Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSo I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I've been finger boarding for several years now...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah, on your next setup, get some trucks from No Comply, Either Icon wheels, or for cheaper get Bollie wheels(non bearing, but crazy smooth). Then buy a zink, temple, lovedrug, pure, or an OG deck.
Back to top Go down
FlyingDeadBird
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
FlyingDeadBird

Setup : -Berlinwood NM
-TD Trucks 29mm
-NC Lab wheels
-TD & NC tuning
-Ace tape V1

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 pm

No comply is my favorite company. There are always deals and high quality products for a good price! cool You should get their wheels.
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 12:06 pm

SurfLapras wrote:
Well, according to most sources Broken Knuckle only uses imported China trucks, wheels, screw, and all the metal and plastic parts.

They do make their own decks though and the decks are pretty high quality.

They did make their own decks but the last couple of times I've checked, all their decks in the webshop are generic Chinese decks. Also, I was a winner in a BKF competition and won a complete. There are several issues with the deck and the tuned trucks.

Please read this review: http://www.fingerboardhq.net/t7649-broken-knuckle-fingerboards-bkf-complete-review
Back to top Go down
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

Setup : Flatface G15, Ytrucks X4, Old Flatface Wheels, FBS

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 5:06 pm

I have read that review. wink
Back to top Go down
Thefingerboardingman
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Companies : The Fingerboarding Man Review's
Setup : BW
Bollie Trucks
Winkler Wheels Black River Edition

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 2:59 pm

I would say get a Close Up and Fingersized Truck Set Up Kit!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Th3FingerboardingMan
appleyard14
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
appleyard14

Setup : wood, metal, urethane, condoms

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 pm

its kind of funny how everyone is saying get truck kits from no comply, fingersized, closeup etc. When they are all china trucks anyway......?
Honestly surf just ride what you can afford right now, if its china so be it man. You don't owe this "scene" anything. And if fingerboarding is about 'fun' as much as everyone says, than this shit doesnt really matter. Obviously there are people here that support companies they respect and whatnot (me included). But don't let this bad stigma of china companies stray you from getting such an amazing upgrade from a techdeck. I rode a techdeck for almost 10 years and even without bearing wheels and cool trucks and all that stuff I was amazed at the difference of a wooden deck. Besides why would you buy a setup from 3 different companies? Then you have to wait for 3 different shipping times to setup your complete. If you can buy something cheap at one webshop and have it all shipped together (china or not) go with that. I know how impatient I get when I am waiting for stuff, haha. Especially when its going to be your first non techdeck product.
Back to top Go down
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Wow, thanks appleyard.

That was really a good lot of information for me right there. I'm sticking with the P-Rep for a bit. Or at least for as long as it lasts. The wood really isn't that great on it and I have already rubbed a lot of the lacquer and I just got it yesterday.

After it goes dead I'll buy a Pure deck but keep my same trucks and wheels.

Edit:

To customize my deck, tonight I plan to sand off the rest of the lacquer and paint over the plain bright wood with a nice bright blue and a funky tree design in black. happy

It will go nicely with the wheels.
Back to top Go down
Jack B.
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jack B.

Setup : Berlinwood 33.3 Low
Winkler classics
TKY
BRT 2.0 Super Silver
FBS

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 8:25 pm

You will need lacquer you know
Back to top Go down
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm

I already have lacquer. wink

And I just finished painting and lacquering it as well.

Made a natury design with a cotton tree thingy growing out of some grass with a blue base on the deck.

The laquer made it really shiny. happy
Back to top Go down
morrowsnow
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
morrowsnow

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 pm

I don't really understand what people mean when they say
SurfLapras wrote:
After it goes dead

because I have never had a fingerboard lose pop...

what are you talking about!? a haha
Back to top Go down
alexander
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
alexander

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 pm

morrowsnow wrote:
I don't really understand what people mean when they say
SurfLapras wrote:
After it goes dead

because I have never had a fingerboard lose pop...

what are you talking about!? a haha
because you dont use decks long enough for them to lose pop. fingerboards, like skateboards, lose pop over time and excessive use.
Back to top Go down
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Or you know, you do slides and grinds so much you wear down through the bottom ply. Haha.

Or yeah, break it in half or if it loses pop.

But yeah, you guys gotta see this paint job. Once I put the deck back together I'll try to find a camera around my house and upload it.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 pm

I don't really believe in fingerboards losing pop is that common. I still skate the first deck i made from the Lovedrug mold, it's been abused with every day use ever since i made it. It didn't loose any pop until the bottom ply started to split.. And even now it still has enough pop to be used.

Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 pm

I think that a board losing its pop can happen, just after a period of time. Just my thoughts though...
Back to top Go down
SamW
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
SamW

Companies : all of them

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 2:33 am

I've been skating for 10 years and I've never even had a skateboard "lose pop"
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/SammyWilken?feature=mhee
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:33 am

It will lose pop when your board snaps in half.

wink
Back to top Go down
ConcreteFBS
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
ConcreteFBS

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 7:14 pm

SamW wrote:
I've been skating for 10 years and I've never even had a skateboard "lose pop"
Then you cant be skating your boards for long then
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

I've heard of skateboards losing pop but not fingerboards. Also, I've never heard nor tried bottom plies wearing down both on skateboards and fingerboards.
Back to top Go down
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 1:43 am

Well, I think my next upgrade is:

My own deck that I'm going to be making this weekend. Making the mold friday then doing the rest saturday and sunday.

Then I'll probably buy the rest of the parts from no comply.
Back to top Go down
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 8:48 am

I think decks losing pop depends on where you live and how humid the weather is. I live in a country near the equator and if a deck goes on for some 3-4 months the pop really starts failing on you. At that point, switching decks will improve things.

No Comply has some of the best wheels on the market that are catered to people who don't use trucks like BRTs or Ytrucks. They are also extremely durable. I had like a 4th-handed set of abused Roll9s and they were still super duper fast and icy smooth. Get a set of Roll9s or Labs and they will probably last you for a really long time.

I think you should make a deck only after you have had experience with other decks on the market and find out what your preference is and what makes a good fingerboard and what doesn't. Otherwise you will be very disappointed when things don't work out that well. Do some looking around - a lot of companies that have threads on this forum have very good decks that are very affordable. And just because they are lower priced compared to Berlinwoods doesn't mean that they are bad. You will be blown away by most of them should you choose to put some money into them happy
Back to top Go down
http://helloleitmotif.com
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:38 am

I have no moneyz.

That's why I'm going to try and make a deck.
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm

myhotCaffeine wrote:
I think decks losing pop depends on where you live and how humid the weather is. I live in a country near the equator and if a deck goes on for some 3-4 months the pop really starts failing on you. At that point, switching decks will improve things.

No Comply has some of the best wheels on the market that are catered to people who don't use trucks like BRTs or Ytrucks. They are also extremely durable. I had like a 4th-handed set of abused Roll9s and they were still super duper fast and icy smooth. Get a set of Roll9s or Labs and they will probably last you for a really long time.

I think you should make a deck only after you have had experience with other decks on the market and find out what your preference is and what makes a good fingerboard and what doesn't. Otherwise you will be very disappointed when things don't work out that well. Do some looking around - a lot of companies that have threads on this forum have very good decks that are very affordable. And just because they are lower priced compared to Berlinwoods doesn't mean that they are bad. You will be blown away by most of them should you choose to put some money into them happy

Wut. That's awesome!

BTW it's gonna cost more making a good deck than buying a perfect one.
Back to top Go down
myhotCaffeine
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
myhotCaffeine

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Oscar V. wrote:
BTW it's gonna cost more making a good deck than buying a perfect one.

This is exactly the point I was trying to emphasize.

If you aren't sure about your deck preferences (concave, kick length, kick angle, kick roundness, width, length), you won't know what shape you want and you will spend a lot of time and wasted molds and veneers, as well as other materials, trying to get it right. It is also obvious that nobody's craftsmanship is perfect first-try - what makes a good deck? Good rounding/shaping skills, a consistent shape sticking to the template, the sanding, the drilling, the countersinking, the lacquering.. also the pop (which is a mystery you have to figure out because everyone has different trade secrets in regards to the type and amount of substance they use to stick the plies together (I hope you also know about cross plys too). Deck-making is for people who are ready to invest more time and money and it's a fun experience to make yourself some decks even if it's just for fun and not for business, but really it's a lot of time and effort and trial and error. If you make one now you will most likely end up buying a proper deck anyway.

Don't take this personally cuz I'm not being personal, but you aren't very ready yet and you really may spend more trying to get it right. If you don't have enough money, just save up till you do. If most of the kids here can, I don't see why you can't. You don't have to buy a Berlinwood.. there's WAY loads more of excellent decks out there that are in the range of 18-25 euros. And that's not too expensive at all compared to a Berlinwood.
Back to top Go down
http://helloleitmotif.com
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm

I agree Oliver. It cost me around $200 to but a mold,glue,veneer and lacquer and roughly a year to get my decks to a standard people considered good.
Back to top Go down
SurfLapras
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SurfLapras

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:55 pm

I have no way of making money though. That's the problem.

So I don't know how I'd buy a deck. I'd have to get sponsored or win a contest or something and win one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I've been finger boarding for several years now...   So I've been finger boarding for several years now... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So I've been finger boarding for several years now...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next