Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalExplaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Uncle Brigamini
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Uncle Brigamini

Companies : Witness. Fingerboards
Setup : Witness. 32mm
BRT Wides w/Beta Bushings
Oak RV2 Wheels

Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider Empty
PostSubject: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 7:41 pm

How do you explain fingerboarding to your friends/family and what is their reaction?  Usually, my friends and family sort of laugh when they first learn that fingerboarding is one on my main hobbies. They seem to view it as "playing with tech decks/plastic toy skateboards" because their only exposure (if any) to fingerboarding is seeing a tech deck at the toy store.  Especially as a 25 year old, there is a certain connotation that fingerboarding seems to carry to an outsider.

Sometimes I do show others YouTube videos and they will think it's interesting, but I can never get anyone interested enough to actually try the hobby out themselves.

What are your experiences?
Back to top Go down
http://witnessfingerboards.bigcartel.com
g.fb
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
g.fb

Setup : lakewoods & woobs

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Last year I used to fingerboard at lunch, and people didn't think much of it. They would just mind ther own business. When I asked my mom to drive me to Rendezvous 21, she was surprised that fingerboarding was an actual thing that many people of all ages did. And, when I got sponsored by Lakewood she finally accepted it as being a legitamate hobby.

I've never had someone laugh at me (at least not to my face) about fingerboarding. My mom just laughed in the car on our way home from vous because she claimed that everyone at the event looked like dorks (no offense to anyone at the event, as this includes myself).

I'm honestly one of the last people that someone would think to be a fingerboarder. I'm very girly, a female, and have no interest in skateboards. I guess the reaction is different for girls than they are for boys? idk but i've never hid fingerboarding from anyone, or been embarrased by it for that matter.

Not many people (outside of family, and the close friends that come to my house) know or remember that I fingerboard. I don't really tell people either because it's not something that comes up in conversation. But if I'm ever asked about any hobbies I may have I always mention fibgerboarding. People are usually really confused and don't understand that it's something that is related to Tech Decks, but done more seriously.. So i always just say that it's like (always hated to put it this way) Tech Decking, but I don't just randomly flick it and actually do the same tricks that can be done on a skateboard!
Back to top Go down
meekin
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
meekin

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 pm

its tech decking for anyone who doesn't actually know about what we do
Back to top Go down
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Setup : Berlinwood Xwide:
X4's, China wheels, stock tuning
Brutal Custom:
TDLB's, Duros, witchcrafts
Zink, Ktown, 2 Bawsewoods, 2 woobs, Beastpants, Cowply:
All have wide BRT's, Oaks or FF wheels, & Witchrafts

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 12:30 am

Some people think it's dope, especially if they see me do actual tricks and have some sort of skateboarding knowledge. Others are just the usual reaction. I tell people that I just constantly need something to be doing, progressing, and getting better at. And I love skateboarding, but dont have the time to skateboard anymore, so when Im home at night and could be wasting time watching youtube or other mindless things, I fingerboard. It still allows me to skateboard without actually skateboarding. I also just say like, yeah I realize it kinda looks like playing with toys, but it's way more involved than that and there's a lot more to it for myself and all the people involved. I also tell people were used to getting looked at strangely for it, but it's something I like to do and if it being wierd to other people mattered to me, then I wouldn't be able to do it. I also do parkour which no one takes very seriously either. That is a bit easier to explain though because Im a professional athlete with a successful business from it. And who is gunna complain if I bust a dope flip out in front of them? haha
Back to top Go down
Uncle Brigamini
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Uncle Brigamini

Oak RV2 Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 2:10 am

urbanjump wrote:
Some people think it's dope, especially if they see me do actual tricks and have some sort of skateboarding knowledge. Others are just the usual reaction. I tell people that I just constantly need something to be doing, progressing, and getting better at. And I love skateboarding, but dont have the time to skateboard anymore, so when Im home at night and could be wasting time watching youtube or other mindless things, I fingerboard. It still allows me to skateboard without actually skateboarding. I also just say like, yeah I realize it kinda looks like playing with toys, but it's way more involved than that and there's a lot more to it for myself and all the people involved. I also tell people were used to getting looked at strangely for it, but it's something I like to do and if it being wierd to other people mattered to me, then I wouldn't be able to do it. I also do parkour which no one takes very seriously either. That is a bit easier to explain though because Im a professional athlete with a successful business from it. And who is gunna complain if I bust a dope flip out in front of them? haha

I think that's a huge part of it...if someone has skateboard knowledge and even if they don't fingerboard themselves, they can easily recognize that you're not just mindlessly flicking the board but doing a controlled and deliberate trick.

