Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalNew wide deck combined with regular trucks Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New wide deck combined with regular trucks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mb90
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Setup : Berlinwood Wide with FBS Smooth Tape
Ytrucks X3's with Orings Revolution Soft
Flatface G6's

New wide deck combined with regular trucks Empty
PostSubject: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been fingerboarding for quite a while now, it kind of started when I was around 12-13 when I didn't want to do my homework and instead used my books to build parks :)I kind of accidentally got good at it. After I few years, when I was 16 or 17, I bought my first wooden fingerboard, a first generation close up. However, I soon wanted something better and switched to a Flatface complete when I was 18. Around 3 years ago I decided to get a new deck with a little more defined shape and some decent trucks, so I bought a Berlinwood Classic shape and a pair of ytrucks x3. I used the flatface G6's that I got with my flatface complete. The setup of berlinwood classic, ytrucks x3 and g6d's is the one I'm still riding up until today (I'm 23 now, maybe kinda old happy).

Lately however, I've been looking into buying a wider deck. I have the feeling they give me more control over my board. I've been looking at several different types and I am now doubting between the Berlinwood Wide and the Berlinwood Wide Low.

Since there's not really a fingerboarding community or anything around here where I live, I don't really have the opportunity to try different decks, I just fingerboard on my own. That's why I would like to ask you guys some questions:

- How would you describe the difference between 29mm and 32mm decks? Does it really give you more control when doing flips for example? And does it take more effort to flip a wide deck just like a real skateboard?
- Do you guys have experience with the wide and wide low decks from berlinwood? How would the difference in concave influence the performance?
- Would it really be a big problem to use my 29mm ytrucks x3's on a wide deck? Or would you guys REALLY recommend getting wider trucks?

I hope to hear from you guys happy

mb90
Back to top Go down
neztek
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
neztek

Companies : Neztek Fingerboards Australia
Setup : NeztekFB 33.25mm. Deck
Y-Trucks X4 Tex Black
Winklers
Creamy Goo

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:24 pm

I can only speak from personal experience,but I have 29mm trucks on a 32mm deck and I like it maybe more than my 32mm set ups with 32mm trucks.I do think that it doesn't look quite right but is very functional and depending on where my head is at on the day can be my preferred ride.As decks are getting even wider as the norm,33mm and up I think that a set of 32mm trucks is a must,but that is just me.I think that if you already have a set of 29mm trucks and you are considering getting a new set up go with the 32mm trucks and then you can decide for yourself.Hope this helps. happy 
Back to top Go down
http://neztekfb.bigcartel.com
jackson
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
jackson

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:40 pm

yeah dude. 29mm trucks on 32mm decks look dope. i really like how it looks, and it doesn't affect the performance at all. i like 32mm+ decks because i get more control, and i have huge hands. and I've always been into riding bigger boards, since i skate bigger boards.
Back to top Go down
BryanH
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
BryanH

Setup : Neztek Vulcan Custom
Brt's w/ Witchcrafts
G4's
Clean sheets

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 pm

I used to use 29mm trucks on 32mm decks all the time. The only problem I found was that when you landed a trick with your fingers near the edge of the deck, the deck would sometimes flip over because of you placing the weight over the 3mm below the deck that wasnt supported by the truck. But that was the only problem I encountered happy
Back to top Go down
mb90
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Flatface G6's

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 2:20 pm

First, thanks for the quick replies happy I think I'll just stick withy my Ytrucks x3's for now then happy

Furthermore, any thoughts on the difference between the Wide and the Wide-Low shapes from Berlinwood?
Back to top Go down
Eric_Best
Council
Council
Eric_Best

Setup : catfishbbq, brts, ff wheels, fbs

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Honestly, the wide and wide low aren't too different. If you're into more concave and a flowy shape then the wide is going to be perfect, but if you like slightly lower concave with a more defined shape the wide low is the way to go. I personally love both decks and would reccommend either one.
Back to top Go down
Tom B.
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Tom B.

