Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalBroken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review Empty
PostSubject: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review Logo2
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards
Complete Review by Xi Jin

About me and this board
I have been fingerboarding for 11 years, finally picking up a sponsorship from Close Up in the last half year. I have been involved with the online scene on FFI, FBHQ and YouTube; Currently, I am a moderator on FBHQ. I have written fingerboard product reviews before as I am genuinely interested in fingerboard products and want to share the information. This is my 10th review.

As for experience with decks, I have had 26 different types of wooden fingerboards and have tried many more.

This board is a complete built with the original parts in the pack. I started using the board in November 2011 for over a month as a non-main board. The period of time elapsed since first using it is more than enough to write a review on it.

I pretty much just copy and paste this same format for all my reviews to save hassle. I personally prefer text-based reviews as opposed to video reviews as the reader can choose to read it at their own pace instead of being forced to follow the speed of the reviewer and who can often trail-off topic. I like to write my reviews detailed with enough information for potential buyers to know everything about the product before purchasing.

I apologise for using webcam pictures in the review. At the time of obtaining the product, my phone's 8.1MP camera, which I normally used, broke. I know both are low quality and I intend to buy a better camera this year.

Board setup - All from BKF
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review HfNV5

Company Profile
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards is a company usually percieved as a "China company". Their mass produced mass produced Chinese products they distribute include tape, bearing wheels, screws, nuts. I believe their trucks are custom painted to the non-standard colours. I am unsure where the truck tuning sets originate from but their decks are made in the USA. They have many different molds for their decks. They also have stickers. BKF primarily sells cheap complete boards that are attractive to newcomers, partly with the Chinese products to keep prices low. BKF regularly holds online contests, usually requiring videos for entries. This way, they can give out lots of boards to different people instead of having a regular team that gets all the free products from the company.

Deck graphic - "OREP"
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review 4Gczl

Deck Statistics
Deck Length: 101mm
Deck Width: 29mm
Nose and Tail concaves (dips): low
Rail to rail concave: low
Ply Construction: 4-ply, top to bottom - natural, natural, dark red, natural
Kicks: medium, 30-30, medium-short length
Asymmetry: no, it is symmetrical
Kingpin holes: none

I should note that this is the 30-30-05 mold deck, BKF also do decks in different molds.

Top of deck
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review NG9KK

Transaction Details
Price: -
Shipping cost: -
Time to arrive: -

I personally won this board from the BKF End of Summer contest in August. I was one of 4 winners in the contest and my prize was that I could select any deck, trucks and wheels for a free complete board. They also sent an extra 3-pack of tape and some BKF stickers.

I cannot really comment on shipping time but it was a long time for them to send it from the US to my home in the UK. Unfortunately, they took a few extra weeks than I anticipated and I left the UK to work in China. After waiting for this package and another package, my mum posted everything to China which took around another month.

Picture of the packaging
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review UDDCV

Packaging
The packaging is reasonably well designed. Everything is put into suitably sized baggies with a printed card stapled on top with information on what is inside each packet.

Another angle of the top
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review 9fwqh

Deck shape from side
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review IWUUA

Set up
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review WAHNF

Deck Craftsmanship
The deck I personally received was OK in terms of craftsmanship.

With my deck:

The rails are perfectly perpendicular.
The kicks are perfectly shaped and round.
The lacquer is adequate and covers the entire board.
The mounting holes are countersunk but I think the countersinks aren't wide enough for the China screws; the screws go in but stick out a tiny bit. The positioning of the holes are also inconsistent and I could only manage to mount 7 screws after some effort but it's not disasterous and still works.
The bottom graphic appears to be a sticker or some kind of paper graphic and with a layer of lacquer over it. This was very disappointing to discover after sessioning the deck for a couple of weeks, the graphic started peeling up. Whilst the method of applying the graphic had no faults, the quality of this type of graphic application is not very good and people using one as a main board would suffer a peeling graphic much quicker than I did.
The top ply is very clean and smooth. It also has a nice combination of 3 stamps in different colours for a complete top BKF branding.
The plies are done nicely and are more colourful than the previous generation.

I personally think that the deck I chose was an old deck and they are probably able to make decks with better holes now but I wouldn't guarentee it.

