Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalShaping decks in mold problem. Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shaping decks in mold problem.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DavidAntonsen
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
DavidAntonsen

Companies : Fingerboarding,Pc games,music.
Setup : None at the moment

Shaping decks in mold problem. Empty
PostSubject: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 am

Yeah when i put a deck in my mold and and then use a vice to shape it, it always comes out with defined shape on one side and undefined on the other, i've had this same problem with 4 different molds so its not the molds problem but im wondering if theres a way to get even pressure all times somehow? should i use clamps instead or what?
Back to top Go down
Labrador_FB
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Labrador_FB

Companies : Labrador Fingerboards

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 3:59 pm

I had the same problem with my vice. I noticed that the sides of the vice weren't parallel and so it wasn't applying pressure evenly. I'm using clamps now, because they apply pressure evenly happy
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:14 pm

ive had this problem b4 lots.

in a nutshell, its your vice.

cheap crappy vices wont cut it. you need an oldschool badass heavy as fook vice that you cannot lift.....this will give even pressure...but not always.

basically you need a real good quality vice. something like you would see in a car workshop.

i went through over 5 vices to get to the one im at now. and its doing the job nicely.....other than that id suggest getting a hydraulic press, but these are not essential if you have the badass vice.

clamps wont give enough pressure to make a good deck.

ive seen hydraulic press's for 70 pounds. and thats cheap......other than that look at big carboot sales...thats where i got my current vice from....i paid around 40 quid for it....i was lucky really though as we have these huge markets near me that every fri/sat/sun their are traders their and people come from miles around....

alot of people dont realize the amount of problems involved with getting a quality deck....and the costs....and not to mention the knowledge you need.

hope that helps a little perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Labrador_FB
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Labrador_FB

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Helped me Blosom happy I've been looking around for a better vice but I can't afford anything right now, as I'm paying for some medical treatments and surgeries for my dog... But I've been making decks for awhile. The thing that shocked me the most was how much money I have to put in to find the right glue, laquer, etc. It makes me really respect other fingerboard companies that actually researched to find their products, and not just stuck to what the hardware store has to offer.
Back to top Go down
Finn S
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Finn S

Setup : Blosom 30.5
Winks
Brts
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:09 pm

I was really lucky, my dad has a vice from the 70's it works really well, I need to find some better glues now and get a decent template then my decks will probably be a bit better.
Back to top Go down
Labrador_FB
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Labrador_FB

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 pm

You are lucky happy My dad used to build houses before America's economy took a nosedive- he has lots of tools he's letting me use, but no drill press and the vice he has is crap. But I'm working on getting a job so I can afford to get some more tools. Drill press is such a necessity :3
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 pm

it might not be the end though......

are you pressing the decks correctly?

instead of placing your mold in the vice right at the top of the vice and closing it, place your mold right at the bottom of the vices jaws then tighten it.

the vice will have the most even pressure at the bottom of the jaws.....that might work.....try it.

and the thing with vices is that most 2nd hand ones have took a hammering.....they get used and abused.....they dont stay great forever under constant use...hence suggesting one you cannot lift wink
Back to top Go down
Labrador_FB
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Labrador_FB

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm

I'll try that Blosom, thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaping decks in mold problem.   Shaping decks in mold problem. Empty

Back to top Go down

Shaping decks in mold problem.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1