Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalNew To Fingerboarding  Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New To Fingerboarding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ckg2011
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Ckg2011

Setup :
Broken Knuckle People's Republic 30mm Wide 101mm Long.

New To Fingerboarding  Empty
PostSubject: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:03 am

Hello.  happy 

I am new to fingerboarding and I have been watching videos on YouTube. I am in awe of what I have been watching. So I decided to buy a complete board. I bought a Broken Knuckle People's Republic complete on Amazon.

I am 31 years old and I use to mess around with Tech Decks in high school. I have noticed that the complete I bought is a much better than the Tech Decks.

So I got my complete and put it together easy enough. I setup an old Tech Deck board on it's side and was able to ollie over it. But my ollie was very small and I was just making it over the Tech Deck. I am wondering how people are able to ollie so high? I put my middle finger on the tail of the board and my index just behind the front four bolts. I am only able to do small ollies.

I have noticed that I am having trouble sliding my index finger forward when I ollie.

What is the correct way to slap the tail to ollie with my middle finger? Is it a scooping motion or a quick slap motion. Am I suppose to raise my finger and slap the tail? If someone could provide any info. It would greatly appreciated.

I have watched a lot of videos but I feel like I am missing something to make the board pop high. An my fingers keep slipping off or the board flies away. I don't know if I need different tape then what Broken Knuckle gave me in the package?

If someone could provide info I would be really happy thank you. I really want to learn and progress.

Thank you.  happy 
Back to top Go down
snotjob
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
snotjob

Companies : Deadcat Co.
Setup : woob
brts
wheels
witchcrafts
deadcats

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 am

try to flick and pop around the same time , and try it on a couch coushing or ur arm to get a feel for an ollie. maybe riptape or fbs extra smooth would help you also you can get it at flatface fingerboards http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/tape/
Back to top Go down
Jayden H.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Jayden H.

Setup : FF G15 Zeph Engraved
FBS(duh?)
Wide Brts w/green witchcraft bushings
FF BRR edition Turquoise

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 am

Back to top Go down
eddie Victory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 am

i think if you already have a basic ollie down then all it takes is hours of practice an eventually you will be able to ollie much heigher an control the board more easily!

also if you thought your broken knuckle was a great improvement from a tech deck wait till you try a decent deck! i recomend you try a blosom or primitive or any of the companys from the scrolling banner above!

dont wory too much about how high you can ollie an just have fun  very happy
Back to top Go down
Ckg2011
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Ckg2011

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks for the info.

Also could some explain what higher and lower kicks will do? What is the difference? happy
Back to top Go down
Gabe fingerboarding
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Gabe fingerboarding

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 am

preference mostly
Back to top Go down
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Setup : Berlinwood Xwide:
X4's, China wheels, stock tuning
Brutal Custom:
TDLB's, Duros, witchcrafts
Zink, Ktown, 2 Bawsewoods, 2 woobs, Beastpants, Cowply:
All have wide BRT's, Oaks or FF wheels, & Witchrafts

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 am

I was super overwhelmed with all the different types of kicks and board sizes at first too man. It doesn't take long to really figure it out, and it really is just preference. The tail and nose wont incline as much or be as steep on a board with "low" kicks. High kicks obviously are steeper. Really comes down to opinion. I though I liked high kicks because I felt like I could pop the board more, but then I tried a really mellow board with low kicks and after getting used to it, I liked it just the same. So really just depends on what you prefer.
Back to top Go down
Mallory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Mallory

Companies : Unique Decks

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 1:19 am

high kicks are great for beginners because it is easier to pop higher.  after you get your basic tricks down, I would recommend going with a medium kick medium concave board. also try watching gary chin's tutorials on youtube.  that is how I learned most of my tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/weakfingers

this video is great for learning more about upgrading your setup
Back to top Go down
http://uniquedecks.co
Alex Morrow
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Alex Morrow

Setup : Deck: BW Wide Low Zeph
Trucks: BRT 2.0 32mm
Wheels: White classic Winklers
Witchcrafts
Tape: Prowood tape

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 1:54 am

^ Same. They're great.
Back to top Go down
Ckg2011
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Ckg2011

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm

So I have I think I am starting to get to motion of ollie while on flat ground. But the board still either flies out in front of me or just flips under my fingers. When I really concentrate on moving my index finger forward. I can land the ollie. But it is still small.

I was able to ollie on and pop shove it off. I was able to 50/50 grind and nose grind on the metal box.

I can ollie on top of this metal box. New To Fingerboarding  157du2h

I am wondering if a better deck and trucks and tape would be help? I was thinking of buying a

Homewood deck

Riptape

Bollie trucks

No Comply Lab Wheels

Would this be a good setup ?  happy 

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Jack B.
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jack B.

