Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalDying Veneers Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dying Veneers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
neztek
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
neztek

Companies : Neztek Fingerboards Australia
Setup : NeztekFB 33.25mm. Deck
Y-Trucks X4 Tex Black
Winklers
Creamy Goo

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:35 am

I went into an art shop a couple of days ago and explained to the guy that I needed to stain veneers.I also showed him 1 of my first decks which I brought in a make it yourself pack.He mucked around with some different products and paints and then gave me a bottle of Tannin Sealer(for free) and told me to mix it with Acrylic paints and that will do the job.As I have never done this before I went woohoo and came home to color a sheet of veneer.He also told me that it would soak through thin veneers,but 2 days later and only 1 side of the veneer is the color that I wanted.I am starting to think that he didn't quite understand what I wanted to do.So I was thinking that fabric dye might be a good way to stain wood,or is there a better way to get the colors that I want?
Nez.
Back to top Go down
http://neztekfb.bigcartel.com
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:38 am

Good ol' rubbing alcohol and food coloring does the job for me.
Back to top Go down
neztek
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
neztek

Y-Trucks X4 Tex Black
Winklers
Creamy Goo

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

GunnerBoser wrote:

That's exactly the type of advice I am looking for,Cheers dude.
Back to top Go down
Harvey Glynn
Admin
Admin
Harvey Glynn

Companies : Ex-Tape
Setup : Home Made Deck
Ex-Tape
Y-Trucks X1
Pink G4 Buttas

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 am

i got some food coloring in a tub (not too diluted, make sure its strong) and just p[laced lots of plies in and left them for long enough (not too long) then let them dry happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.FingerboardHQ.net/
Jay W
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

Setup : G12
Brt's
Oaks
Rip

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:48 pm

GunnerBoser wrote:

thats some clutch advise right there

But yeah, food coloring does great. I used to use it, but then I found out that icing coloring gets you a wider range of colors. You've just got to do a few simple things...

1-spoon out a little of icing coloring into a water bottle that has been about 3/4 the way filled with rubbing alcohol. Youe got to spoon it because icing coloring is a gel.

2-shake the living shit out of it until its just one straight consistent colored liquid.

3-pour it out into a tub that you can put veneers in

This is the stuff I used. I think axel uses it too
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/.5-oz-12-pack-Icing-Colors/3665266/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=URvIsgAABWaCIGo2:20130309134727:s

Back to top Go down
morrowsnow
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
morrowsnow

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Jay W wrote:
GunnerBoser wrote:

thats some clutch advise right there

But yeah, food coloring does great. I used to use it, but then I found out that icing coloring gets you a wider range of colors. You've just got to do a few simple things...

1-spoon out a little of icing coloring into a water bottle that has been about 3/4 the way filled with rubbing alcohol. Youe got to spoon it because icing coloring is a gel.

2-shake the living shit out of it until its just one straight consistent colored liquid.

3-pour it out into a tub that you can put veneers in

This is the stuff I used. I think axel uses it too
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/.5-oz-12-pack-Icing-Colors/3665266/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=URvIsgAABWaCIGo2:20130309134727:s

Thats sick!

I just ordered some! very happy
Back to top Go down
Harvey Glynn
Admin
Admin
Harvey Glynn

Ex-Tape
Y-Trucks X1
Pink G4 Buttas

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Back to top Go down
neztek
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
neztek

Y-Trucks X4 Tex Black
Winklers
Creamy Goo

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks for the advice guys,I just followed the link to get the icing dye but when I got to the checkout it was going to cost me more in shipping than the actual product so I am going to see what prices I can get here in Australia.Also I will be endevouring to research the RIT dye prices aswell as food dye.
Bid Cheers to all who have responded Nez.
Back to top Go down
neztek
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
neztek

Y-Trucks X4 Tex Black
Winklers
Creamy Goo

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:32 pm

Bid?....Big.
Back to top Go down
Harvey Glynn
Admin
Admin
Harvey Glynn

Ex-Tape
Y-Trucks X1
Pink G4 Buttas

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 pm

hey bro next time you need to change something press the edit button happy as double posting in this forum is frowned upon, thanks very happy happy
Back to top Go down
neztek
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
neztek

