stuck with me

wood techdeck in 2007?? scratch
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 pm

Mainly started because I thought it would be cool to be like Mike Schneider lol, then I found it was crazy fun and I kept on with it.
Back to top Go down
Low Ball
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Low Ball

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:40 pm

Noel wrote:
Low Ball wrote:

It was a wooden fingerboard duh!
fucking retard
Back to top Go down
Ken .I
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ken .I

Setup : Blosom 32mm
Brt wides
Substance Zeros
Ace tape
TKY's

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm

It was considered a cool in middle school and everyone had one so I bought one.
Back to top Go down
Low Ball
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Low Ball

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm

cool bitch^
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Low Ball wrote:
Noel wrote:
Low Ball wrote:

fucking retard

Not really obvious though is it?
fucking inbred
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Holden is so dumb. no other word to describe him.. he needs some help im not even joking now im being serious.
Back to top Go down
DimitarZlatarev
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
DimitarZlatarev

Setup : Berlinwood wide+low
Blackriver Trucks super silver wide 2.0
Flatface g6'd wheels

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 5:11 pm

Low Ball wrote:
Noel wrote:
Low Ball wrote:

fucking retard

Looool aren't you a bit rude huh ?!
Back to top Go down
Trevor Westad
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Trevor Westad

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm

I started cause it looked fun and I had tech decks. then I met Raymond Spartz and it just kinda took off from there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.forgivenfingerboards.com/
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

Companies : Mars Hill Fingerboarding
Setup : Compiny 33.5 Final Test Deck
ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions
Substance Single Bearings

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 6:38 pm

Messed around with Tech Decks going back like 10 years ago (or something like that; I was still in school). Skated for ages but was never any good. Gave up both, then picked up an old Tech Deck as a joke last November because work was getting hard to deal with (different story). It kept me sane, and eventually I found Unite and got my first Berlinwood for Christmas that year happy
Back to top Go down
TheFingerBreaker
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
TheFingerBreaker

Setup : Zilly Deck
Ytrucks X3
Winkler Wheels Classic
China Tape

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 pm

My friend showed me Tech Decks in like 3rd grade or something.I got obsessed and like started to build ramps all over my floor so yeah that's why happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/FingerBreaker07
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 9:20 pm

I think it must have been the year 1987 that was the time I first noticed some rumors, at a skatespot on my block we used to go skateboarding, of a kid two yrs older than me who had this thing called a fingerboard that he could skate with his fingers on a wooden ramp his father had cut out of a piece of wood.

This was so intresting that, because of my weird nature always making things I dont have yet, straight away I was cutting out a small skateboard graphic from a ad in a skateboard magazine and gluing it to the bottom of thin cardboard sheets carefully cut to shape and glued in plys. And for wheels small plastic beeds were used at this time. I remember the dude in the only sporting goods store in my area that sold skateboards was super puzzled about why I came in dragging my mom along to buy a strip of 20mm wide griptape.

Oh well..the deck was super fun, though very small and light. This was my first entry to the world of fingerboarding. At my young age at the time the fingerboard was a like heaven sent. Because with the power of that little deck at your fingertips you suddenly had the ability to mimic the styles of your favourite pro skaters, and the Powell team of course was the biggest influence at the time. This was such a unbeliavable feeling!

Here are some images of an old wooden DIY survivor of mine from a time long before tech decks hit the market. This was with me to school in my pen case every day to annoy the teachers..haha! I also had the KeaChain type of deck and a small plastic bananaboard but those are long gone Im afraid..

Why did you start fingerboarding? 430907_10151354701031001_397516597_n

If anyone from the future came to me and told me what it would evolve to today, I would have a hard time to beliave it all..lol!
Sorry for going on and on about it in my post, Its just that it is still so clear in my mind.. happy

Last edited by Bakko on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 9:30 pm

What're the trucks from? And it still looks pretty fun. Reminds me of the No Comply mini deck happy
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm

The trucks were completly DIY stuff. The bases is from some plastic parts of the things that slides in the rails for sliding curtains (the ones from school..lol) Wheels were from some random massacred toy car. Everything just shaped with a small knife and glued together. Its funny, cus my daughter is turning out to be just the same as me using glue, sissors and tape to make all sorts of clever things and she is only five..