Setup : Berlinwood 33.3 Low
Winkler classics
TKY
BRT 2.0 Super Silver
FBS

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm

get a bunch of dvd cases, start with one and ollie on, then stack two and ollie on, keep adding untill you cant make it cleanly, kepp practising at this level and once you get it slowly keep practising and stacking

this method really helped me, got it from low to high in like 3 days, it does take practice though
Back to top Go down
AmandaW
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
AmandaW

Setup : Spectrum
BRT Wides
Grands
Witchcrafts

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Yeah dude, Homewood was my first fingerboard too. It's such a great deck.

As for the Riptape, I recommend FBS or slim and catchy because they're easier to wear into, and in my opinion, good for a first setup.

Oh, and Bollie trucks are just china.
Back to top Go down
Jared
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jared

Companies : birdslayer
Setup : birdslayer / creamy goo
brt
ff brr ed

woob rlx / creamy goo
brt / wc
winkler big daddyz

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah what amanda said ^
if you are buying rip, get the slim n catchy version, it's much grippier in a smaller amount of time.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : New To Fingerboarding  J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Ckg2011 wrote:

Homewood deck

Riptape

Bollie trucks

No Comply Lab Wheels

Thanks.

Sounds like a really good starting package. You could switch the bollies to Homewoods basic trucks as they are the exact same trucks but cheaper. And you could get some Foamy Greatness along with it, then you would only have to order from one place.
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Mikkel S wrote:
Ckg2011 wrote:

Homewood deck

Riptape

Bollie trucks

No Comply Lab Wheels

Thanks.

Sounds like a really good starting package. You could switch the bollies to Homewoods basic trucks as they are the exact same trucks but cheaper. And you could get some Foamy Greatness along with it, then you would only have to order from one place.

I agree with Mikkel. No point in buying bollie trucks, as theyre expensive and china. Get some Homewood basic trucks, and I would also recommend flatface, or any other non-china bushing. It will feel alot better.
Back to top Go down
Ckg2011
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Ckg2011

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 7:48 am

JakeC wrote:
Mikkel S wrote:
Ckg2011 wrote:

Homewood deck

Riptape

Bollie trucks

No Comply Lab Wheels

Thanks.

I agree with Mikkel. No point in buying bollie trucks, as theyre expensive and china. Get some Homewood basic trucks, and I would also recommend flatface, or any other non-china bushing. It will feel alot better.

Okay thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.  happy 
Back to top Go down
Ckg2011
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Ckg2011

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I have been practicing my ollies and I have done a couple of good decent height ollies. Most of the time the board flies forward when I try to slide my index finger forward. Or the board flips in place.

Also I have noticed that my fingers do not stay on the board. When I pop the board my fingers will not stay connected to the board.

On a positive side I have been doing some nose grinds, 50/50 grinds, manual to pop shove it, nose manual to pop shove it, 5.0 grinds.

I will tell you anyone who thinks fingerboarding is just people playing with toys and isn't hard. They are completely wrong. This is ever bit as hard as skateboarding. It's just fingerboarding there isn't the risk of injury.

I have been watching a ton of videos and like I said before. I am in awe of what I watch. happy
Back to top Go down
Jack B.
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jack B.

Setup : Berlinwood 33.3 Low
Winkler classics
TKY
BRT 2.0 Super Silver
FBS

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 pm

the reason that your fingers dont stay connected is because your hand is moving higher than the board will go , to prevent this you need to add a more forceful pop, thus making the board go higher and then your fingers will stay on it. Also if you are just seeing how high you can ollie, this usually ends up with your fingers coming off of the board because you will just keep raising your hand untill you notice your fingers come off and then slam down. Try not to do this, try and aim for something to ollie onto and pop harder than you usually would and it will stick to your fingers like glue baby.

hope this explained it a bit better, its all about the mindset
Back to top Go down
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

Setup : Woob & Brutal

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 7:01 pm

I just started a few months ago, I have ollies down now after weeks of practice!

The way I do them is much the same way as explained in the video guides on YouTube, though when folk say their middle finger is what moves itself to level out the board, I find my whole hand moves to get it level.

When I goto pop, my front finger is just behind the nuts, and my rear is flat down on the tip of the tail, I then flick my fingers from being flat to a 90 degree position, and that causes the deck to pop, from there my whole hand then slides up the deck to level it out, and I land.

I'm really having a hard time with kickflips though, sometimes I do them, and you get this feeling where the entire motion feels completely fluid and the flip goes smoothly, but I just can't figure out what it is that I'm doing to get that 'perfect' feeling with them.

Though it was the same with ollies, so I guess with more practice they will come. happy

Pointing finger, not middle!

Last edited by Enternamehere on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong finger mentioned!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New To Fingerboarding    New To Fingerboarding  Empty

Back to top Go down

New To Fingerboarding

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1