Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalMini ramp project - Page 2 Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mini ramp project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Love it cheers
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 1:40 am

Here is my update. happy

So some of you guys are saying to go with some bendy plywood from Micheal's. Now I've been there, but how thick of wood are you guys talking about? And would I be cutting it into tiny squares like on the black river ramps or what? Maybe I'll try this on my next project since I already planned on using the bamboo.

Now the original bamboo sheets I had are only 3 feet in length each and since my ramp is 6 feet long I soon realized that they wouldn't complete the job. Because I got those bamboo sheets at my local thrift store and they didn't have anymore of them I went to Ross and got a longer bamboo rug to use.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7150100_zps75c12499

Its 4ft by 6ft so I will have to cut it in half because my ramp is only 2 feet wide and even though it won't reach the full 6 feet since I'll have two halves I'll just join them together to make the total length of the ramp. So the lighter bamboo sheets will have to be used for another project.

This is me taking off the cloth backing because I don't need it for the ramp.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7150102_zps7af77e7f

This is the frame of the ramp while I was working on it. All of the ramps will sit on the frame. Normally it wouldn't take that long to make, but I don't have a nail gun and I'm only using a jigsaw so this actually took a while to put together.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7150104_zps17b01bf3

This is the completed frame. The whole park will sit on this when its all put together. I used screws and counter sunk them with a drill bit. I plan on painting everything black except for the wooden bamboo.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7160106_zps1b07eb53

This is the underside of the frame. I placed these 1x2's approximately every foot to ensure that its solid and can take a beating. I like having my ramps and parks to be very strong and durable. The black piece of wood was just a scrap piece that I custom cut to fit in there because I ran out of the other pine wood.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7160107_zps2f71b6ae

Little by little its getting there.

Back to top Go down
Mallory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Mallory

Companies : Unique Decks

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 am

looks super sturdy. good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://uniquedecks.co
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 am

Sunday Update!

Here is my progress so far.

After building the frame I then glued all of the ramp skeleton pieces onto the frame with liquid nails. I use liquid nails simply because i don't want to deal with nails or screws on certain pieces. The frame however is held together with screws.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290023use_zps8351c29a

My method for putting ramps together quickly is to use hot glue to tack them together and then go over the joints with liquid nails later for a permanent bond. If I mess up the ramp using hot glue I just use a heat gun to undo it and then retry it again.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290024use_zps148abf3c

Here I cut the bamboo with a jigsaw at just the right length so that it will lay flat on both bank ramps. I test painted the side of part of the ramp black and I will do that for the rest of the ramp as well.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290029use_zps1e2d212d

I sanded the sides of the park and have filled in any holes and cracks with wood filler. I will have to resand again before I paint.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290030use_zps12a9cd20

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290032use_zps089c4388

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290034use_zps1fc2ad99

Here I've cut the other bamboo sheet to allow it to make the two quarter pipes. If you take a peek inside the ramp I've glued in some scrap pieces of wood for extra support. Since it will be covered up nobody would ever know that they were there. You can also see how my bamboo isn't long enough to complete the ramp this will be addressed in the next pic.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290033use_zpsd7f4331e

So I got this bamboo wood from a thrift store and they had 3 rugs, well I had bought 2 of them thinking it would be enough for the ramp. Later when I realized that it wasn't enough I went back to the shop only to find out that the 3rd rug that they used to have was sold.

So I've had this problem now for a while and it is trying to find some other bamboo that matches the current type that I have. I actually bought some other bamboo rugs from my local ROSS store, but the bamboo is of a thinner type and not the right color. So after not being able to match my bamboo I looked online. My bamboo seemed to look yellowish so I bought a yellow bamboo rug. When I got it in the mail it wasn't in the best shape and the color didn't really match, but it does have the right thickness.

I want this ramp to look super nice so I've decided to try again online and so I bought another rug from ebay that is of a more natural color and not a yellow color. Hopefully when it comes in the mail it will work perfectly.