Y-Trucks X4 Tex Black
Winklers
Creamy Goo

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:01 am

Alright,for starters sorry about the correction post.Now I know it wont happen again,this is the first forum that I have ever really posted on,I will learn.Anyway I went looking for rubbing alcohol and found it to be quite expensive so I tried methylated spirits which I already had at home and it seemed to work quite well.Is there a downside to using metho and if there is can anyone tell me what the negatives are?
Nez.
Back to top Go down
kiwi95
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer

Setup :

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 4:15 am

neztek wrote:
Alright,for starters sorry about the correction post.Now I know it wont happen again,this is the first forum that I have ever really posted on,I will learn.Anyway I went looking for rubbing alcohol and found it to be quite expensive so I tried methylated spirits which I already had at home and it seemed to work quite well.Is there a downside to using metho and if there is can anyone tell me what the negatives are?
Nez.
not to be a dick , but you need to find this stuff out by your self like everyone else did. test things out, we arent going to give you all of the answers.
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 12:30 pm

neztek wrote:
Nez.

Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits does exactly the same job as rubbing alcohol and works out decent enough. The clear plain alcohol smelling ones is best. To speed things up a bit one can DIY a simple tabletop infusor. A lot of info is out there man, do a little research trial and error to you find what works the best for you and what resources you have..
Back to top Go down
neztek
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
neztek

Y-Trucks X4 Tex Black
Winklers
Creamy Goo

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Hope that I haven't offended anyone with my questions,I am doing my own experiments and am only asking questions that I thought wouldn't tick anyone off.I do,have and will continue to research on my own.My impression of this forum was one of nurturing a growing sport with unity,and I suspect that it still is for most(I may be mistaken). Thanks to all who have happily shared their experience and knowledge as in turn when I too have,will do.Thanks for your response Bakko aswell.
Nez
Back to top Go down
morrowsnow
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
morrowsnow

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 10:52 pm

keelan W wrote:
neztek wrote:
Nez.
not to be a dick , but you need to find this stuff out by your self like everyone else did. test things out, we arent going to give you all of the answers.

What else is this fourm for then? Shiny pictures?

We are a community, and personally sharing how to dye veneer is a simple trick that isn't going to give away your "company secrets"

imo, you should help people out, and share knowledge with them, not keep it to yourself just because you have found something that works and want to hoard it.

And if you've improved your ways of dying veneer, tell others the simpler way and keep the other way to yourself...
Back to top Go down
kiwi95
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer

Setup :

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 11:08 pm

morrowsnow wrote:
keelan W wrote:
neztek wrote:
Nez.

What else is this fourm for then? Shiny pictures?

We are a community, and personally sharing how to dye veneer is a simple trick that isn't going to give away your "company secrets"

imo, you should help people out, and share knowledge with them, not keep it to yourself just because you have found something that works and want to hoard it.

And if you've improved your ways of dying veneer, tell others the simpler way and keep the other way to yourself...

making fingerboards is all about secrets , dont you think if everyone new how to do it , there wouldnt be any companies
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Keelan you've asked me for the brand of dye I use so I think this is a little hypocritical of you. Check out FFI's "how to" section for some really good tutorials.
Back to top Go down
kiwi95
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer

Setup :

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 am

Ryan wrote:
Keelan you've asked me for the brand of dye I use so I think this is a little hypocritical of you. Check out FFI's "how to" section for some really good tutorials.

i wasnt referring to dying woods . i meant in General fingerboard making , like everything. there are still many things you wont tell people., and i wasnt meaning like i havent ever asked a question . just pointing a fact out that if there was no secret to some things in making fingerboards everyone would do it.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:52 am

Practically everyone does do it lol.Sorry to burst your bubble. Not to mention that pretty much every thing about deck making is in the how to section on FFI. It just comes across as rude to shoot down someone for asking a question man. That's all I'm trying to get at happy
Back to top Go down
morrowsnow
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
morrowsnow

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 am

keelan W wrote:
Ryan wrote:

i wasnt referring to dying woods . i meant in General fingerboard making , like everything. there are still many things you wont tell people., and i wasnt meaning like i havent ever asked a question . just pointing a fact out that if there was no secret to some things in making fingerboards everyone would do it.

And I agree, there can be some secrets, but some things get out after a while, and need to be shared, like Mike's BRT's colored with Sally Hansen

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dying Veneers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Veneers   Dying Veneers Empty

Back to top Go down

Dying Veneers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1