Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalCompiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

Companies : Mars Hill Fingerboarding
Setup : Compiny 33.5 Final Test Deck
ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions
Substance Single Bearings

Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review Empty
PostSubject: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Compiny Fingerboards 33.5mm Deck

About Me

I've been fingerboarding since late November 2011, and in this time have tried a good variety of decks in all shapes and sizes. My main set up is a Blosom 32.5mm with BRTs and Oaks, and Ace V2.

First Impressions

The deck came in a bubble mailer, as is fairly normal for air freight of that size, and was packaged in a zip lock bag with a handwritten cardboard label stapled to the top. This detailed the size and bottom ply. Also included was a sheet of the New Foamy G, a second deck (which I'll talk a little about later) and a letter explaining the second deck, and thanking me.
Upon first inspection I was overjoyed. The deck is huge (it is, after all, a full 1mm wider than a Blosom), the bottom ply is lovely and the shape is very nice. I did, however, notice that the holes towards the tail are a little skew.

Craftsmanship

Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review Image10

The craftsmanship on this dec has it's highs and lows. As I said before the holes at the back of the board are skew, meaning the truck is tilted slightly when set up. The holes at the top of the deck are also slightly off cent, but are straight. This said, the rounding is very good, the shape is symmetrical and the plys very well pressed. Perhaps the deck could do with a layer or two more lacquer, but that might just be personal opinion. Countersinks are great, and overall the craftsmanship is great. It is also very important to note that since relieving this deck Oliver has changed the way he drills his holes, so the latest batches of decks looks to have MUCH better holes placement. One thing I do have to mention; the second deck (the last of a test bunch he threw my way as an extra) did have some lacquer drips. The review deck had none of these, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Performance

I set the deck up with Foamy G, china trucks with rip tuning on the front and No Logo on the rear, and Sow S1s with washers.

Note; in the video I actually misunderstood Oliver's letter. I thought the test deck was actually the review deck. The trucks were off centre, the holes were awful, but it was STILL a wonderful deck to ride. The wheels are FF G7Ds and the tuning is No Logo betas on the bottoms of both trucks, and rip on the top of both. The photos at the end, however, A&E all of the review deck. Moral of the story? Don't open review decks in bed.

After having very few problems setting this deck up (all 8 screws went in), I set to work shredding it. Even despite the back truck being wonky and the front truck being off centre, this deck is one hell of a lot of fun. People who tend towards wider decks choose them because of the extra control they get from having more board to play around wit finger positioning; the Compiny deck certainly doesn't waste the extra millimetre it grants. Trés float effortlessly to my fingers, kickflips feel like a dream, and the ever elusive heelflip is easier on this than I've ever found it. The deck is also shorter than I'm used to (98mm as opposed to Blosom's 100mm if I remember rightly), which means my lanky fingers are less in the way of FF impossibles, etc. My favourite feature, however, is the concave (which is the deeper end of medium), and the high nose. The tail is the lovely mellow tail you'd expect of any modern shape, while the nose is a good few degrees higher than I expected. This has really benefited me in learning both switch and nollie tricks, making the pop on hollies and the catch of switch that little bit easier.

Final Thoughts

Lets be honest, if you don't like a 32mm deck, don't buy this. But if you do like wider decks, the Compiny gives you that little bit more bang for your buck, especially for anybody who wants to get really anal about finger positioning. Like I said before this deck is the last to be made with the old method of drilling, so holes on the new models should be absolutely fine and for $12 (I think), these are looking to be a steal. Customer service seems to be great as well; on hearing the holes weren't perfect he offered me a freebie to make up for it. I'd recommend people give these a go, support a great guy and get on board with fat, stumpy decks!

www.compiny.bigcartel.com
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Nice review! The decks look good. Hopefully someday he'll make 32mm's.
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Really good review man.
Back to top Go down
Ollie
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to write it man happy

Also rage I'm working on a mold for 32.5s right now!
Back to top Go down
Wilco
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Wilco

Companies : Wilco Fingerboarding
Setup : Flatface g13 32mm

PostSubject: Re: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 12:01 am

RageFB wrote:
Nice review! The decks look good. Hopefully someday he'll make 32mm's.
Back to top Go down
http://wilco.bigcartel.com
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

Companies : Mars Hill Fingerboarding
Setup : Compiny 33.5 Final Test Deck
ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions
Substance Single Bearings

PostSubject: Re: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 am

Honestly guys, wider is better! tongue Seriously though, so much control.
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 am

Oliver32.5 wrote:
Great review! Thanks for taking the time to write it man happy

Also rage I'm working on a mold for 32.5s right now!

Alright nice! I will for sure be on the lookout for those!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review   Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Compiny Decks 33.5 Mold Review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1