Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalroswell rd-1, rd-5 Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

roswell rd-1, rd-5

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fingerfuzz
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Setup : Redemption fb, Roswell shaped trucks and cnc wheels. Redemption custom fiber7, Roswell shaped trucks, china clear wheels.

roswell rd-1, rd-5 Empty
PostSubject: roswell rd-1, rd-5   roswell rd-1, rd-5 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 6:20 am

Haven't done a review for a while, but I have always been meaning to buy some better decks (and trucks).  I decided to get Roswell's stuff, since the completes are very affordable for the quality.  I have bought these decks over the span of a couple months.  

Shipping/Ordering
This is very quick and took no time at all.  The only thing to be aware of is that you have many drop down menus when you are selecting how you want your deck.  Just make sure you make the right choices (you may need to explore around the site a bit to know which wheels you want exactly, etc).  Shipping was super fast (and cheap considering the speed), I don't live in the same state, but still, I was expecting it to take longer given the fact that it wasn't that expensive.  

**One point I will mention is that decks always arrive pre made apparently!  I personally don't like this**

both completes came w/ a tech deck tool.

Hardware
I know, stinks that they're pre made, though I wonder if you can request otherwise (should've tried that).  Wheels are cnc lathe, and they spin pretty well.  However, the backs of the wheels are a tad bit more open than your regular cnc wheels.  There's also slight tread detail on them.  They are definitely hard plastic though.  

Trucks seem to be Bollie 2.0.  I like this shape b/c it's really similar to pro level trucks, w/o breaking the bank.  The rd-1 has yellow hand painted trucks, but the quality of the painting was kinda messy.  However, the paint has stood up really well to a lot of grinding.  You can go pretty crazy w/ color matching since the baseplates and hangars can be painted different colors.  You can even change color of your bushings, speaking of bushings…

The supplied bushings are too hard for my taste.  It's pretty cheap for just a set of the softer ones, and they come in a variety of colors as well.  I personally like to use the soft bushings w/o washers, so I can tighten the trucks but they're still mushy.  

The illegal alien skins foam grip is great, but I think they may have changed it.  The rd-1 has a really thin grip which has set in nicely (i did put that on myself), while the rd-5 has a thicker foam grip.  I'm pretty sure they must have changed product.  The earlier stuff was better!

Deck
ok so rd-1 is the white deck, and rd-5 is the natural.  There are a lot of deck colors, but not many graphic choices, which is kinda a bummer.  The rd-1 is marketed as a dipped deck, but the quality of the graphic was not very good.  It did not look anywhere near as vibrant and sharp as the photo online, but the finish is nice and durable (more durable than a real wear).  rd-1 is also a pretty unique shape, w/ a concave that sort of continues through the tail and nose (you'll see in the pics).  I like the rd-1 b/c it's light and the plies are well pressed for a nice slim appearance (great for pop too!), but the shape is a little odd, and it seems to sit high up.

rd-5 looks a lot like a real skateboard.  I got it in natural, and the lacquer is pretty nice on the bottom, no defects, though it looks like it was handled right before it completely dried (fingerprint).  Edges are also not as well rounded as on the rd-1.  sad  rd-5 has a bigger wheelbase, so it's taking some getting used to.  Otherwise I'm very happy w/ such a realistic shape.  I wish the plies were thinner/pressed as well as the rd-1 however.  I swear it's also a bit heavier than the rd-1, which also means points off.  

Overall
Both decks are 30x100mm.  I'm still much more used to the rd-1, and it's more extreme shape makes flips easier.  But, I like the stability and looks of the rd-5.  Overall though, the rd-1 complete came better equipped and better made, so I would pick it over the rd-5.  Even if a deck doesn't interest you, I suggest their foam tape, shaped trucks, and wheels any day.

roswell rd-1, rd-5 10021415
roswell rd-1, rd-5 10021411
roswell rd-1, rd-5 10021412
roswell rd-1, rd-5 10021413
roswell rd-1, rd-5 10021414

i may add more pics of wheel detail, etc.

couple ollies and a bs flip
Back to top Go down

roswell rd-1, rd-5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1