Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalVideos nowadays.. - Page 2 Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Videos nowadays..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Ellie wrote:

1) who cares if someone used a popular song. they like it, and that's great and perfectly fine so that's why they chose to use it. they're allowed to use anything they want.
who fucking cares if they use an HD camera
who fucking cares if they put in random shots

2) are you guys really complaining about how people put out their videos? if it bothers you so much, unsubscribe or just stop watching it

3) it's really not a big deal. that, plus they're just trying to put out their creativity out there (even if you guys don't think it's that great). everyone starts out from somewhere. why are you putting other people down for stuff that absolutely does not pertain to you guys at all?.

1) It's the fact that all of these videos look exactly the same, and you don't get recognized unless you make all of your videos like that. 90% of videos on unite are like this, which is the reason why I rarely take the time to watch a video on there.

2) I did, lol.

3) It's not creative, it's just copying the style of every other video that get's uploaded, it's the exact same problem as style in fingerboarding, people care too much about it. It's not even about the tricks in videos anymore, just vibes and how fancy you can make them look with a Canon.

Last edited by Danny Hynam on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Yeah, it does get annoying when everyone uses the same song like Sail, Little Talks, Home, etc. But just ignore them I guess. No matter what, there's always going to be people to copy others, you just have to ignore it.
Back to top Go down
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Landing tricks on camera is cool. Sure. But why is it wrong to want to spice it up a bit? Guess what, these angles and this style of editing/shot treatment were used in many other types of videos before people started using them on fingerboard videos. Why? Because they work. They are visually pleasing and you can't deny it even though everyone's doing similar stuff nowadays. They do it because it works for them. Bokeh? Rack focusing? Pan shots? Setting some type of mood? They do it because they want to try to entertain the viewer and themselves watching. It's not a crime. Also if having a similar style treatment = copying then I think the movie industry has a really big problem. There's only a few ways of treating a video and most people go for a 'chilled' feel and I don't think that's a crime either. Just do whatever you want. If a particular vibe works for you, why the hell not.

Just because style/editing treatment isn't compulsory, doesn't mean it's redundant and stupid.

Why bother growling at people who put in an effort to try to make their videos look better? If you're so bothered by their videos and the viewers they get, don't sub to them and come up with something so "original" and get successful with that then. Is fingerboarding even all about videos for you to want to control the content people put out? Simply put, it's none of your business. Some people take fingerboarding videos as a platform to learn more about film, editing and photography and creating content. You can't just blindly accuse them of being clones because in the end, everyone has a voice and everyone wants to be heard. You talk about just wanting to see the tricks and not the fancy editing, and yet you don't even give these people a chance. What, are the stuff they filmed not tricks too?

So why the negativity? There's nothing wrong with sharing and trying to make your stuff look nicer. Nice tricks and nice videos work hand in hand. Sure, 'nice' is subjective. What you're looking at are videos. They are meant to engage the viewer. A crazy trick can catch my attention, sure, but good pacing in editing (video fundamentals btw) and changing angles because certain tricks are more visible/look better in certain angles, etc, they help the viewer see what you're trying to land too. The first person who did this was probably like "Dude I'm sick of seeing people film all their tricks from the same one angle. Let's change it up a little!" - if you're not happy with that then backtrack and do all your tricks from the same angle and don't cut out the bails and don't forget to use a 1.3 megapixel webcam. Don't add music either. Or better still, just don't make videos and don't watch videos and that will save everyone's time.

Hate less, fingerboard more. Spend less time whining and go do something more productive instead.

tl;dr? Don't watch it if you don't like it. E N D
Back to top Go down
http://helloleitmotif.com
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 pm

Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Made my day^
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Thom McInally wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mUxjc5fJbI
Ahahah, quality. Made my day!

And yeah you could say it makes the video more interesting, and I'd respect that if these people had an interest in videography, and if they made it original. None of it is though, its just kids wanting to be famous so they replicate videos in every way possible, it's boring to watch typical fingerboard videos now because its never anything different. There's too much shit going on in videos to concentrate on the tricks, older videos were just tricks with a song, you could watch a video and appreciate the tricks, not just fancy editing.
Back to top Go down
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Thom McInally wrote:
Fuck yeah biscuits.
Back to top Go down
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Danny Hynam wrote:
Thom McInally wrote:
Ahahah, quality. Made my day!

