Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalHow to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jared
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jared

Companies : birdslayer
Setup : birdslayer / creamy goo
brt
ff brr ed

woob rlx / creamy goo
brt / wc
winkler big daddyz

How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! Empty
PostSubject: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 8:28 pm

As many of you know, tdlb's scratch up your rails and are not smooth at all. This is the main reason why I never used them, but with this method they work like a charm!

Ok, so what you will need:

Longboard truck hangar,
Regular tech deck or china truck baseplate.

All you need to do is put the longboard hangar on the regular techdeck baseplate, and you're good to go! This is the best way. I've spent hours sanding down kingpins to try to make the tdlb's scratch less, but it never worked. Once I tried this, it was as smooth as can be!

Longboard kingpins are very long. As you can see in this picture, the longboard kingpin (black) is much longer than the regular tech deck one. If you use a regular tech deck kingpin, it works great!
How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! Pictur37

*Please note that longboard hangars are angled, so if you are using thick bushings, your best bet would be to not use washers, because with the hangar angled, you will have less room for bushings.*
Back to top Go down
jackson
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
jackson

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 9:40 pm

thats awesome! yeah thats what i found works best with the set i had lol. good color choice on the baseplates for the picture too.
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, when I use witchcraft bushings on the longboard baseplates/kingpins I always just screw the nut all the way down (hangers and bushings off obviously) and then use a dremel tool to cut off all the length of the kingpin that is sticking out of the nut and carefully grind whats left so it is flush with the nut. Then unscrew the nut and put everything back together.

This works great.. cheers

If the kingpin`s angle needs to be changed one can simply very carefully slightly bend it, but it really is not really needed for this easy fix. I kinda do this mod to all similar trucks, apart from pro trucks that is..
Back to top Go down
Jared
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jared

brt
ff brr ed

woob rlx / creamy goo
brt / wc
winkler big daddyz

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Bakko wrote:
Well, when I use witchcraft bushings on the longboard baseplates/kingpins I always just screw the nut all the way down (hangers and bushings off obviously) and then use a dremel tool to cut off all the length of the kingpin that is sticking out of the nut and carefully grind whats left so it is flush with the nut. Then unscrew the nut and put everything back together.

This works great.. cheers

If the kingpin`s angle needs to be changed one can simply very carefully slightly bend it, but it really is not really needed for this easy fix. I kinda do this mod to all similar trucks, apart from pro trucks that is..

That is a great idea! Unfortunately not everyone has a dremel haha! Will eventually have to try this
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 11:27 pm

Yeah, thats so true. It can also be done with a simple hand crafting metal file. Works just the same as a dremel and is dirt cheap, but takes a little longer to use. When ever I shape hangers I usually start off with a small barrel sander tip on the dremel just to get the basic shape and then use a set of hand crafting metal files to round it off, it actually gives you the ability to be more precise then the electric grinder tools. At least that is my experience with it and I just prefer to do detail work like that. Sure I could just use my vertical milling device, but that again would be a bit overkill..lol!

happy
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 am

It's called grinding, who cares if it leaves scratches? cool

Anyway, good and easy fix for those it matters to.
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:23 am

Mikkel S wrote:
It's called grinding, who cares if it leaves scratches?

Well, in this case its the annoying hangups that needs a fix. That crazy kingpin bolt sticking several millimeters above the hanger sometimes..lol! Scratches never bothered me none.. cool
Back to top Go down
Yago
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Yago

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 10:44 pm

yes!
I'm using my longboard trucks with a brt baseplate and work really fine
Back to top Go down
http://theartofjak.tumblr.com/
GeraldineMilne
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
GeraldineMilne

Companies : Teak x GrindSir

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 10:53 pm

It's THAT easy? Dang, should have done this a long time ago tongue
Back to top Go down
Jared
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jared

brt
ff brr ed

woob rlx / creamy goo
brt / wc
winkler big daddyz

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 pm

GeraldineMilne wrote:
It's THAT easy? Dang, should have done this a long time ago tongue
Yup haha! Took me months until I realized this as well haha
Back to top Go down
Eric_Best
Council
Council
Eric_Best

Setup : catfishbbq, brts, ff wheels, fbs

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Wonder who gave you the idea wink
Back to top Go down
Jared
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jared

brt
ff brr ed

woob rlx / creamy goo
brt / wc
winkler big daddyz

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Eric_Best wrote:
Wonder who gave you the idea wink
lel
Back to top Go down
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:38 am

Yeah.. the angle of the kingpin is really bad sometimes and you can bend it more straight with plier or I use vicegrip pliers and lock it down then bend it.. Also put a washer on the bottom and witchcrafts with no top washer and they should fit without the kingpin being to long.. if its still to long then yeah cut or sand it down I personally like the length it gives you more room for washers with out smashing the shit out of the bushings...
Back to top Go down
http://brutalfingerboards.bigcartel.com/
Bakko
Bakko

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 2:10 am

Yeah, good point Trent! Some kinpins seem to be very short and some very long. So obviously youd have to make sure what length you are able to secure the nut at depending on what type of bushings are intended for use with the trucks..
Back to top Go down
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 4:26 am

Bakko wrote:
Yeah, good point Trent! Some kinpins seem to be very short and some very long. So obviously youd have to make sure what length you are able to secure the nut at depending on what type of bushings are intended for use with the trucks..
YES exactly!!  study 
Back to top Go down
http://brutalfingerboards.bigcartel.com/
snotjob
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
snotjob

Companies : Deadcat Co.
Setup : woob
brts
wheels
witchcrafts
deadcats

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am

i like bakkos idea
Back to top Go down
j peterson
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
j peterson

Setup : @indextheory

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! EmptyFri May 02, 2014 1:33 am

chris dunlop has another way to mod lb trucks and it works great cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!   How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails! Empty

Back to top Go down

How to make tech deck longboard trucks smooth on rails!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1