Wish I had more of the really old stuff still around though! Maybe I find something in a cardboard box somewhere in the attic one day...who knows. Would be stoked if I did.. very happy
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Awesome. Wish I'd been more like that when I was a young 'un.
Back to top Go down
billydan224
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
billydan224

Setup : deck:roswells rd-2
trucks:roswell trucks
wheels:roswells bearing wheels
grip:riptape
Tuning:riptape

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 am

i started fingerboarding in may 2011 i started of with a broken tech deck i love doing it
Back to top Go down
Xavier
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Xavier

Setup : Whats a setup

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 3:36 am

skating got me into fingerboarding
Back to top Go down
willskate14
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
willskate14

Setup : both set up broken so im using my frind set up: restored Berlinwood, some tape fbs maybe, Winkler Wheels Big Daddy's, Y-trucks x4, Y-trucks bushings.

R.i.p my old zink :/

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 am

Xavier wrote:
skating got me into fingerboarding

Same thing.
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 am

I starting skateboarding when I was in 3-4 grade. I had an old school board with only one kick tail from like the 80's which I got at a garage sale.

In 5th grade I got a real modern professional skateboard. Two kick tails this time hahah

In 7th grade I saw my friend at school with a Techdeck and thought that it was the coolest thing ever in the world.. a mini skateboard WOW!

After seeing my friend with a Techdeck I immediately wanted one too. I believe that this happened around the year 1999 and that was when Teckdecks didn't cost $3 at Wallmart. This was when they first appeared and you could only get them at hobby shops and they cost like $12 and there was no concave on their decks. It was just pure flat.

When I first started fingerboarding I NEVER thought about actually trying to do an ollie with them or anything like that. When I was doing my tricks I used to just pick the board up with my fingers and throw it on stuff. If I wanted to kickflip to a 50-50 grind, I would pick the board up with my thumb and fingers and flip the board with my fingers and then try and land the grind. lol

In 8th grade there was this punk kid that I didn't like and I saw him with a fingerboard. Then I saw him ollie over a can of soda and I was like "Whooooaaahhhh!". I never thought that you could use a fingerboard in the same way that you could use a skateboard. So after school that day I went home and set a can of beans or veggies on the kitchen counter and I tried over and over again to actually ollie over the can.

Eventually I finally did ollie over the can and after that I started pushing myself to learn better and newer tricks. After I started getting pretty good I then changed from using three fingers to a more realistic two fingers style.

I continued fingerboarding with Techdecks for many years eventually building many ramps and building an entire fingerboard skatepark all out of wood that I had at my house. I'll show you guys pics someday of it.

As the years grew on I eventually got board with fingerboarding and didn't do it that much as I was focusing on school and my college degree. I still loved fingerboarding, but just didn't do it that often anymore.

WARNING CURSE WORDS AHEAD!!!

Then one day I log onto the Techdeck website just to see what is happening. It then turns out that they are having a Techdeck USA championship tour in the summer of 2011. I said OMG I can't believe it. This is a dream come true! Then I find out that they are coming to my state Texas! OMG you are joking right, hells YES! Then I find out that they are coming to Houston Texas, my city!!!! Hells hells hells fuck yea! Then I find out that they are having it at South Side Skate Park, my skate park where I skate at and have gone to for years including going to all of the Skate Jams. I say to myself "Please God please God please tell me that I haven't missed this event." Then I look at the date and I FUCKING MISSED IT BY FUCKING 12 FUCKING FUCKING DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then picked up my Techdeck and slammed it onto the floor and opened my front door to my house and then started running out my block doing laps over and over again saying "Oh my FUCKING GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

After this horrible and tragic event I told myself that it is now my destiny to go to a Rendezvous event! Which I hope to go to one soon either this Spring or this Fall 2013. Now after being rekindled into fingerboarding I started going to all of the various fingerboarding companies websites and to my surprise I found a bunch of wooden fingerboards. All this time I had been using PLASTIC Techdecks and now after seeing wooden fingerboards I then bought a few.