And yeah you could say it makes the video more interesting, and I'd respect that if these people had an interest in videography, and if they made it original. None of it is though, its just kids wanting to be famous so they replicate videos in every way possible, it's boring to watch typical fingerboard videos now because its never anything different. There's too much shit going on in videos to concentrate on the tricks, older videos were just tricks with a song, you could watch a video and appreciate the tricks, not just fancy editing.

Well that depends I think. I use a HD camera but my edits are preeeetty basic with just simple cuts. Unless you're talking about ultra funky edits *coughtoeeeebexcoughcoughcough*? Then yes spamming a billion filters on a fingerboard video is too much and gives me a headache before I can see tricks getting landed. That, I will agree with.
Back to top Go down
Bobbernaut
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Bobbernaut

Setup : Homemade Mellow Wide Split
China Wides (Red/White)
No Comply's (Black)
CNC Bearing Wheels (Red)
China Foamtape (Black, duh)

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 am

Or when they only focus on the object, and they do an out of frame trick to land on the object..

Back to top Go down
Melvin A Thomas
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Melvin A Thomas

Companies : fingerboarding, robotic studies
Setup : Pure,tec deck independant trucks 32mm, susbatance Classic Reloaded.

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am

lmfao hahaha.
Back to top Go down
alexander
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
alexander

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:25 am

99.9% of fingerboard videos are really bad/have bad tricks now.
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 am

Well yeah, some people know how to make it work Hitoshi, I enjoy your video's because the tricks are pretty damn good.
Toebex, don't even get me started on him, jesus he's annoying.

I'm just getting at the fact that artsy editing shouldn't be the main focus in fingerboard videos;

I've watched this so many times, because it's straight to the point and just so sick.

Most of the video's on unite or here, I click off after the dumb ass intro and the first trick;

30 seconds before we actually see any fingerboarding?

It also encourages people who try to make their edits like this, and simply cannot achieve it, resulting in a terrible video;
Back to top Go down
Ken .I
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ken .I

Setup : Blosom 32mm
Brt wides
Substance Zeros
Ace tape
TKY's

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 am

Okay so what do you say a original video is like.

Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 7:11 am

Ken .I wrote:
Okay so what do you say a original video is like.

I don't know about you, but I've never seen anyone else make a fingerboard video about taking a dump?
Back to top Go down
TomColbert
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
TomColbert

Companies : Fingerboarding and Skateboarding
Setup : Yellowood Z3, Blackriver Trucks, Winkler Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 7:15 am

Thom McInally wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And I completely agree with what Danny's saying, people do like a kick flip 5-0 and slow mo it and edit in time with the drop of the song and everything, but it's a lock flip 5-0, bloody stupid, I like to improve with every video and do different tricks.

(Thanks for the post of my vid Dan very happy )
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/colbertfb?feature=mhum
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 am

Since we're talking about videos being too funky.. Overused video effects that occasionally piss me off despite the quality of the tricks and editing. Nothing against them. It's just that when a person uses it in more than one video I roll my eyes. If I did these back in school I think I would get scolded by my lecturers LOL. I think most people will recognise these.. They're pretty much the clichés, and this is why you feel like all the videos are the same:

1) That goddamn "flash" effect when someone lands something in sync with the music. Jesus christ nobody is taking a picture of you. You're just filming yourself..

2) Film burn/some analog-looking stuff. Using it once or twice is okay but some people use the same film burn in every single video. At the very least please just source out for different variations of film burn if you love it so much?

3) The footage "earthquake/vibrating". You ain't no godzilla.

4) Suddenly switching to black/white and colour again etc. When done right it looks nice. When done wrong you look ridiculous.

5) At the video intro, show one ultra fastforwarded clip with you trying to do tricks but bailing over and over.. and put the video title text ultra huge over it. I don't know why but it makes me want to slap someone.

And then we have people who:
1) Try to do pan shots and/or follow shots but their shutter speed is too low and hands are too shaky. STAHP

2) Follow shots but the camera is toooooo close to what they're trying to film and everything's out of frame.

3) Try to film a proper shot but there's too much of the table. Prop your stuff up on books, everyone. Or get a tripod. Learn how to frame your shots.

4) Try to slowmo but their video input shutter speed AND frame rate is crap so it looks choppy. Don't slowmo it because everyone else is.. If it's bad slowmo I'd rather you show me the normal 100% speed ykno?

5) Like Cedric highlighted, out-of-focus shots. Or landing way out of frame.

