Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalHow to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE Empty
PostSubject: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 am

I've been making fingerboard ramps for a while now (many years) and I would like to share with you how you can make pretty much any fingerboard ramp (minus the rails) for almost free.

When I first started making ramps I just used the random pieces of wood that I had in my garage from other projects. Later I started going to Lowes or Home Depot and buying long pieces of particle board and cutting it up an order to make ramps.  

Now I don't go and buy lots of wood from Home Depot like before, but instead just recycle wood from people who are throwing it away.

There are certain pieces of wood that I do buy however from the store like nice looking plywood for the tops of my ramps, but I probably won't ever buy particle board ever again and that's because by recycling perfectly good wood that people are throwing away you can pretty much have an unlimited supply of particle board at virtually no cost to you.

Here is a section in my garage where I've stock piled my findings. All of the wood you see here was FREE.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8110007_zpsadcdbdf5

See this huge stack........... FREE!

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8110008_zps58ef05e3

You could make ramps so cheap you'd swear their from China!  wink 

So how do you get this free wood again? All I do is keep a look out for people throwing away book shelves, dressers, desks, entertainment centers and anything really that you can recycle.

The best times to look is the night before a big trash day and especially those HEAVY trash days where people throw away all kinds of big stuff.

How can wood be good to use when it's in the trash? People throw out all kinds of things. Sometimes people throw out perfectly good quality wood that you can reuse.

Here is a dresser drawer that someone was throwing away and its perfectly good wood to use and to make things out of. I used a rubber mallet to break it apart from the inside out and then I harvested the goods!

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8110010_zpse9e884b5

Here is some more stuff that I picked up on my last treasure hunt. You can see that some of the black pieces of wood have chips in them. It was probably once a drawer of some type and even though they have some chips in them all you have to do is not use that part. The rest of it is just fine.

I also picked up four dresser drawers too. The best part about getting dresser drawers is that the bottom part of it is made out of a thin particle board material, which is PERFECT for making the curves on quarter pipes!

So yeah, you could recycle someones curb side dresser drawer and turn it into a quarter pipe for very little cost.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8110009_zpsebc8cde3

All long as you have and know how to use wood tools you could take all of this free wood and turn it into awesome ramps.

There are some costs though. Power tools cost money and there are other small costs like sandpaper, saw blades, wood glue and other things, but if you have the time and have some creativity you could make ramps on the cheap by just recycling thrown out wood. And technically the wood that I picked up wasn't 100% free since I had to use my gas to drive around and look for it and get it, but its about as free as it gets.

Now, when I build ramps I don't always build them completely out of this particle board. I sometimes buy nice looking plywood and use it for the tops of my ramps because that's the part that you skate on, however the sides of the ramps don't have to be used with expensive plywood. By using free particle board for the sides of your ramps you can do more with the wood that you actually paid for and if you don't like the appearance of using recycled particle board you can always just paint that part black.

Here is another pic of a pile of free wood that I got.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8120011_zpsf843f0d3

Here is a door that I picked up for free and I plan on making it my base frame for my next fingerboard park. That means that I could make almost the whole park for free.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8120014_zps855bae1c

Not only could you build ramps for cheap, but also you are going GREEN and being eco-friendly by recycling too. happy

Now, if you will excuse me I have to get started on my dresser quarter pipe pronto!!!
Back to top Go down
Yisus Pablo
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Yisus Pablo

Companies : Lambda fingerboards

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 9:31 am

I think thats an awesome idea, but not everyone has a workshop and a looot of wood to make ramps :c
Back to top Go down
parrish
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
parrish

Setup : FBS
woob square kicks
BRT wides
green witchcrafts
oaks white+

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 2:19 pm

This is rad dude, recycling is awesome.  And you might get some handle rails on the dressers and shit too.
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm

And here is my 100% recycled quarter pipe that I said I was going to make from a dresser drawer.

Here is the frame.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8190048_zps21b8a44f

Here is the thinner piece that makes the top of the ramp. This is actually the thin piece of cardboard like wood that comes from the bottom of the dresser drawer.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8190049_zps4475af75

Here is the thin piece again. Those marks on the back of it are from me cutting it with a razor blade. This relaxes the wood so that you can actually bend it and it lowers the tension in the wood when its attached onto the ramp.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8200050_zps30a0db3f

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8200051_zpsbd87f018

And finally I filled in some cracks with some wood putty and put a clear coat on it and painted the sides black.

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE P8260004_zps597a2192

Now, here is the thing. So I made with quarter pipe without buying any of the wood and just recycled wood, but there are costs involved such as: wood glue, tools, paint, clear coat, sandpaper and probably the biggest cost is time.

It takes me forever to make these by the way.
Back to top Go down
huggiemanbearpig
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
huggiemanbearpig

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptyWed May 07, 2014 11:50 am

I found staks and stacks of marble one time before a trash day. people throw shit like this out in my neighbourhood all the time.
Back to top Go down
Yisus Pablo
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Yisus Pablo

Companies : Lambda fingerboards

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptyThu May 08, 2014 7:03 am

huggiemanbearpig wrote:
I found staks and stacks of marble one time before a trash day. people throw shit like this out in my neighbourhood all the time.
thats luck dude
Back to top Go down
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptyThu May 08, 2014 10:58 am

Remember to wear mask and gloves and glasses when sanding... particle board is the nastiest shit in the world.. formaldehyde soaked shit with god knows what kind of glues and fillers.. I recommend sealing up all the particle board with paint after the ramp is built to keep moisture OUT and china particle shit IN.

Yeah also people just throw shit away.. Shit I got a perfectly good Avenger skateboard from the 80's out of the trash.... All kinds of stuff people just waste.
Back to top Go down
http://brutalfingerboards.bigcartel.com/
jesse4583
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
jesse4583

Setup : birdslayer deck
dump trucks
flatface g4 wheels

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptyMon May 19, 2014 11:15 pm

i just got a huge stack of wood, granite, marble tiles from someone thats renovating a house!
Back to top Go down
JakeC
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
JakeC

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptyTue May 20, 2014 12:34 am

I find old blocks of wood all the time, theyre perfect for a curb and i love em
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE EmptyTue May 20, 2014 5:17 am

jesse4583 wrote:
i just got a huge stack of wood, granite, marble tiles from someone thats renovating a house!

AWESOME!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE   How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE Empty

Back to top Go down

How to make fingerboard ramps for almost FREE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1