1. A Homewood

2. A Redemption

3. A Prototek

4. A Prowood

Since I had always used Techdecks I e-mailed a bunch of companies to see if they could make a Techdeck sized fingerboard for me. I had tried out a fatter deck like 29-30 mm wide deck, but honestly I don't like the wide decks and prefer a smaller size one. This is actually kind of funny because I also prefer a smaller width skateboard. I like the width to be 7.5 and anything bigger than gets on my nerves. Even 7.75 upsets me. I find that skinny boards are actually easier to flip in my opinion and I just like them better.

Anyways, after trying out a few of the various fingerboarding companies I ended up liking the Prowood the best so far. I still need to try out a bunch of other companies as well, but so far Prowood has fit my to my liking the best.

Also Prowood was one of the vary few companies that actually is willing to make a Techdeck sized fingerboard for me so you guys can't really hate on me for that. I mean if Berlinwood and Yellowwood don't not make my size how the heck am I supposed to use those boards? Although I still plan on purchasing them just for looks! happy

Then just when I thought it could get any better I orderd some bearing wheels. This was the best decision I EVER MADE! All this time I had been using those crappy Techdeck standard plastic wheels that you get in the package. The bearing wheels that I ordered where from Brokenknuckles and they were like $6. After using these wheels I can say for a fact that I will NEVER use those crappy plastic Techdeck wheels again. The difference is like night and day.

One of the things that I have still yet to do is to make a fingerboarding video and put it on Youtube. Hopefully this time will come soon. I could right now make a video, but I don't think that I want to as I don't have a camera that I believe will give me the results that I want. I want something to look professional. So I looked online and I found a site where you can rent a really good camera for like $200 for like 3 days. I don't know if its better to just buy a camera and own it or just rent a professional one for a few days, shoot the footage and then return the camera. All I really want is something that looks just as good as the videos on the Backriver Youtube page.

Anyway..... So that's why I started fingerboarding plus my fingerboarding history.

Oh, and by the I'm trying not to sound arrogant, but if I had gone to the Houston Techdeck event in 2011 without a shadow of a doubt I would have owned that contest and would have gone onto the finals in New York. I've been fingerboarding for over 10+ years and I had been wanting and dreaming to go to such an event for many years as well. If I had known about it, I probably would have built an entire fingerboard skatepark and would have brought it up for the event. I am so MAD about this that currently I'm still FUCKING MAD ABOUT THIS. Its less than an hours drive from my house. I would have NEVER missed this event in the world if I had known about it. And the thing is, IS that Techdeck NEVER really had done anything like this in the past before. It's not like as if they do this every year so that you know to look out for it. It was like a one of a kind event. Let me just say this..... did they do it again for the summer of 2012? NO!

Sorry to rant and rave about this, but I'm still very mad and upset about it.

Back to top Go down
Zach
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
Zach

Setup : Weca
Blackriver trucks
Flatface wheels

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 10:19 am

in primary school me and a friend used to bring tech decks in and make ramps out of card and stuff. At weekends we made ramps out of mdf happy When i got to secondary i met someone in the year above who skated and still used tech decks. We were then amazed to find bearing wheels and wooden decks so we got the cheapest fingerboard we could find happy
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 6:44 pm

I somebody with a tech deck. I was jealous and I didn't even know what it was. I bought one and the rest is history.
Back to top Go down
sebastiaanKruik
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
sebastiaanKruik

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 8:40 pm

for the money, fame and bitches
Back to top Go down
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 9:08 pm

sebastiaanKruik wrote:
for the money, fame and bitches
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did you start fingerboarding?   Why did you start fingerboarding? Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next