Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalA issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
lurkskywalker
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
lurkskywalker

A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 8:53 am

nice cameras are really cool though and make the aesthetic value of videos much better.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
AxelWahl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
AxelWahl

Companies : I own Weca bi$h
Setup : Weca
Blackriver trucks
Bawse wheels

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 am

lurkskywalker wrote:
nice cameras are really cool though and make the aesthetic value of videos much better.

Just my 2 cents.
That's very true.
I would rather watch a video with awesome quality instead of watching a video with bad quality.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axelwahl
DimitarZlatarev
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
DimitarZlatarev

Setup : Berlinwood wide+low
Blackriver Trucks super silver wide 2.0
Flatface g6'd wheels

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Exactly.. And my point wasn't to say that with a good camera you become a pro.. I tried to say that if you wanna become more successful you'll have to get better camera 'dslr' so you can produce better quality and when making nice videos with sick tricks and nice style with a nice video edit .. BAM .. more people will subscribe to you and enjoy your work .. simple as that..
Back to top Go down
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I think I'm one of the proofs to what you're stating Dimitar. I had a simple point and shoot and had around 600 subscribers (which considering I've been fingerboarding for 8 years, and had that camera for 7 of them, it isn't a lot.). All of a sudden since getting a Canon SLR a little over a year ago, my subscribers flew upwards.

BUT, I should probably mention that I've always been grateful for any comments and general criticism I've ever received, even though I always take them with a pinch of salt as I try to improve with every video, haha
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

Companies : Mars Hill Fingerboarding
Setup : Compiny 33.5 Final Test Deck
ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions
Substance Single Bearings

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Thom McInally wrote:
I think I'm one of the proofs to what you're stating Dimitar. I had a simple point and shoot and had around 600 subscribers (which considering I've been fingerboarding for 8 years, and had that camera for 7 of them, it isn't a lot.). All of a sudden since getting a Canon SLR a little over a year ago, my subscribers flew upwards.

BUT, I should probably mention that I've always been grateful for any comments and general criticism I've ever received, even though I always take them with a pinch of salt as I try to improve with every video, haha

BUT, you had 600 followers. What he's saying is that people won't watch videos that aren't on a DSLR. I prefer crisp, well edited HD videos, so I'm more likely to subscribe. Doesn't mean that I won't watch or appreciate good fingerboarding, I just don't much like desk footage. Just me happy
Back to top Go down
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah but 600 over the course of 7 years! I was getting about 150 views by the end of that cameras life.

Just bide your time, it works out in the end.
Back to top Go down
Tyler
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Tyler

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:14 pm

fb 4 fun yo
Back to top Go down
DarianN
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
DarianN

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Thom McInally wrote:
All of a sudden since getting a Canon SLR a little over a year ago, my subscribers flew upwards.

I don't use an DSLR (;
Back to top Go down
DimitarZlatarev
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
DimitarZlatarev

Setup : Berlinwood wide+low
Blackriver Trucks super silver wide 2.0
Flatface g6'd wheels

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:41 pm

DarianN wrote:
Thom McInally wrote:
All of a sudden since getting a Canon SLR a little over a year ago, my subscribers flew upwards.

I don't use an DSLR (;

Thats just you.. We're talking about how you can achieve more in the community and get more popular and stuff. And how the camera is definetely going to help you..
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Get creative, publish often, mention Kerry in your title (my latte for Kerry is still my most watched video, and got me my most subscribers...)...that's my advice happy
Back to top Go down
cmpunkxx
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
cmpunkxx

Companies : bmx
Setup : og deck
riptape
xstuntz trucks and wheels

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 pm

dude go to a nurse if your having period pains

on a serious note. we should all just calm down man if you get comments and likes thats great but who gives a shit

just because they didnt comment on ur videos doesnt mean they dont like them happy

two fingers, peace
Back to top Go down
DarianN
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
DarianN

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 pm

SeamusMcFlurry wrote:
Get creative, publish often, mention Kerry in your title (my latte for Kerry is still my most watched video, and got me my most subscribers...)...that's my advice happy
Or make a cheesy comment about Kerry hahaaha.
When he found my channel, the first video video (of mine) he put on unite was 'Carry On'. So my comment to him was 'Kerry On' xD
Back to top Go down
cmpunkxx
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
cmpunkxx

Companies : bmx
Setup : og deck
riptape
xstuntz trucks and wheels

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm

im gonna call my next vid black belt kerryate
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm

DarianN wrote:
SeamusMcFlurry wrote:
Or make a cheesy comment about Kerry hahaaha.
When he found my channel, the first video video (of mine) he put on unite was 'Carry On'. So my comment to him was 'Kerry On' xD

Beautiful. As a lover of crap puns (served goose today I told my mum I'd give it a gander...) I greatly approve very happy
Back to top Go down
Ollie
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 7:42 pm

I have a Nikon d7000 and I don't ever film myself. I don't care about people seeing me ride, I just have fun fingerboarding and try my best to be part of the community. My advice for you would be to just ride! Go out there and have fun! Don't worry about views, likes, comments or subscribes. happy
Back to top Go down
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:48 pm

The harsh fact is this: people like nice things, and that includes things that look visually nice. Otherwise, the advertising and branding market will already be dead. Who doesn't like things that look nice? If a candy wrapper looks nicer, it's going to catch people's eyes more easily. It's a fact, but it's not compulsory.

What's the difference between a person who rides extremely well and a person who doesn't ride as well (perhaps decently, but not as crazy or intense as the former) but makes, or puts an effort to try to make visually-appealing videos? If you look at it, both are fingerboarders and both put effort in their riding the way they know they can. Look at it this way again - some people just happen to own the gear anyways (DSLRs and camcorders are actually getting way more common nowadays) so what's wrong with trying to make it look nicer for both oneself and the world to see? What's wrong with utilising what you have on your hands to create something that can spread positive vibes about what you like to do? And for your self to enjoy while watching? I'm not referring to people who specifically buy camera gear beyond their budget just because they think it can improve their "chances of getting sponsored" and "getting more views" though. That is really killing your wallet. Unless you want to take photography and film to the next level enough to justify the costs, don't get one.

I don't think there is even a right and wrong answer to this. IMO, video-making takes time, and some people put in more effort to get it done and it really shows. No, you don't need an expensive camera for a person to tell that you have put in effort. Also, if you did put in effort, chances are that you will improve in editing over time without even realising it. In fact, I think editing and filming techniques are sometimes more important than the camera or the lens. I'm no crazy-pro at fingerboarding or film and I haven't been around for many years like some others have, but I feel that be it whether you have a super great camera with a nice lens, or whether you just use your mobile phone to film yourself, you gotta probably remember that although the fingerboard community is very heavily based on how we network and communicate with one another on the internet and video sharing sites, fingerboarding ain't all about videos and views. Don't forget, we're all in this to have fun. You don't need to have all of that stuff to enjoy fingerboarding. The basic fundamental idea of fun is always what you make out of what you have. To me, seshing with my friends is the most fun thing about fingerboarding. Sometimes I leave my camera at home on purpose because I want to focus on the seshing and the fun and bonding more. Good times shared will always be with me, and I don't need anything more than that.
Back to top Go down
http://helloleitmotif.com
Strawberry_Crush
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Strawberry_Crush

Setup : Blosom 32.5mm / Ytrucks X4 / G6-5 / Riptape

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:53 pm

inb4 mhc

edit: aw darnit.
Back to top Go down
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Shush Bren.
Back to top Go down
http://helloleitmotif.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !   A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think ! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A issue that vexes a lot of people in the community.. I think !

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2