Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalJay W Double Rail - Review Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jay W Double Rail - Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

Jay W Double Rail - Review Empty
PostSubject: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Double Rail - Jay W

Jay W Double Rail - Review File0124

About This Rail
So Jay made this rail, and I thought it looked interesting. I messaged him about buying one, and we arranged a trade for one. I got the package and Jay included 2 rails, and said he could have them both free if I review them! I asked for a custom length rail, which is a little shorter than the one that I am reviewing, however I prefer the longer length rail (pictured) that Jay added. I've had these rails about 2 month, so they've had a lot of use and the pictures were taken just now! I'm not sure how much Jay would sell these for, but I think he mentioned around $17? Don't quote me on that though!

Shipping
I'm in the UK, so shipping took just over a week, which is great! Jay shipped the rails very securely in paper and plastic bags, then put them in a box. The rails came perfect, and were not damaged in shipping! Jay even payed the shipping cost which was really awesome of him!
10/10

Craftsmanship
The rails are made using an angle grinder I believe, the edges are rounded very nicely and smoothly which is nice, the size was exactly as I asked for my custom rail, and there isn't many imperfections of the rail at all!
The rail is held together with some sort of epoxy, which has held strong all of this time that I've had the rails! the glue is visible, but the design wouldn't work if the glue wasn't. The legs of the rail are single pieces of metal that run straight through both levels of the rail, they are very flush with the top and it can't be felt when grind over. They are also drilled into the feet, and held with glue which makes them that little bit tighter!
There is a slight scratch mark on the top surface from the angle grinder, but it makes no difference to performance and it isn't very noticeable.
Over these 2 months or so, the rail has not rusted at all, so I doubt it will over any longer period of time!
Jay W Double Rail - Review File0125 Jay W Double Rail - Review File0126 Jay W Double Rail - Review File0127 Jay W Double Rail - Review File0128
Picture 1 - The scratch from the angle grinder.
Picture 2 - The glue on the underside of the rail.
Picture 3 - The glue on the feet of the rail.
Picture 4 - The rounded edges of the feet.
8/10

Performance
The performance of these rails is extremely nice, the fact that they are flat makes them much more fun than a round rail, and the sleek design seems to make them stand out much more than other rails. The surface is very smooth to grind on, and the edges don't mess up your deck because they are nice and smooth!
The height of this rail is also perfect (1.4 inches). It's perfect for the height of flips so that they don't look ridiculous, and it seems to flow really well because of the nice length too (8 inches). another nice thing about the performance of this rail is the sound, it has a nice ring to it. Whereas some rails such as BRR ring very loudly, and for ages, these rails ring nice and softly, and cease after about a second or two, which is great because it doesn't get annoying!
10/10

Overall
Overall, these rails are really great, they're durable, they perform well, and the price is great!
Whereas the craftsmanship could use a tiny bit of improvement on my rails, these were some of the first so I'm sure Jay has improved them since! The rails are very solid, fun, and unique!
Not only this, but Jay is a really nice guy and you definitely wouldn't regret buying one of these rails!

You can buy one by PM'ing Jay W on this forum!
Check out his wheels too, they're handmade, and look really great!
http://www.vivowheelco.bigcartel.com/

Jay W Double Rail - Review File0129

Also, I know this isn't the best review in the world, but you can get a general idea of how these rails are!

Last edited by Danny Hynam on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Jay W Double Rail - Review J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Sick sick sick sick!
Back to top Go down
Tyler
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Tyler

PostSubject: Re: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 pm

do want. jay, im coming for you!!!
Back to top Go down
Tomi
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

PostSubject: Re: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Good review Danny. I need to get my hands on one of these. And daamn your Mitt is sexy!
Back to top Go down
Ken .I
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ken .I

Setup : Blosom 32mm
Brt wides
Substance Zeros
Ace tape
TKY's

PostSubject: Re: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 pm

I love that metallic look!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jay W
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

Setup : G12
Brt's
Oaks
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks Danny! very happy
Back to top Go down
Melvin A Thomas
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Melvin A Thomas

Companies : fingerboarding, robotic studies
Setup : Pure,tec deck independant trucks 32mm, susbatance Classic Reloaded.

PostSubject: Re: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:32 pm

sick jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jay W Double Rail - Review   Jay W Double Rail - Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Jay W Double Rail - Review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1