Here is the yellow type. I don't want to have to use it, but I might have to if I can't find anything better.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290036use_zps3ca92c7f

And I found a plastic banzai tree for under $15. It will be placed on the ramp as decoration when not in use. I was going for an oriental theme with the whole project so hopefully it matches.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P7290039use_zps1b875d55
Back to top Go down
BandBricks
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
BandBricks

Companies : Witchcraft, Berlinwood, Flatface, NZFB
Setup : Flatface G14, BRR Trucks 2.0, Winklr Wheels,
Rip Tape

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 5:39 am

Holy balls shocked
That looks so sick!!

especially with the bonsai tree
Back to top Go down
TaylorT
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
TaylorT

Companies : Designer @ ¿Maybe? Skateboards, Live Video Director @ Westgate Chapel, Friend of Ollie @ Compiny Fingerboards
Setup : Until further notice:
Homewood New Mold (Red smokestack graphic)
Ytrucks X4 Tex Black
Flatface G6e's (or Oaks)
New Foamy Greatness

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 am

I really love these build threads that are popping up lately. Great work!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/FingerSeshNW
Concept
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Concept

Setup : Weca Pineapple
TDLB
White Oak Mini's
White beta bushings
Creamy Goo

Brutal 'Bomb Shape'
Rasta Ytrucks
White Oaks
Red beta bushings
Creamy Goo

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 6:19 pm

Epicness! I can't wait to see this finished. It's looking really, really nice happy
Back to top Go down
Bobbernaut
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Bobbernaut

Setup : Homemade Mellow Wide Split
China Wides (Red/White)
No Comply's (Black)
CNC Bearing Wheels (Red)
China Foamtape (Black, duh)

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 6:39 pm

Looks really awesome dude!
Back to top Go down
GeraldineMilne
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
GeraldineMilne

Companies : Teak x GrindSir

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Looking good Eric! happy
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 am

Sunday Update!

Today I sanded all of the sides of the park. I did this because last time I used wood putty and filled in holes or cracks and so by sanding it I was able to smooth everything out.

The next thing that I did was just to reinforce everything with extra wood.

In this first pic it looks kind of like a weird collage since there are just tons of randomly placed pieces of wood everywhere. And I admit that it doesn't look like the work of a craftsman...  but, the extra beams are simply just there for extra support and will not be visible.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P8060003use_zpsc6f4ffc5

I need to contact Airflo Dave and order a custom rainbow rail to fit nicely over this hump!

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P8060010use_zps3d65b88f

Mini ramp project - Page 2 P8060013use_zps51c17a5f

And I think I know how I'm going to solve the bamboo shortage problem. The last bamboo mat I ordered doesn't exactly match the color, but it rides almost identical to that of the current type that I'm using. For that reason alone I will be using it. So a small section will have a bamboo part that is just slightly a different color than the other parts. Oh well. Its very hard to match a certain color wood with another.

So the next step is to get started on the babmboo and get the rail.
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 2:16 am

[update]

Just to let everyone know that this project has not been abandoned.

I've been reluctant to continue work on it though until I had the rail for it.

So I messaged Dave at airflo and he cooked up this awesome rail.

Check it out!

http://instagram.com/p/otogg_lSih/#

Mini ramp project - Page 2 Airflo_zps7711ae2b

Once I get the rail the rest of the park will be a snap to finish.

So expect to see this completed soon and expect to ride this at the Texas Rendezvous event July 19th 2014! Also shout out to Airflo for being a sponsor of the event!!!
Back to top Go down
Broxxxa
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Broxxxa

Setup : berlinwood -albatros blue-
brt
Winkler/nollie

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Looks damn Great !
Do you have something to fill in the gutter in the bamboo mat ? To make it more smooth ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jungermannsfotografie.de
Bobbernaut
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Bobbernaut

Setup : Homemade Mellow Wide Split
China Wides (Red/White)
No Comply's (Black)
CNC Bearing Wheels (Red)
China Foamtape (Black, duh)

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 3:31 pm

What you should do, is putting 1 or 2 sheets of veneer on top of the bamboo mat wink happy
Back to top Go down
AnthonyFB
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
AnthonyFB

Setup : Berlinwood Wide low
BRT Wide super silvers
Flatface x winkler collabs
Ace 3

Beast Pants Split
BRT Wide super silvers
Flatface x collabs
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 1:39 am

dude thats gonna look soooo freaking nice
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 2:53 am

[update]

Today I decided to get to work on that park of mine since I now have the rail from Airflo Dave.

