Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalFingerboards with stories behind them. Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fingerboards with stories behind them.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eavorclear
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Eavorclear

Setup : Custom Homewood deck 30mm, China trucks, china wheels.

Fingerboards with stories behind them. Empty
PostSubject: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 5:28 pm

As we all know, every fingerboard is a work of art, there's no doubt about that.
Recently I've been seeing some similarities between the fingerboard community and the sneaker community. for those of you who don't know, I collect shoes. Anyway, one thing that's always drawn me to certain sneakers is the fact that some sneakers are made with a certain concept. Take the Nike SB line for instance: Nike SBs are always releasing special shoes and colorways that have a story behind them. For example, the "beer" collection.

Heineken:
Fingerboards with stories behind them. Heineken

Newcastle:
Fingerboards with stories behind them. 1478920084523171811137308_l

Black and Tan (while this one isn't a beer brand it did stir up some controversy):
Fingerboards with stories behind them. Nike-sb-dunk-black-tan-qs-2

Etc.

Now you may be asking "Jeremy, what the hell do shoes have to do with fingerboarding?"
and here's my answer and question for discussion:

Don't you think it'd be neat if some deck makers took the idea of adding concepts to their fingerboards?
It doesn't even need to be a graphic, just like with sneakers it can just be a specially colored deck. I think that it'd be a great way to express not just the maker themselves but it could even drum up some business for the brand. Releasing limited decks that have a neat story behind them? Maybe a deck company can release their own decks that pay homage to the fingerboarding greats? Or maybe they can show us how much they themselves like beer? Every deck tells a story and I think it's a great idea the the scene can capitalize on.

You thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://eavorclear.tumblr.com
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Fingerboards with stories behind them. J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 pm

It's being done already isnt it?

Like when people make a deck for Unite reviews and either do a union jack split, or just make the plies the colours.
Back to top Go down
Eavorclear
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Eavorclear

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:10 pm

I haven't seen any yet.

I'll tell you what would be neat, though.
If Kerry made those review decks available through a contest or something.
It'd be cool to have a review deck that maybe had a bit of flaws or something that sets it apart from the decks that the brand sells.
Or if deck brands would send Kerry special decks made just for that.
Can you believe how awesome it'd be to say "I have this very rare [insert name of brand here] that was a review deck."
Back to top Go down
keiranclen
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
keiranclen

Setup : Skate grip
OG Deck
TD LB trucks
FF G6 wheels.

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Pretty sure he does giveaway some of  his review decks :PIn fact i'm pretty sure the OG he is giving away in the current comp was a review deck.

And what do you mean? like a deck series? Because most companys do them.
Back to top Go down
Eavorclear
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Eavorclear

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Well the Kerry has the right idea!

No, no, no.
Like, here's an example.

I have a deck company, and I'm really inspired by Streetlight Manifesto.
I'll make a limited deck release of different decks with a Streetlight graphic to represent my favorite band.

Or like, if I wanted to make some decks based on my favorite beer (Like the Nike SBs above)
I'd make a white and red split-ply to represent Red-Stripe.

Stuff like that.
Stuff that would make the consumer be like, "Yeah, these fingerboards in my collection have some history and they were a limited release."

If that's an example of a deck series then I apologize. I havne't been in the scene for too long.

Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Fingerboards with stories behind them. RjvfNOa

Temple x Lovedrug series.

People do colabs all the time man.
Lot's of limited editions are put out aswell.
Back to top Go down
Eavorclear
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Eavorclear

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah! Collabs are another thing I fogot to mention. I know collabs were done.
Lol, oh well. Let's lock this! tongue
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:09 pm

I think Jeremy's getting at series that are inspired by completely different brands? For example the Nike's had beer company colours.
So Fingerboards could be made into a series of split plies that match the colour schemes of beer cans too, as an example.
Back to top Go down
Pepe M.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Pepe M.

