Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalYellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RM
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
RM

Companies : Music, FB, SB, Sporting
Setup : Woodguest Deck
FBS Extra Smooth Tape
Blackriver Trucks 2.0
Black RV Oak Wheels

Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... Empty
PostSubject: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Yellowood P-6 Deck ( Extra Wide Z2 Shape) Set up with Propaganda Trucks, Yellowood tape and Flatface g6as.

Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... Dsc02413

Specs:
31 mm wide
5 exotic plies - TOP Black, black, yellow, yellow, black BOTTOM
Asymmetrical/ Realistic style (tail smaller than nose)
Defined dips
Medium Kicks, Low/Med Concave
101 mm long

Shipping: Surprisingly good for a package from Portugal to Canada. 8 days total from when they shipped it out, which is a day or two less than a Blackriver package. The deck came in a regular bubble mailer with two stickers and the deck, nothing was damaged, but the stickers were bent out of shape. 9/10

First Impressions and packaging: The deck came in a professional clear plastic box that displayed the deck as well as information on the back. In the package, you got the deck, one piece of Yellowood Slimtape and 5 stickers. 2 large stickers were included as well outside the box. On first appearance, the deck looks nice. However at the tail, the yellow middle ply seems to be dark almost as if it was burned. It is not damaged but aesthetically this does not bode well with me. I can also notice some sanding issues on the tail. 7/10

Craftsmanship: This is where things get bad. Upon closer inspection, the sanding job was horribly done. One one side of the deck, the sanding is uneven and not straight and it is not hard to see a curve in the side because it wasnt sanded properly. The same is seen on the other side, except to a lesser degree. The tail and nose are both also poorly rounded and visibly uneven. As well, holes are drilled 1-2 mm too far to the left, making the trucks sit to the side of the board which looks terrible. The yellow ply also looks dark around both tails which makes it look worse. An even more amateur problem is the concave. The concave can be seen when you shine light on the bottom of the board and it is completely noticeable that the board was molded on a diagonal, because the concave does not go straight through the deck, instead it slants, which is a ridiculous mistake. The shape is well done and it seems sturdy, and its lacquered well. This is hardly any consolation though. As my first yellowood, I can say I am extremely disappointed. 4/10

Performance: Luckily the performance makes up for this deck's poor cosmetic looks. The pop is solid and the deck offers great control. The tail is shorter than the nose, which is a feature I enjoy as it adds to the control and is more realistic. I am finding however that the pop is a tad soggy, and it feels like it requires a lot of effort, especially when compared to a Berlinwood. The Width of the deck is ideal at 31 mm, although I would like it another mm wider. The deck still performs like a beauty providing stable control and solid pop. I've used many decks and I must say that this is in my top 3, just falling short of Berlinwood wides and Prowood extremes. 9/10

Overall: There are plenty of decks that perform like this one does, but have good craftsmanship. For such a prolific company I'm blown away at how many problems this deck had. I simply wont use this deck or support a company with such poor quality control. 7.25/10
PS:Although the deck was a nightmare on elm street, you should know that Yellowood Slimtape is the most amazing tape 've used in my life. Better than Rip, Foamy g, Foamy j, Redemption ass-tape, FBS, Protape, Lowpro tape. I strongly recommend grabbing as many packs as you can. Now. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:45 pm

I hope you realise the nose and the tail are supposed to be a completely different shape.. They are fully CNC'd so i think it's more your eyes playing tricks than the decks, especially with the concave.

I also find the pop on YW's too much in a sense, you have to get used to it, it's very solid.
Back to top Go down
RM
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
RM

FBS Extra Smooth Tape
Blackriver Trucks 2.0
Black RV Oak Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Thom McInally wrote:
I hope you realise the nose and the tail are supposed to be a completely different shape.. They are fully CNC'd so i think it's more your eyes playing tricks than the decks, especially with the concave.

I also find the pop on YW's too much in a sense, you have to get used to it, it's very solid.
im aware that the shape is supposed to be different, its that the tail itself is actually just poorly sanded on one side.
and ive shown the deck to many friends. without telling them the problems i asked them "see any problems with this?" and they pointed out the sanding and concave :/
Back to top Go down
chiller123
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
chiller123

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:50 pm

the deck looks like a cruiser in the photo o.O

...and i like it...
Back to top Go down
RM
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
RM

FBS Extra Smooth Tape
Blackriver Trucks 2.0
Black RV Oak Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:52 pm

To see some of the unevenness look at the picture at the bottom of the deck. the light peaking through should be a straight line, but it does show the sanding error and how the deck isnt straight
Back to top Go down
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Also, your issue with the plies, i think you're being a scrutinising there.. all of the decks are like that, and i know of a hell of a lot of other decks that plies change their colour towards the end of the deck. All old mold BW's with colours i've seen to have this, i have one myself.
Back to top Go down
RM
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
RM

FBS Extra Smooth Tape
Blackriver Trucks 2.0
Black RV Oak Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 am

Thom McInally wrote:
Also, your issue with the plies, i think you're being a scrutinising there.. all of the decks are like that, and i know of a hell of a lot of other decks that plies change their colour towards the end of the deck. All old mold BW's with colours i've seen to have this, i have one myself.

well that combines with the uneven sanding and holes screwed wrong is what contributed to the bad rating. i mean 30 euros for a deck i want it to be made perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 am

RM wrote:
Thom McInally wrote:

well that combines with the uneven sanding and holes screwed wrong is what contributed to the bad rating. i mean 30 euros for a deck i want it to be made perfectly.

My berlinwood nm plies are going purple 0.o
Back to top Go down
Alex.
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Alex.

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Take some more pictures dude so we can see more clearly what you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:52 pm

i agree with alex. the 1 photo you took makes the deck look like it's snapped on one of the tails.
Back to top Go down
Daniel.H
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daniel.H

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:10 pm

i can see differents in one of the sides in the picture where it doesnt quite make contact with the table.
Back to top Go down
cherrygrip
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
cherrygrip

Setup : Temple Fingerboards
Blackriver Trucks
Oak wheels.
Foamy G.

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:17 pm

^thats the point, yellowoods are wider at one end than the other.
And, yellowoods are damn sexy, i really like them, so I don't really agree with this review, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Back to top Go down
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Also, i checked my deck and it also has that gap when i lay it on the left side. It's clearly not a mistake, it's from how sharp the dips are.
Back to top Go down
RyanBraierLorimer
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
RyanBraierLorimer

Companies : Fingerboarding
Setup : Yellowood Wall, Black Ytrucks, Blue Winkler TLC's.

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 8:56 pm

This review is unfair, first of all i own 2 yellowoods both have outstanding quality in Pop, Lacquer and shape. The different color plies are affected by the venire they use which changes. For example have you ever seen a tree which stays a constant color?! No did not think so. Use the deck more and you will find that the width is suited for different people, if it does not fit YOUR fingers, thats not the companies fault, unless your sponsored by Yellowood, you cannont change the shape. Don't generalize when its just not suited for you. However the rest of this review is fairly accurate so bravo.
Back to top Go down
http://http//www.youtube.com/user/crazysoloreversevids
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm

please don't bump old topics, read the rules. locked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...   Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed... Empty

Back to top Go down

Yellowood P-6 wide deck REVIEW - not impressed...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1