Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalMini ramp project Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mini ramp project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 8:28 am

So today I came across some bamboo wooden mats that I believe are used to place food on like on a dinner table or something. I honestly don't know what they are for, but I know what I'm going to use them for!

I've been wanting to make a half pipe or mini ramp for a while now, but just never did it because i never found the right type of wood to use. Well after playing with these bamboo mats I've decided to make a mini out of them! happy

Here is a sketch I've made on paper.

The ramp will be 6ft in length and 2 feet in width. One of the sides will have a hip on it and the other will be flat or like a fun box. The ends will be like a quarter pipe or mini ramp and on one end I would like to have part of it higher than the other part for variety.

So far I only bought one mat, but will go to the store and get another one tomorrow. I've already cut away the fabric surrounding the sides and I've given it a light sand.

I plan on making a large rectangle frame for this to sit on and then cut out the shapes of the quarter pipes and hip so that all I have to do is lay this bamboo on top of it and glue it down.

It's totally ride-able even now and the cracks do not interfere withe the fingerboarding, but I would like to get some wood filler and fill in all those cracks and then sand that down to have llike a perfectly smooth finish.

I think I'm pretty serious about this project and spring break is next week. So I'm going to try and make a goal of getting this done before spring break is over.

I also want to get a few of those chinese plants (trees) and put them in possibly grind-able beds to give the whole ramp an Asian theme.  

I also already have the metal coping for the rails on the mini ramps too. Check out the pics.

Mini ramp project P7030027_zpse0bd9224

Mini ramp project P7030021_zps82dcbc25

Mini ramp project P7030022_zps3f7efb05

Mini ramp project P7030025_zps3e4016ab

Last edited by Pureskate on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BryanH
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
BryanH

Setup : Neztek Vulcan Custom
Brt's w/ Witchcrafts
G4's
Clean sheets

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 10:23 am

Sick!! but i could see a problem regarding the bumps on the mat. :/
Back to top Go down
B.Arbour
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
B.Arbour

Companies : Arson Decks
Setup : Arson Deck
Y Trucks X4's
Witch Craft Bushings
FlatFace G6
Ace 3 tape

Arson deck
BRTs 2.0
Winkler Big Daddy Zs
TNP tape

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 12:49 pm

That looks so big! And yeah I agree LazyFingers the bumps could get annoying
Back to top Go down
Toasty
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toasty

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Seems like the "bumps" would feel kinda like tiles, but yeah it'd probably be best to fill them. Also, with the trees, you mean those little bonsai trees? You might be able to get some fake miniature ones at a craft store if you want it to fit in a planter, but if you want a full sized one, that'll cost you anywhere from hundreds to thousands.
Great idea though, and the design is sick. Will be watching this thread for sure! very happy
Back to top Go down
streetsteeze1
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
streetsteeze1

Setup : Weca N.H.B graph
32mm silver brts
Ff black
Rachet rails (cable ties)
La vachina tape

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 pm

i like the idea but I'm not sure bout the surface. keen to see where this project leads
Back to top Go down
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
WantSomeSlaw

Setup : What's a fingerboard?

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 8:53 pm

I think the surface is what makes it awesome! very happy
Back to top Go down
Zach
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
Zach

Setup : Weca
Blackriver trucks
Flatface wheels

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 pm

If it ends up anything like the drawing it will be so sick!
The 'bumps' will be fine to ride on, i made a quarter out of strips of wood a while back wink 
Back to top Go down
George Alexander
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
George Alexander

Companies : GRATATA
Setup : GRATATA

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Zach wrote:
i made a quarter out of strips of wood a while back
And that's hella sick!
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 11:10 pm

My grandma has a bamboo mat that my bro and I use to sleep on when we have too. So fun to ride on but it's not so fun to sleep on. I have shaped it into a spine before and it's hella fun.
Back to top Go down
parrish
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
parrish

Setup : FBS
woob square kicks
BRT wides
green witchcrafts
oaks white+

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Yeah dude that'd bee prime those little bumps will make it way sicker.
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 4:02 am

[update]

Today I just picked up the other half of the bamboo mat.