And you have a parkour business? That's sweet
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 2:14 am

Uncle Brigamini wrote:
urbanjump wrote:

I think that's a huge part of it...if someone has skateboard knowledge and even if they don't fingerboard themselves, they can easily recognize that you're not just mindlessly flicking the board but doing a controlled and deliberate trick.  

And you have a parkour business?  That's sweet

This. Either people think fingerboarding is cool or it is lame but I have found if you can pull off a double ollie you can fuck with people's minds and their sense of gravity.
Back to top Go down
_Tim_
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 2:19 am

Last edited by _Tim_ on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarifying)
Back to top Go down
Twest
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Twest

Setup : Main:
-BeastPants
-Brts
-Winklers
-Witchcrafts
-Slim and Catchy

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 6:19 am

Lotta people ask if I'm happy or if I'm miserable because I have money... Money buys temporary pleasure; personal happiness and money are uncorrelated. The real issue, and the problem that transcends money, is fear. People are afraid of what others are going to think, fearful of things beyond their control, and most of all, people are afraid to just be themselves. Fear and judgement are the root of all evils, conquer those, and you will be happy - Dan Blizerian

A lot of people may not like this man, but what he says right here in the bold lettering is something I think we can all try to improve.

Trying to explain it to "outsiders" is tough, but I usually explain to them that it is skateboarding just on a miniature level. Same parts (Bearing wheels, Metal trucks, Pressed decks, etc) AND costs just as much if not more than a regular skateboard. They usually get a kick out of that.
Back to top Go down
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Setup : Berlinwood Xwide:
X4's, China wheels, stock tuning
Brutal Custom:
TDLB's, Duros, witchcrafts
Zink, Ktown, 2 Bawsewoods, 2 woobs, Beastpants, Cowply:
All have wide BRT's, Oaks or FF wheels, & Witchrafts

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 8:07 am

Uncle Brigamini wrote:
And you have a parkour business?  That's sweet

Not trying to hijack the thread, but yeah, it's a parkour gym/training facility. A skatepark for parkour per say. We run classes and have quite a lot of students of all ages. And we have open sessions to for anyone to come train and play.
photos and stuff on our website. www.thewaypk.com
Go to the media tab to see the official gym video. Super dope edit. Worth a watch.

And just to still be on topic, I've actually had little kids wonder why I'm playing with a mini skateboard, and not be able to understand why it costs more and how it is different than a tech deck and that I do actual tricks with it. Where as select older people are able to get that right away. So things can go both ways depending on the person.
Back to top Go down
Rens
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Rens

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 5:06 pm

i just say it's a hobby with a worldwide connection of people that instantly connect with each other because of that one rare hobby that they have in common in the first place.
i never guessed i'd travel to berlin or even the usa when i just started fingerboarding, but when you meet or talk to a scarce amount of people with such an underground/rare hobby you kinda feel obligatory to actually meet up.
Back to top Go down
KapitalJ
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
KapitalJ

Companies : Kapital Krete
Setup :
Woob ~Relax~
BRT's
Witchcrafts
Dual Oaks
Cleen Sheets

Level Up
32mm BRT
Witchcrafts
Joycults
ToeJam

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 5:15 pm

At the age of 37 I have learned not to give a fug about what others think.... You have to live your days for what makes you happy. This doesn't mean running around and telling everyone to F off.. just means you don't need others approval to do what makes you happy..

My family knows how passionate I was for skateboarding all of my life, and they realize that FB is an extension of that passion. As far as friends or co-workers... they might seem a little sceptical at first then I will show them a vid or something, and they always say "wow, I had no idea" lol.. most of my friends, family and co workers think it is stranger that I breed snakes...
Back to top Go down
Wes W.
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Wes W.

Setup : Redwolf regular shape 32.5
china wides
flatface user shangs
Cartwheels prototypes
unknown foam tape

Cowply c1 one of a kind split
brts
winks big daddy'z
Sean's bushings
fbs

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 2:23 am

I don't care who it is, I ALWAYS get the exact same response/reaction, "WOAH! Now tell me, how do you make it stick to your fingers?"
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 9:53 am

Wes W. wrote:
I don't care who it is, I ALWAYS get the exact same response/reaction, "WOAH! Now tell me, how do you make it stick to your fingers?"

