Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalAfter fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete Empty
PostSubject: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Just picked up my $75 student part-time job paycheck, and I would like to upgrade from the Tech Deck I have been using to a nicer fingerboard. After even only a short time, this is such a fun and addictive little hobby that I know I will be in it for the long haul.

My question to you folks is: With $60-$70 or so, what complete would you recommend? I have been doing a bit of research, and I have come up with the following to consider:

Flat Face G14 (http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/flatface-g14-complete/), Trap complete (http://trapdecks.bigcartel.com/product/exotic-bacon-wood), and Bollie Blue Set (https://us.blackriver-shop.com/fingerboarding/bollie/bollie-blue-fingerboard-set.html).

I am planning on adding to it bit by bit over time with different pieces (Witchcraft bushings, better wheels, trucks, etc.), but I figure starting with a complete would be a good option and just going from there.

Thank you so much; any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited by basileus on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fujykky
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Fujykky

Setup : Cowply 33mm
wide brts/med oringz&witchcrafts
Nolliewheels little stones
mob grip

After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete Empty
PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 7:24 pm

flatface as it has g6 wheels wink
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Dang, looks like the G14 is currently unavailable. Do they go back in stock relatively quickly?
Back to top Go down
Fujykky
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Fujykky

mob grip

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 7:57 pm

dunno :/ maybe send mike an email and ask directly?
Back to top Go down
woob
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
woob

Companies : woob
Setup : woob

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Definitely get a flatface complete when you can.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/zmwoob
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 8:14 pm

From the FAQ:

Q: When will ________ product be available?
A: Products are hand made in limited quantities which takes a lot of time, so we usually don't know when any particular product is due to be in stock. Just check the site daily for new and restocked products.

Well, shoot. awkward
Back to top Go down
Matthew Taylor
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Matthew Taylor

Setup : Berlinwood, BRTs, WC, Winks, FBS.

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Try to stay away from Bollie completes. They are nasty.
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 12:14 am

Alright, thank you. I will check the FlatFace website daily until the G14 complete comes back into stock. The wait is already killing me! wink
Back to top Go down
brodyees
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
brodyees

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 3:18 am

just save up like 150$ and get a sick deck, oak wheels, blackriver trucks, fbs and witchcrafts!
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 1:50 pm

brodyees wrote:
just save up like 150$ and get a sick deck, oak wheels, blackriver trucks, fbs and witchcrafts!

What are fbs?

Thank you for the suggestions. I would just pick up parts separately, but I am afraid that I would not pick out proper parts that would work well together.
Back to top Go down
BryanH
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
BryanH

Setup : Neztek Vulcan Custom
Brt's w/ Witchcrafts
G4's
Clean sheets

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 2:08 pm

FBS is a very popular type of griptape for fingerboards. Te
I'm not sure if you know but most fingerboards use a soft sort of foamy grip compared to traditional style sandpaper grip.
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Oh, thank you.
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 4:14 pm

After pondering for a bit, I have done a little digging and have come up with a setup of various parts that I think would be suitable for my purposes, if the G14 complete does not come back in stock for quite some time. Would anyone be willing to offer some input? While not necessary, I'd sure appreciate it.

Deck: $31 Homewood (http://www.homewoodfb.com/homewood-alien-slug-graphic-deck-33mm-not-available/) - 32mm, New Mold Mid Shape

Trucks: $6 FlatFace Dump Trucks (http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/dump-trucks-random-color/)

Bushings: $7 Witchcraft (http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/witchcraft-bushings-12-colors/)

Wheels: $13 Bollie Green (https://us.blackriver-shop.com/winkler/bollie-wheels-green.html)

Tape: $13.50 FBS Extra Smooth Uncut (http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/fbs-extra-smooth-uncut/)

Tool: Tool (http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/tool/)

So, the total would be around $70. Would this be a decent setup? Or should I hold off for the G14 complete to come back into stock eventually?
Back to top Go down
Fujykky
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Fujykky

mob grip

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Everything else is good but id rather take the shop wheels (read cnc china bearing wheels) over the bollie ones. Bollies dont have bearings and cost more than shop wheels from homewood wink

Other than that.. Killer setup incomin!

Edit: well that was confusing to read heres the thing xd
buy homewood shop wheels rather than bollie very happy:D
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Fujykky wrote:
Everything else is good but id rather take the shop wheels (read cnc china bearing wheels) over the bollie ones. Bollies dont have bearings and cost more than shop wheels from homewood wink

Other than that.. Killer setup incomin!

Edit: well that was confusing to read heres the thing xd
buy homewood shop wheels rather than bollie very happy:D

Awesome, thanks for the clarification and feedback. I'll go for the Homewood shop wheels that are advertised on their homepage and keep the rest the same. Is there anything else that I will need to put the fingerboard together?
Back to top Go down
BryanH
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
BryanH

Setup : Neztek Vulcan Custom
Brt's w/ Witchcrafts
G4's
Clean sheets

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 10:40 pm

You'll need a file to fut the tape!
Back to top Go down
Fujykky
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Fujykky

mob grip

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 11:13 pm

nah i do it with just the grip of my screwdriver very happy it has just metal grip with some line pattern to make it "grippy" very happy but yeh a file is a way easier to do xd
Back to top Go down
fingerfuzz
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Setup : Redemption fb, Roswell shaped trucks and cnc wheels. Redemption custom fiber7, Roswell shaped trucks, china clear wheels.

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 12:51 am

Disposable nail files work well for cutting grip too. happy
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 1:08 am

You can also use scissors. Just use the scissors to score the grip until it starts to cut through. Hell I once gripped a board with a round pencil. Skategrip/sandpaper also works to cut grip.
Back to top Go down
basileus
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 3:14 am

I have a disposable nail file... perfect. I'll order all of these parts early next week. Thanks for the input everyone!
Back to top Go down
Joe Connelly
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Joe Connelly

Setup : cozy with cool guy wheels and trucks

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 3:57 am

id say go with ace3 tape or grey carpet from brutal fingerboards. theyre both cheaper, and grippier than fbs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete   After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete Empty

Back to top Go down

After fiddling around with a tech deck, I would like to upgrade to a good complete

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1