Holes & 7 screws
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review J6uEL

Foam Tape - China tape
This is a short section, reviewing China tape for people who have not used it. China tape isn't all that bad although I would much rather recommend other tapes if they are available to you. China tape is a smooth style tape, grippy and is very thin. The thin attribute of the tape gives you better feel of the deck but is much weaker. If you are applying the tape, you should be careful or you could cut it wrong like I did. It might tape a few uses of the tape to get used to applying it. Also, putting the board unprotected in my pocket with my keys has the potential to really destroy the tape.

I do understand BKF are using the tape alongside the decks to produce the low priced complete package though.

Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review ONgXz

Wheels - China bearing wheels
For the same purpose as the previous section, these are my thoughts on the China wheels included in the BKF package. Note, there are many types of China wheels although this is the most common type. The wheels are more square compared to most fingerboard wheels but it isn't too bad of a shape. The main criticisms of China wheels lie in the quality control of the bearings, which often have wheels with bad bearings. Next is the material of the wheels which feels like some kind of cheap plastic and the sound and feel of rolling these wheels almost reaches the level of ew that makes me cringe... but it's still usable and much better than non-bearing wheels. Another point is that the wheels are molded rather than lathed so they aren't perfectly round and have marks from the mold. One of the things I quite dislike about these wheels are that they aren't backless when clearly they are mainly used with standard China trucks; this means that the backs of the wheels will have a lot of friction against the hanger, wearing the wheels and makes rolling difficult. Many BR/Y edition wheels can be like that but China wheels are clearly not for use on those types of trucks so this positioning of the bearings is a very poor design. It was also strange that I could not tighten every nut on every axle to allow each wheel to spin, some had to be superglued.

Wheels + Trucks
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review C9lTK

Trucks & Tuning
Now, these trucks are standard China trucks and I am sure most of you are familiar with China trucks so I won't go into detail about them. However, this is a custom "O-GLO" paint job. I chose the trucks to match the deck graphic but also wanted a colour that was a little different from the standard colours you get with China trucks. The colour is very vibrant and bright but I am not sure if it shows in the pictures. The paint retains quite well and it's not too different from other painted trucks.

The tuning is in the form of a steel inverted kingpin with a phillips head, a large and small bushing with a large and small washer for each truck. Fortunately, the kingpin hole on the baseplate is already enlarged to enable easy application of the inverted kingpin. Unfortunately, whilst these appear to be good tuning, it just doesn't work. The thickness of the bushings in addition to the thickness of the kingpin head make it impossible to have the kingpin head lower than the truck hanger, even if you tightened the kingpin extremely hard. This means the kingpin heads will get in the way of pretty much every grind.

Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review ROwOK

Overall Performance
I've skated the board for over a month and it's not that bad. People assume that BKF decks are China decks so this one reason why I decided to review it. Performance wise, the deck is almost comparable to a Redemption MMC but without the mellow qualities. The feel of the kicks, response of the pop and general shape remind me of the Redemption. In any case, this board ranks low on the decks I have tried but it's not a bad deck. It was also let down by the holes although they are still functional. I think it is a viable option for beginners to use but still, I believe there are better options for the same price range. I have had much better responding decks with better performing shapes which is why this deck ranks below many others. I detailed the problem with the kingpins sticking out over the hanger which get in the way of all grinds and the wheels are some of the worst bearing wheels there are (although much better than non-bearing wheels). With these issues and the wide availability of other options at a low price, I would not recommend buying the complete as a main board. If you happened to break something from your setup and had very little funds, I suppose you could buy parts as a temporary replacement.

I must mention that this review is just what I think about the board. Reading/watching multiple reviews by different people is definitely recommended.

Where to purchase
You can buy BKF completes directly from their website, http://brokenknucklefingerboards.com/

Current prices at the time of writing this review are:
Decks - $17
Trucks - $8
Wheels - $6
Tape - $1

You may use this review and pictures, in part or in full, as long as you credit it to me and get permission from me in a PM.

Konata sneaks up on Miku!
Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review GyIvi

If you have read this review and it was useful, please reply! Review threads don't always get a lot of replies, even if they are read. If you didn't like this review, please tell me why so I can improve! I am available to review other products should you have any products you want reviewing. Otherwise, I will continue to review whatever that takes my fancy.