I glued the two big sheets of bamboo on it and drilled the holes for the rail. Then I cut two custom fitted pieces of bamboo from another sheet to fill in the missing parts on the quarter pipes.

I also cut the quarter pipe coping. All I really have to do is finish it up. happy

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA130029_zps582ec9e5

Back to top Go down
snotjob
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
snotjob

Companies : Deadcat Co.
Setup : woob
brts
wheels
witchcrafts
deadcats

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 4:05 am

looks nice but it seems bumpy.
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 3:10 am

Okay here it is guys.

I just glued in the rail TODAY and now I'm calling it pretty much done.

I filled in the cracks with sheet rock putty and then stained it and coated it with polyurethane.

There are a few places that I though were it could have looked a little better, but it really doesn't matter now because I'm done with this. Whew

There is this one spot however that I think I'm going to sand down and fix, but that's about it.

It's super fun though and the rainbow rail that David made is perfect!

The park will be available at the Texas Revdezvous if anyone wants to ride it. happy

The dimensions are 6 ft by 2 ft.

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270014-use_zps7d0208e3

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270015-use_zps159b3057

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270016-use_zps9b110f4c

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270018-use_zpsf64f9b8c

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270019-use_zps8da94bed

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270020-use_zps95fcfffc

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270021-use_zps75f78e3c

Mini ramp project - Page 2 PA270022-use_zps03245543

Last edited by Pureskate on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AirfloDave
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
AirfloDave

Companies : Airflo Rails
Setup : BW 30 MM (not 29)
Red BRT's
Blue FF BRR ed.
FBS

FF g14 30mm Airflo Engraved
Yellow BRT's
FF white BRR ed.
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 am

Damn that's actually quite nice! I wasn't sure how it was going to come out as seen in some of your previous pictures, mainly because of the bamboo mat, but was I ever wrong! Looks amazing and I love the way everything came out for it! Glad I could build the rail for it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.airflorails.com
Ollie
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 3:36 am

OOOHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my GOD that is siccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Back to top Go down
AirfloDave
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
AirfloDave

Companies : Airflo Rails
Setup : BW 30 MM (not 29)
Red BRT's
Blue FF BRR ed.
FBS

FF g14 30mm Airflo Engraved
Yellow BRT's
FF white BRR ed.
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 3:40 am

If you're planning on keeping that outside for an extended period of time, I'd recommend putting some 3 in 1 household oil or some synthetic motor oil on a rag and wiping the top of the rail down with it. Let that "soak" for a minute or 2, then wipe it off with a paper towel/ clean rag and maybe polish it with some steel wool. This will help keep the rail shining and avoid any potential rust. If it's staying inside mainly, just rub a little steel wool on it if you notice any sort of small surface corrosion. You should be okay though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.airflorails.com
j peterson
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
j peterson

Setup : @indextheory

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 4:14 am

ooooooh dang that looks super fun dude! great work
Back to top Go down
K-A12
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
K-A12

Companies : 1-UP Fingerboards
Setup : 1-UP 33.5mm
Brts wide silver
Flatface clear blem z wheels with one brr edition gold
Wc bushings teal

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 am

Holy cow that thing looks so nice
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 10:17 am

Love it!!  cheers
Back to top Go down
eddie Victory
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 11:06 am

yeah that turned out way better than i was expecting! nice work dude!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Jaymes
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Jaymes

Companies : Arson decks

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Yeah wow surprised me too, make a video
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mini ramp project   Mini ramp project - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mini ramp project

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next