Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalDo You clean you bearings and how!? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do You clean you bearings and how!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
headstash
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
headstash

Companies : fingerboarding,skateboarding,cannabis,lsd,fun
Setup : redemption hybrid
td wides
shit wheels for now
redemption flo tape

Do You clean you bearings and how!? Empty
PostSubject: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:02 am

my bearings dont spin smooth i was wondering if you guys have any methods of cleaning them and breaking them in? thanks they're g6ds
'
Back to top Go down
Tim Lowery
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Tim Lowery

Companies : filming, baseball, and self pleasuring
Setup : Redemption NM
BLUEFLY WIDES
FBS ES
FlatFace G6 D Black

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:31 am

nope
Back to top Go down
http://www.hardknoxfbs.com
Nick Payne
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Nick Payne

Companies : fingerboarding,skating,guitar,filming
Setup : Hard Knox Deck,FBS.Y-Trucks(White),Substance Dual Gold(black)

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:01 am

nahh you can but no reason to
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NicholasScottPayne?feature=mhum
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 8:21 am

take the bearings out, soak them in white spirit for about 10 minutes, take them out and let them dry
now soak them in bearing lube for about 5 minutes, let them dry

that should work happy
Back to top Go down
TaylorT
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
TaylorT

Companies : Designer @ ¿Maybe? Skateboards, Live Video Director @ Westgate Chapel, Friend of Ollie @ Compiny Fingerboards
Setup : Until further notice:
Homewood New Mold (Red smokestack graphic)
Ytrucks X4 Tex Black
Flatface G6e's (or Oaks)
New Foamy Greatness

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 8:39 am

I've heard bearing lube screws up tiny bearings...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/FingerSeshNW
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am

Yeah Taylor I heard that too. Just pop the bearings out and either do what danny said but no bearing lube. Or just wipe the muck off them with a tissue.
Back to top Go down
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 am

Q-tip with water and rub, they're sealed bearings so it shouldn't affect them, it'll be on the axle side of things.
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Danny Hynam wrote:
take the bearings out, soak them in white spirit for about 10 minutes, take them out and let them dry
now soak them in bearing lube for about 5 minutes, let them dry

that should work happy

yeah thats going to pretty much make them worse Danny....it will make them better for a day or two, but after those 2 days...terrible than b4 bearings...
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:56 pm

it works fine on all mine :S idk then, i'd just go for what thom said, it cant be much to do with anything inside, unless it has dents in it or whatever
Back to top Go down
cherrygrip
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
cherrygrip

Setup : Temple Fingerboards
Blackriver Trucks
Oak wheels.
Foamy G.

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:58 am

Yeh, i heard that the bearings screw up after that. All i can say is DONT USE WD40! on any bearings! even skate beardings!
Back to top Go down
bobbysmokes
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
bobbysmokes

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:41 pm

the cover over the bearing is in no way water/ air tight, any liquid put on the outside or inside of the bearing races(cover) will get into the balls themselves for sure.

It's my understanding that the bearings are not to be introduced to any liquid, not water,oil,lubricant nothing
Back to top Go down
http://www.4cfingerboards.com
appleyard14
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
appleyard14

Setup : wood, metal, urethane, condoms

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 8:51 pm

i dont think fingerboard bearings get dirty enough to clean them. I think you just got a bad batch of bearings, just keep using em and hopefully they will get better. Dont bother cleaning em your not gonna find sand, dirt or anything else of that nature that you would usually find on your skate wheels.
Back to top Go down
headstash
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
headstash

Companies : fingerboarding,skateboarding,cannabis,lsd,fun
Setup : redemption hybrid
td wides
shit wheels for now
redemption flo tape

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 5:08 pm

thanks for the tips
Back to top Go down
Calico
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Calico

Companies : Calico Trucks
Setup : Kulture
BRT 1.0
Flatface brr edition
china shite

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 9:56 pm

Take em out, and put them in a little container or something filled with rubbing alcohol. Seal the container. Then, shake em around for a couple minutes, but don't do it too hard or you'll break the shields off and all the little balls will go everywhere. Then, put them on a paper towel and run over em with a blowdryer to get all the alcohol out.

From here, they shouldn't have any dirt in em anymore, but most of the lubrication will be gone too, so know you've got to lube them. This can be very hard or very easy, depending on how you do it. Here's my preferred method:

Get a can of Liquid Wrench (It's pentatrative oil, it might have a different name in the UK)
make sure the can has a straw/nozzle thing on it.
Spray a little onto the paper towel, and wait for the residue to bubble out of the tip of the nozzle
dab the bearings with the tip of the nozzle so that a tiny bit of the oil gets in each bearing.
Do this for all 4 bearings, and then let em dry on the paper towel. This should take like 20 minutes.
After that, put them back into your wheels and ride!

Note: If you have harder wheels FF G6d's, E's, O's and A's, It might be kind of hard to get the bearings out. If you can't pop them out with a TD tool, just leave them in the wheels and do everything else the same. Trying to force the bearings out can break the backs of your wheels and mess up the bearings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You clean you bearings and how!?   Do You clean you bearings and how!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do You clean you bearings and how!?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1