Setup : 29mm

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Kerrys monthly giveaways have review secks from unite
Back to top Go down
Tyler
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Tyler

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm

i have some limited edition secks cruisers. also a fingerblast bench, im one of the few people that have one happy thx ben bby
Back to top Go down
Eavorclear
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Eavorclear

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Danny Hynam wrote:
I think Jeremy's getting at series that are inspired by completely different brands? For example the Nike's had beer company colours.
So Fingerboards could be made into a series of split plies that match the colour schemes of beer cans too, as an example.

Ding, ding, ding!
That's the closest way I can put it. Thanks for putting it into words my fingers couldn't for some reason... But yeah. fingerboards inspired by different brands and different concepts.

EDIT: also the topic of the thread is a bit misleading. If we can't change it to something else that'd be great.
Back to top Go down
Zach
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
Zach

Setup : Weca
Blackriver trucks
Flatface wheels

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Weca decks made a water melon deck (not sure if there will be more)
Fingerboards with stories behind them. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR0N-qGytBs_KpxLW7NtfSnvB852QJXxSfsqjjF9atr-7F1uSg
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Well.. I doubt any indie fingerboard company would get permission to use lets say Heinekin in their advertising.

Fingerboarding is far smaller than the sneaker industry, so stuff like that is less likely.
Back to top Go down
huggiemanbearpig
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
huggiemanbearpig

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:58 pm

I THINK IT WOULD BE EPIC TO SEE THIS. It has been done before, but more people should do it, like when temple did breaking bad graphics. I love it when shoes do stuff like this, so an awsome concept,with fingerboards, would only be cooler.
Back to top Go down
Eavorclear
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Eavorclear

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Mikkel S wrote:
Well.. I doubt any indie fingerboard company would get permission to use lets say Heinekin in their advertising.

Fingerboarding is far smaller than the sneaker industry, so stuff like that is less likely.

What's neat is that Nike didn't get permission, they just passed it off as just some colorway that seemed normal.
no where on the shoe does it say "heineken" that's just the nickname of the shoe!

If there was a deck that was green with a red star on it the maker could say "Deck based off Heineken" and just like you said, the fingerboard industry is so small a huge corporation wouldn't even spot it on their radar.

huggiemanbearpig wrote:
I THINK IT WOULD BE EPIC TO SEE THIS. It has been done before, but more people should do it, like when temple did breaking bad graphics. I love it when shoes do stuff like this, so an awsome concept,with fingerboards, would only be cooler.

This guy knows what I'm talking about!
Back to top Go down
sweetbabies
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
sweetbabies

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Logo flips
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Ahh.. Well, then we wouldnt know when it happens i guess?
I'm not sure it would be legal to use the name Heinekin to sell the deck. Sure, it might not get seen by the corporations, but it's still a little shady IMO.

I'd much rather that people did some legit colabs, and i like the idea to take it further than fingerboard brand1 x fingerboard brand2, so that it actually makes fingerboarding more visible.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 pm

I actually did a Breaking Bad graphic series a while back. I agree with Mikkel though. I shouldn't have used someone elses art work. It was a little shady on my part.
Fingerboards with stories behind them. 110
Fingerboards with stories behind them. 210
Fingerboards with stories behind them. 310
Back to top Go down
Eavorclear
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Eavorclear

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Ryan wrote:
I actually did a Breaking Bad graphic series a while back. I agree with Mikkel though. I shouldn't have used someone elses art work. It was a little shady on my part.
Fingerboards with stories behind them. 110
Fingerboards with stories behind them. 210
Fingerboards with stories behind them. 310

While that may be true, I think they're awesome and I love the concept of them BB is one of my favorite series. A split-ply of the RV would be sick.
Back to top Go down
Tyler
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Tyler

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 12:46 am

i mean blackriver did the whole skateshop collab limited edition ramps? and i seem to recall berlinwood doing a collab deck with a skateshop in sweden...
Back to top Go down
Ollie
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 am

Hitoshi did a Heineken deck. Not really themed so much as a replica but the idea is definitely popular.Fingerboards with stories behind them. M675B7U
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fingerboards with stories behind them.   Fingerboards with stories behind them. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fingerboards with stories behind them.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1