I've also taken off the yellow fabric that used to surround the edges and gave it a light sand.

Here you can see a preview of what it should look like when completed. The roll over in the middle is actually from an aphlikshun roller over ramp underneath.

There is also a picture of the coping which I'll be using too.

I've also been looking a prices for fake bonsai pants and boy they are extremely expensive.

This is my up and coming spring break project so stay tuned for updates in the future.

Also the gaps in the wood do NOT affect fingerboard performance at all. I honestly thought that they were going to interfere, but its not annoying at all and actually feels pretty epic!

Mini ramp project P7040029_zpsf4621303

Mini ramp project P7040030_zpsf232d7ec

Mini ramp project P7040032_zps547a3885

I bought the bamboo mats for like $5.00 each at a thrift store.

I'm also thinking that maybe a rainbow rail over the roll over in the middle might be the perfect addition.
Back to top Go down
GeraldineMilne
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
GeraldineMilne

Companies : Teak x GrindSir

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Looks great, can't wait to see pics of the finished ramp very happy
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 2:23 am

Update.

Today I wanted to make some good progress on my project so I got to work and started getting things done.

I kind of changed things from the previous version I had in mind. Now the roll over is to be across the whole ramp since I want that rainbow rail over it wink and I decided to make one side have a bank and the other side be a quarter. To give it some variety I made the bank side have two different heights 4 and 6 inches and the quarter side have two heights as well with those being 6 and 8 inches.

Mini ramp project P7090048_zps0eea5d5c

Before I make most ramps I like to get an idea of how high or what shape the ramps will be. Here is a pencil trace out of what the shape I want the quarter ramps to be. I accomplished this by curving the bamboo material until I got the desired shape for the quarters that I wanted and then I set a thin piece of particle board next to the bamboo curve and just traced that shape onto the particle board.

Mini ramp project P7090050_zpse6f83297

This is what the frame of the park/ramp is like. It consists of some beams of 1x2's and a thin sheet of plywood. I haven't actually made the frame yet and that's because I don't know how big the frame needs to be because I haven't set down the bamboo strip yet. Once I set down the strip of bamboo then I'll know just how long my ramp needs to be.

Mini ramp project P7090053_zpsf6128046

Mini ramp project P7090054_zps4ce6fecd

Here is the bamboo strip rolled up. Interesting how it takes up so little space.

Mini ramp project P7090056_zps7ffa5752

Here is my work area. You can see the templates that I've cut out of the thin particle board. I did this with just a simple jigsaw.

Mini ramp project P7090058_zps7df0a1bb

Here I was testing out the curves on the quarter ramps. Surprisingly that all came out very well and I'm happy with them.

Mini ramp project P7090061_zps3d9330aa

Mini ramp project P7090065_zps70cb152c

Mini ramp project P7090070_zpseff4b3a9

I used the templates as guides for tracing out the shapes on the thicker pieces of wood then used a jigsaw to cut them out. They all came out pretty much identical which is a good thing. Also all of the wood used for this was just wood that I picked up for free from some dresser drawers that someone was throwing away.

Mini ramp project P7090071_zps0890ee60

Here you can see the roller over and the wooden pieces which will make up the skeleton of it. I used 6 pieces, which might be a bit of an overkill, but if anything it will just make it more sturdy than before. I doubled up in the middle and put two pieces of wood there because when I put in the rainbow rail I want to make sure the rail actually gets fitted into the wood below.

Mini ramp project P7100076_zps23cd6675

Mini ramp project P7100077_zpsa6dc658d

This is what it looks like with all the pieces on it minus the bamboo.

Mini ramp project P7100080_zpsafb4b4fe

Mini ramp project P7100081_zpsbda24eb7

It was pretty exhausting to do this, but I'm sure it will pay off.