Setup : Weca Tie-Dye
BRT Wides
FF BRT Ed.
Slim & Catchy
Witchcrafts

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Personally, I enjoy the wide a little more because it's more responsive due to the slightly deeper concave. Plus it's more similar to the classic. The wide lows are great too, you'll be satisfied with either one happy
Back to top Go down
SpencerPaige
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SpencerPaige

Setup : Radramps Hawaiian Shirt Fabric Bottom
Y-Trucks x4 United
No Comply White V6
Foamy Greatness
FBS Extra Smooth

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 3:39 pm

I have the wide low. It s nice. I have heard nothing but good things 'bout wide. Both are berlinwoods, so you know you're getting quality. Both are boss and will work.
Back to top Go down
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
WantSomeSlaw

Setup : What's a fingerboard?

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I prefer the Wide. China trucks fit well on it too. But for me, I can not use china trucks on any deck more than 32mm. So I can have 29s on a 32, but I can not ride 29s on a 33.
Back to top Go down
Twest
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Twest

Setup : Main:
-BeastPants
-Brts
-Winklers
-Witchcrafts
-Slim and Catchy

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 6:05 pm

I have both a BW Wide and Wide Low. Both are great, i do prefer the wide just a tad bit more though. Still, both perform awesome.
Back to top Go down
mb90
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Flatface G6's

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyWed Dec 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Ok, thanks guys happy I think I'm gonna go with the Wide then. I think I'll prefer a bit more responsiveness for flips happy
Back to top Go down
Jaymes
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Jaymes

Companies : Arson decks

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyWed Dec 25, 2013 11:12 pm

If you wanted to try good cheap 32mm trucks, pick up a tech deck longboard with the regular skateboard lookin trucks
Back to top Go down
Concept
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Concept

Setup : Weca Pineapple
TDLB
White Oak Mini's
White beta bushings
Creamy Goo

Brutal 'Bomb Shape'
Rasta Ytrucks
White Oaks
Red beta bushings
Creamy Goo

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 8:00 pm

I recently upgraded my 29mm closeup g5 for a 32.5mm Blosom, so a very similar situation. I would never go back to anything skinnier than 32 now, as my new deck genuinely made me a better fingerboarder. I now have full control over the rotation of the board and it's much easier to catch tricks as well. At 29, and with big hands, I've found I need something that wide to get the best out of my fingerboarding. YMMV, however.

I would absolutely recommend Blosom if you fancy a new deck and want to try a wider shape. The dude that runs it is lovely, and went above and beyond on my order, and the decks are luuuuuuush happy
Back to top Go down
mb90
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

Flatface G6's

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Hey guys,

My Berlinwood Wide came in yesterday, and I love it already. It works just perfect with 29mm Ytrucks and it looks great. Having smaller trucks really shows the width of the deck. I even got a free sheet of FBS smooth tape which I decided to use instead of the berlinwood engraved riptape. I also got a free set of FBS Orings revolution hard with it, but I'm really happy with my Orings revolution soft on my Ytrucks. Love my current setup happy

New wide deck combined with regular trucks C360_216
Back to top Go down
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Setup : Berlinwood Xwide:
X4's, China wheels, stock tuning
Brutal Custom:
TDLB's, Duros, witchcrafts
Zink, Ktown, 2 Bawsewoods, 2 woobs, Beastpants, Cowply:
All have wide BRT's, Oaks or FF wheels, & Witchrafts

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Just got a BerlinWood x wide, but the wide trucks I ordered havent come yet. I couldn't wait to ride it so I slapped some 29mm trucks on it.
A.) Doesn't look as stupid as i was anticipating. (Tiny trucks on a 33.3mm board) They really didnt look too bad.

B.) Rides pretty good. Really not a huge issue. Im sure the wide trucks will feel just a step more solid, but the 29's are not a problem, even on an extra wide board.
Back to top Go down
AmandaW
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
AmandaW

Setup : Spectrum
BRT Wides
Grands
Witchcrafts

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 8:42 pm

That Berlinwood looks really nice happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New wide deck combined with regular trucks   New wide deck combined with regular trucks Empty

Back to top Go down

New wide deck combined with regular trucks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1