Next review - Tech Deck Expert Sk8, Enjoi graphic, high concave/hard wheels.
Back to top Go down
CasparH
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
CasparH

Companies : SkullwoodWorkshops
Setup : Berlinwood My Name is Graphic
Wide Allen Key Trucks
Flatface G6 a´s
Riptape

I AM SWEDISH

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Nice Review man! I like the trucks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.skullwoodworkshops.weebly.com
fobbychowchow
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Companies : Fingerboarding, Longboarding
Setup : Flatface G12, FBS, BKF Trucks, Tech Deck wheels
Wood Comp Tech Deck G2, Ultra thin tape, stock setup

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 am

Sick review as always Xi! Man, I wish this was posted before I got my BKF trucks (2nd hand) when I was still a noob tongue Coulda saved me $5 ahha
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Well hey, the colours of the trucks do look nice and you can always just put in a different kingpin/tuning.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Your reviews are always good Xi!

This one was a bit predictable tho wink
Back to top Go down
fobbychowchow
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm

What different Kingpin/tuning would you recommend? Preferable one that sits below the hangar? Thanks in advance (:
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm

You need to find some screws that aren't too long and have a small head.
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 pm

fobbychowchow wrote:
What different Kingpin/tuning would you recommend? Preferable one that sits below the hangar? Thanks in advance (:

It might just be better to use a standard baseplate/kingpin/tuning, haha. Seeing as you're in Singapore, I don't know about local fingerboard companies to you. Apart from BKF inverted kingpins, the only other inverted kingpins I've put in myself are Snow Pins (Snow Distribution kingpins) which do sit below the hanger but the head wears away too easily from adjusting it. You might as well just buy some Ytrucks, haha.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:39 pm

If this was years ago i would recommend Arctic Tuning very happy

But while we are on the topic.. Why use inverted kingpins?
I only used them back in the days because the standard kingpins were sticking out on the wrong side of the baseplate.
Back to top Go down
sebastiaanKruik
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
sebastiaanKruik

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:55 pm

nice review
Back to top Go down
fobbychowchow
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Hmm yeah, thanks Xi. And Ytrucks are kinda outta my reach atm. Not getting them so soon.
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 4:27 pm

no thanks these decks dont look nice attall
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Banlyst wrote:
If this was years ago i would recommend Arctic Tuning very happy

But while we are on the topic.. Why use inverted kingpins?
I only used them back in the days because the standard kingpins were sticking out on the wrong side of the baseplate.

Heh. I like inverted kingpins actually. You get looser and smoother turning and don't necessarily need to use washers. I also think they look a little bit nicer than normal kingpins.

Here's my Soma/China wides/Snow pins/China bushings/Close Up metal core setup

Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review GhGb

Maybe I should consider modding my Close Up trucks o.o
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 pm

I agree about the looks!
Didn't think about washers, but inverted pins are just as much an upgrade as washers so i dont know if it really counts wink
Haven't noticed smoother turning, but i dont turn very much anyway..
I have inverted kingpins in my skateboard trucks, looks exactly like those Snow pins but chrome. Need to get some for my replica!
Back to top Go down
Xavier
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Xavier

Setup : Whats a setup

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Awesome Review Xi! Great as always.
Back to top Go down
fobbychowchow
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Thinking of getting Pro Mod Trucks. Supporting 2 local companies very happy Mod Trucks and EatMyFingerboard
Pro Mod Trucks
Back to top Go down
CasparH
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
CasparH

Companies : SkullwoodWorkshops
Setup : Berlinwood My Name is Graphic
Wide Allen Key Trucks
Flatface G6 a´s
Riptape

I AM SWEDISH

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 4:42 pm

The Peoples Republic Decks are just China Decks...

Dont bump old threads!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.skullwoodworkshops.weebly.com
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Well, it's not really that big of a bump. For a review board, a couple of months could still mean it is still relevant. The product is still in production and not discontinued.
Back to top Go down
ZappFB
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:01 am

fobbychowchow"]What different Kingpin/tuning would you recommend? Preferable one that sits below the hangar? Thanks in advance. Go get good trucks from monster decks(its a Sg company!)
Back to top Go down
BrorS
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
BrorS

Setup : none unfortunately

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

don't bump old threads
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review   Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review Empty

Back to top Go down

Broken Knuckle Fingerboards (BKF) complete review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1