Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalHow to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ColbyR2067
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? Empty
PostSubject: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 1:26 am

So I've been Fingerboarding for about a year now, but one of the simpler things I absolutely cannot figure out how to do is cut decent mounting holes for my trucks in my grip. I usually just put grip on over the screws and don't worry about it until I take the grip off, but this is starting to prove impractical. Any tips?
Back to top Go down
Jared
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jared

Companies : birdslayer
Setup : birdslayer / creamy goo
brt
ff brr ed

woob rlx / creamy goo
brt / wc
winkler big daddyz

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 1:37 am

i just poke a hole with a tech deck tool and put the screws in..
after a while you learn it doesnt really matter how it looks as long as you can get screws in and out.

fuck that sounded weird
Back to top Go down
AmandaW
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
AmandaW

Setup : Spectrum
BRT Wides
Grands
Witchcrafts

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 1:54 am

I use a paper clip
Back to top Go down
snotjob
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
snotjob

Companies : Deadcat Co.
Setup : woob
brts
wheels
witchcrafts
deadcats

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 2:46 am

poke the holes with a toothpick and make sure they are solid in the hole, leave them in for 30 mins or so then ur holes are fine
Back to top Go down
kThumb
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
kThumb

Setup :
Woob rlx
Ytrucks/WCs
Subs
TNP

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 10:28 am

snotjob wrote:
poke the holes with a toothpick and make sure they are solid in the hole, leave them in for 30 mins or so then ur holes are fine
sounds good, need to try that. ugly holes are annoying...  wink 
Back to top Go down
Jack B.
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jack B.

Setup : Berlinwood 33.3 Low
Winkler classics
TKY
BRT 2.0 Super Silver
FBS

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 8:20 am

Does it not depend on the tape ? I'm pretty sure rip goes clean and so does china usually but like fbs and sandc are harder to get clean
Back to top Go down
Jaymes
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Jaymes

Companies : Arson decks

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 8:52 am

Tape on too, drill press with a 1/16 bit through the bottom of the deck. Perfect holes, then just spin a tool on the grip to make the holes a bit bigger. Works best in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

Setup : Woob & Brutal

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 9:02 am

I just use the screw driver side of my truck tool, well I use a drawing pin and push that through first, then take my tool and stick it into the counter sinks and turn gently until I can see the entire countersink, then fit my hardware.
Back to top Go down
Frostie
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Frostie

Setup : Woob RLX
BRTs
Winklers

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 9:26 am

Seamstress hole punch on a very small setting delivers perfect results... But you gotta create a template for the tape, then mark/punch holes before application.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Jaymes

Companies : Arson decks

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 10:15 am

Frostie wrote:
Seamstress hole punch on a very small setting delivers perfect results... But you gotta create a template for the tape, then mark/punch holes before application.
I used this to put a hole so I could tell nose from tail quickly and it does create perfect holes, just thought making a template would be a bit too much work, although it would be perfect, and people who know you know your grip jobs are precise as possible haha
Back to top Go down
Frostie
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Frostie

Setup : Woob RLX
BRTs
Winklers

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 10:22 am

Hahaha Jaymes! We stole the idea from you and adapted it!
Back to top Go down
BryanH
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
BryanH

Setup : Neztek Vulcan Custom
Brt's w/ Witchcrafts
G4's
Clean sheets

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 1:19 pm

use a mine screwdriver from those kits with about 5 little screwdriver, the biggest one with the phillips head always does it for me. Because it has bigger grooves than TD tools, it will grip the tape and rip it in a perfect circle happy

Yeah hightek, this thread is weird af hahahah
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 1:52 pm

I take a paper clip, and poke the holes through the bottom of the board. and i know exactly where to put the screws
Back to top Go down
parrish
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
parrish

Setup : FBS
woob square kicks
BRT wides
green witchcrafts
oaks white+

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 2:01 pm

I just stick the bolts in with the tape on.  Never had any issues.
Back to top Go down
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

Setup : Woob & Brutal

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? EmptySun May 25, 2014 11:34 am

^^That's what I tried with my Ambition, but the foam tape filled up the countersinks and the screws wouldn't reach the baseplates properly, much better to remove the tape from the holes first.

A seemstress hole punch, Paul?

Sounds like a cleaner method that scraping foam tape out with a truck tool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?   How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to cut truck mounting holes into grip tape?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1