Hopefully I can do more in the next few days.

Peace!

Back to top Go down
GeraldineMilne
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
GeraldineMilne

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 am

Wow, looks amazing!! happy
Back to top Go down
eddie Victory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 am

this is a really interesting an cool project! great to see so many pictures an great detail in this thread nice work!! cant wait to see the finished product!
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 am

What I did today:

Cut the long thin plywood board down to the right size to fit the bamboo width.

Cut out the middle sections of each ramp so that each ramp will have extra support.

Tacked together the small and large bank ramps together.

Took off the cloth backing of the bamboo since I didn't feel as if I needed it.

Interestingly I like to tack together my ramps with hot glue and then later use liquid nails to permanently seal them together. Since I like using particle board nails and screws just don't work too well for me.

Mini ramp project IMG_0006_zps4a808072

Mini ramp project IMG_0008_zpsfa118485

Cost so far:

Thin piece of plywood and long 2X1's $20.00 already had the longer thin piece of plywood.

Bamboo pieces $10.00

Metal coping round $3.00

Back to top Go down
Jack B.
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jack B.

Setup : Berlinwood 33.3 Low
Winkler classics
TKY
BRT 2.0 Super Silver
FBS

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 7:28 pm

looks amazing man might try it later tongue
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:05 am

Here is my update.

Today I glued all of the quarter pipe pieces together and I glued all of the roll over pieces together. All I have to do now is cut the bamboo in the middle and lay it on top and build the frame.

Mini ramp project P7130086_zpsa1bed806

Mini ramp project P7130085_zps24105669

Mini ramp project P7130084_zpsb20499ef
Back to top Go down
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:14 am

YES!!!!!!  cyclops cyclops cyclops cyclops cyclops 
I RECOMEND GOING TO MICHALS AND BUYING 3 PLY BIRCH AIRCRAFT VENEER TO PUT ON THAT MONSTER!!
Back to top Go down
http://brutalfingerboards.bigcartel.com/
parrish
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
parrish

Setup : FBS
woob square kicks
BRT wides
green witchcrafts
oaks white+

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 am

Daaannnnggg.
Back to top Go down
urbanjump
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
urbanjump

Setup : Berlinwood Xwide:
X4's, China wheels, stock tuning
Brutal Custom:
TDLB's, Duros, witchcrafts
Zink, Ktown, 2 Bawsewoods, 2 woobs, Beastpants, Cowply:
All have wide BRT's, Oaks or FF wheels, & Witchrafts

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 am

Effing radddd
Back to top Go down
GeraldineMilne
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
GeraldineMilne

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:56 am

Wow, looks awesome!
Can't wait to try it tongue
Back to top Go down
Mallory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Mallory

Companies : Unique Decks

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 am

looks so good
Back to top Go down
http://uniquedecks.co
Ken .I
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Ken .I

Setup : Blosom 32mm
Brt wides
Substance Zeros
Ace tape
TKY's

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 4:36 am

Sooo nice.
Back to top Go down
Concept
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Concept

Setup : Weca Pineapple
TDLB
White Oak Mini's
White beta bushings
Creamy Goo

Brutal 'Bomb Shape'
Rasta Ytrucks
White Oaks
Red beta bushings
Creamy Goo

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Trent Witcher wrote:
YES!!!!!!  cyclops cyclops cyclops cyclops cyclops 
I RECOMEND GOING TO MICHALS AND BUYING 3 PLY BIRCH AIRCRAFT VENEER TO PUT ON THAT MONSTER!!

^this.

You've done such an awesome job on the frame, it would be a shame not to finish it equally well, and plywood is definitely going to feel and look better than the bamboo. Go ooooon, you know you want to!

The 3ply will be bendy enough that you could use fairly small tacks if you're worried about the particle board crumbling. It can take tacks if you're careful with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mini ramp project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project Empty

Back to top Go down

Mini ramp project

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next