The answer is a simple manipulation of gravity and momentum. That or duct tape.
Back to top Go down
Robert
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Robert

Setup : 卐卐卐

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Twest wrote:
AND costs just as much if not more than a regular skateboard. They usually get a kick out of that.

Ya everyone I've talked to about fingerboarding is shocked at how much the parts cost.
Back to top Go down
didi.kid
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
didi.kid

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Maybe my personal experience is influenced by how I look and by my past hobbies (If you don't know me ,I'm a tomboy looking girl who skates everyday to go to school ) but usually people don't get that surprised when I pick up my fingerboard !

They ask stuff, some ask more than others , but people are getting so open minded about this weird hobbies! It's as accepted as regular skating nowadays... All I can say is that they like everything except the noise ... but anyways ahahah
Back to top Go down
AxelWahl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
AxelWahl

Companies : I own Weca bi$h
Setup : Weca
Blackriver trucks
Bawse wheels

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 pm

i just fingerboarded in school before and literally no once has asked about it since, it's been like 5 years since i started doing it hahah
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axelwahl
Tomás Dejean
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Tomás Dejean

Setup : Berlinwood- TopTrucks - RoolWheels

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Nobody never ask me about fingerboarding, i mean,what is this? "get out from the closet"? hahahaha
I introduced my friend into fingerboarding but he just forget this with the time, and the only hater that used to have was my sister, she used to always say "Tomás,SHUT THE F*CK UP THAT SH*T OR I WILL KICK YOUR *SS, THAT STUP*D TECHDECK IS INSUPPORTABLE!!!" Thats all very happy

EDIT: If someone ask me about it, i will explain to him exactly what it is,just a skateboard deck mini replica that you can use to perform all skateboarding tricks with the same technic that you use with your feet,but with your fingers
Back to top Go down
DadeKing
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
DadeKing

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 6:29 am

I explain it as "simulated skateboarding" because that's really how I see it. And as far as close family, I relate a lot to KapitalJ in that they understand it is an extension of my love for board sports. Very interesting topic!
Back to top Go down
Roger Rogerson
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Roger Rogerson

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 3:24 am

KapitalJ wrote:
At the age of 37 I have learned not to give a fug about what others think.... You have to live your days for what makes you happy. This doesn't mean running around and telling everyone to F off.. just means you don't need others approval to do what makes you happy..

My family knows how passionate I was for skateboarding all of my life, and they realize that FB is an extension of that passion. As far as friends or co-workers... they might seem a little sceptical at first then I will show them a vid or something, and they always say "wow, I had no idea" lol.. most of my friends, family and co workers think it is stranger that I breed snakes...

Well put...that's exactly how I feel about it!
Back to top Go down
InstaFinga
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
InstaFinga

Setup : Homewood 33mm High Mold, Wide BRTs, Oak RV2, Teak Tuning - CaliFingers 33mm, YTrucks, YWheels

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm 27 and have many people come to my house and say "uh..you still play with Tech Decks?" when I have my fingerboard out on the counter. I usually say "yea I fingerboard, it's not actually a Tech Deck it's a pretty legit finger skateboard that has the same quality and parts of a real skateboard. Let me show you". As soon as they see me do a kickflip or a grind they are usually pretty impressed. I usually do a kickflip, an ollie, and then a grind and hand it to them to try out. After they realize it's pretty difficult they are impressed. After showing them my tricks and letting them try it out most people are pretty accepting of it. I've never been made fun of for it. Then again I have mini quad copters, RC cars, Xbox, and other "toys" I enjoy so they are used to me being me haha.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Brigamini
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Uncle Brigamini

Oak RV2 Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeah letting my friends try to even ollie usually quiets them up. I usually need to take my deck from them after 2-3 tries because I'm afraid of them breaking the deck with how hard they're slamming down on the tail when trying to Ollie
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 12:14 am

"You know how some people are good at skateboarding? Well I'm not, so I choose to be average at tiny skateboarding instead"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider   Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider Empty

Back to top Go down

Explaining Fingerboarding to an Outsider

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1