6) Adding song lyrics or random words. If you know what you are doing you can do this and make it look good, but most kids don't know shit about typography so no.

Finally back to everyone's main annoyance: if a person's tricks are genuinely terrible/sketchy or just.. yucky, no amount of good filming and editing or funky-ass effects can save them. I've seen a few individuals who can really film/edit despite being teenagers (working with a camera was a luxury that I barely had the chance to get hold of back in the day!) with potential in that area but honey their tricks make me want to cry. I'm not even that good at fingerboarding, man, still got a long way to go but I really don't know what they're doing with their boards sad I feel almost mean for saying this because I'm still on a beginner's level mostly at my one year mark hence not as experienced, but uuuuuuugh why. I guess people would rather watch steezy tricks with bad video compared to pretty video with bad tricks. So in the end if you don't know what you're doing read a tutorial if you really want to improve your filming. If you don't do that and still try too hard, I guess things may just backfire on you. hmm

BUUUT with that being said, everyone learns and was bad at some point. So you know, people will improve and all. One day in the future they will look back at their videos and go like "LOL what was I even doing?!"

Oh but if they're cocky af then just screw em k <3
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:40 am

myhotCaffeine wrote:
snip It's above.

Sums up everything.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

Companies : Mars Hill Fingerboarding
Setup : Compiny 33.5 Final Test Deck
ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions
Substance Single Bearings

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am

Well, I express my creativity through 5 minute edits where you don't see a fingerboard for half a minute, then drop mediocre tricks the rest of the time, ending with some rage, followed by a flip nose grind that I flip out over cos it took me ten minutes to land. Next time I'll go tw whole hog and set the edit to Two Door Cinema Club and film in on out of date Super Six. Maybe wear an idiotic SnapBack with some garish design on and roll my skin right trousers up to my arsehole. Sounds like a winner wink
Back to top Go down
TomColbert
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
TomColbert

Companies : Fingerboarding and Skateboarding
Setup : Yellowood Z3, Blackriver Trucks, Winkler Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Danny Hynam wrote:
It also encourages people who try to make their edits like this, and simply cannot achieve it, resulting in a terrible video;
Reason for bump- I find Vicky Wiz-Dog funny. She (which is a phrase I use very loosely) is on Flatface for her tits, there's so many better fingerboarders in this world, she doesn't promote the brand, and I don't understand how she has that many subs. If she was fit (she isn't) then I could see why, but i'd rather finger my non-existent cat. She annoys me so much how she left Blosom and sold all her decks, she is scum, I hope god strikes her and her lover boy toebex down.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/colbertfb?feature=mhum
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 pm

TomColbert wrote:
Danny Hynam wrote:
Reason for bump- I find Vicky Wiz-Dog funny. She (which is a phrase I use very loosely) is on Flatface for her tits, there's so many better fingerboarders in this world, she doesn't promote the brand, and I don't understand how she has that many subs. If she was fit (she isn't) then I could see why, but i'd rather finger my non-existent cat. She annoys me so much how she left Blosom and sold all her decks, she is scum, I hope god strikes her and her lover boy toebex down.

Just because a girl is sponsored, you automatically think it's only for her boobs? Girl fingerboarders being kinda more watched and having more attention = a given since more guys fingerboard, yes. It may or may not be a factor, but I don't think it will ever be a sole reason. From what I see she still does take attempts to promote Flatface as well so you know, don't start exaggerating just cuz you don't like her. Fingerboarding has always been more than just your looks or the way you fingerboard, and she's a close friend of Mike's. And it's his choice to sponsor her.. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It doesn't matter whether you find her appealing or not - because a) that is subjective and b) it sounds more like a personal attack now. I can understand that you're annoyed at the Blosom issue then, but srsly quit being so bitter about it and looking like you're starting to attack her on a personal level..? Be it whether it was her fault in that incident, people can potentially change anyway.. anyone can potentially change for the better. She looks really happy in Flatface now and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Btdubs, she and Toebex aren't even close anymore so ~meh. To wish something so terrible on someone though, doesn't make you that much of a higher or a better person. Don't forget she's a person too. Just like you. People have feelings. People are also more than just their hobbies or things they can do, or have done. We're not just nouns. Why are you letting these things you see define her as an entire person? For all you know she may be a lovely friend. I don't even know her and I barely even care about people much, but this is just kinda unfair to her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Videos nowadays..   Videos nowadays.. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Videos nowadays..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2