Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalWhat's so good about different wheels and bearings? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's so good about different wheels and bearings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SemperFy
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

What's so good about different wheels and bearings? Empty
PostSubject: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 8:48 pm

I just started fingerboarding and I wonder why people like different kinds of bearings and wheels, I mean their just wheels and stuff, they do the same thing. Why does it matter?
Back to top Go down
mitch-03
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
mitch-03

Setup : Blosom 32.5mm <3
Brt Wides,
Oak Roots,
Ace tape.

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

wheels are the only part of a setup constantly on the surface. the main reason people like different wheels is the 'feel' of the wheels, and how smooth they roll.

it is all down to preferance, different wheels give a different feeling, it is just what you prefer.
Back to top Go down
MamadouSow
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
MamadouSow

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 10:44 pm

^What he said.
Some wheels roll smoother than others...some wheels roll farther than others.
Some wheels have a ton of grip, some have barely any grip.
It depends what you want to use the wheel for, like fingerboarding outside or vert etc

Bearing wheels definitely improve fingerboarding IMO, its almost a must have item. When you upgrade from tech deck wheels to bearing wheels you will see what I mean wink
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Wheels just feel nicer than normal techdrck wheels etc
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm

SemperFy wrote:
I just started fingerboarding and I wonder why people like different kinds of bearings and wheels, I mean their just wheels and stuff, they do the same thing. Why does it matter?

I see your point so I don't mean this in a mean way, but that's like thinking why should we all think? Why bother having opinions when every market in the world could be monopolised by one product for one single preference, which we'd all be brainwashed into sharing.

thought is a good thing very happy
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 pm

SemperFy wrote:

A lot of people thinjk this until they try bearing wheels, bearing wheels are probably one of the main parts of the 'pro' setup. Having smooth and fast wheels means that your style will be much smoother and have a lot more flow, you'll find that you have a lot more fluency with tricks because the beard has more momentum.
The board rolls with your hand rather than the board being pushed with your hard!
Back to top Go down
kiwi95
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer

Setup :

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 am

Danny Hynam wrote:
SemperFy wrote:

A lot of people thinjk this until they try bearing wheels, bearing wheels are probably one of the main parts of the 'pro' setup. Having smooth and fast wheels means that your style will be much smoother and have a lot more flow, you'll find that you have a lot more fluency with tricks because the beard has more momentum.
The board rolls with your hand rather than the board being pushed with your hard!

very true i have been fingerboarding since 2005 and just last month i got some roll9s my first bearing wheels , my tricks are a lot smoother,and everything flows
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 am

Danny Hynam wrote:
SemperFy wrote:

I personally prefer my beard not having momentum hmm
Back to top Go down
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:13 am

Oscar V. wrote:
Danny Hynam wrote:
SemperFy wrote:

I personally prefer my beard not having momentum hmm

It took me two minutes to sort this out and understand. hmm
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 am

If you know anyone with bearing wheels, you should try them and feel the difference. Bearingless wheels require a more forceful push to move the board. They will also wobble on the axle.
Back to top Go down
drogerija
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
drogerija

Setup : BW wide afrobi lasered
Brt's wide 2.0
tky + o-rings
Winklers green

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am

my experiance with wheels ...

so i used / how it feels to ride

Winklers / very easy to ride and hit tricks but only if u have Brrt's (plastic)
Flatface / same easy to ride and best for china trucks (plastic, or it depends wich model u buy)
Oaks / hard to ride for beginers , its harder to learn tricks on these wheels (Gummy / sticky) and oaks are proly the best wheels u can find [Dont buy if its your first set of pro wheels]
Substance / extra smooth , extremly good , best choice .. i cant say more ^^ (plastic/beter than flatface, or winklers)

so my sugestion is if u have BRT's go for Flatface brr edition wheels (cheaper than winklers) or winklers

if u use china trucks go for Flatface or Substance wheels

and after some time of riding (atleast 4-5 months) GO buy OAK wheels ,

about bearings , all wheels ive used had simular quality . so there isnt much to say obout that ..

Last edited by drogerija on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispeled)
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 11:44 am

drogerija wrote:

so i used / how it feels to ride

Winklers / very easy to ride and hit tricks but only if u have Brrt's (plastic)
Flatface / same easy to ride and best for china trucks (plastic, or it depends wich model u buy)
Oaks / hard to ride for beginers , its harder to learn tricks on these wheels (Gummy / sticky) and oaks are proly the best wheels u can find [Dont buy if its your first set of pro wheels]
Substance / extra smooth , extremly good , best choice .. i cant say more ^^ (plastic/beter than flatface, or winklers)

so my sugestion is if u have BRT's go for Flatface brr edition wheels (cheaper than winklers) or winklers

about bearings , all wheels ive used had simular quality . so there isnt much to say obout that ..

you misspelled misspelled. Moving on, There are some companies that use china bearings so watch out for that as some of their bearings are unsheilded which isn't good for outdoors.
Back to top Go down
eddie Victory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:00 pm

drogerija have you tried Y wheels? are they soft or hard wheels??? maybe i should have posted this in quick questions?!?
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 pm

eddie Victory wrote:
drogerija have you tried Y wheels? are they soft or hard wheels??? maybe i should have posted this in quick questions?!?

You should have posted this in qq. To answer your question, they are soft(?) wheels. They are very grippy, from what I've heard, more than oaks.
Back to top Go down
eddie Victory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:30 pm

thanks oscar, i was wondering if theyd be more like oaks, and as u can see i thought about posting it in quick questions, but it was this very thread that inspired my question so i thought it would be ok here.
i have noticed that there are some Y wheels coming out in white i may well treat myself to a pair since its nearly christmas

EDIT the white Y wheels are already available, just gotta wait till payday (tomorow i think whooooop)
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm

eddie Victory wrote:
thanks oscar, i was wondering if theyd be more like oaks, and as u can see i thought about posting it in quick questions, but it was this very thread that inspired my question so i thought it would be ok here.
i have noticed that there are some Y wheels coming out in white i may well treat myself to a pair since its nearly christmas

EDIT the white Y wheels are already available, just gotta wait till payday (tomorow i think whooooop)

IIRC Ywheels are available in clear and black. I'm gonna go check.

EDIT: I was wrong, they are available in white.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : What's so good about different wheels and bearings? J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:04 pm

drogerija wrote:

The latest collection of Substance wheels didn't have any pairs that would fit china trucks.
Substance wheels are usually centralized dual or single bearing wheels.

In my opinion Oaks and Substance wheels are the best choices of wheels. Oaks for rubber'ish feel, Substance for "plastic" feel. I prefer Substance wheels. Especially the ones of the THC material as they have a soft and smooth feel like no other wheel.

Oscar V. wrote:
There are some companies that use china bearings so watch out for that as some of their bearings are unsheilded which isn't good for outdoors.

The china wheels i had, had shielded bearings. But chinese bearings can be recognized from wobble and generally the fact that they aren't very precisely made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's so good about different wheels and bearings?   What's so good about different wheels and bearings? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's so good about different wheels and bearings?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1