Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalThursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread Empty
PostSubject: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Discussion for this week's thursday thoughts on unite. Have fun happy

http://www.unitefingerboarding.com/2012/04/thursday-thoughts-7.html
Back to top Go down
weakfingers
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
weakfingers

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Really interesting. You know, I never really thought about it because I've only ever used Flatface bearing wheels. Some larger wheels and really really small wheels would be interesting.

I think fingerboards being lower to the ground might have an interesting effect on performance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weakfingers
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 5:27 pm

I generally disagree. I think there is a large variation on wheel dimensions in the fingerboard wheel market.
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

Companies : BLOSOM

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 5:29 pm

i think its all down to costs really....

would maybe be nice to have different sized wheels in the same brand/type, but i dont think its going to happen anytime soon really...

i think a few people laughed when they first saw Simon's Cartwheels, (as they were so small) but the performance of the things was great (due to their size)...if only he was around to perfect them.....

i agree with the whole urethane thing also. would you ride a real skateboard with plastic wheels? can you even imagine that? you would be sliding allover the place.

also as Xi says, believe it or not, their IS quite a bit of difference between wheels. due to their size you dont notice it though.....if you had a micro meter you would see the differences wink and if your going by 0.00 their is ALOT of variations between the wheels......but im fussy bugger. i could tell you how long my eye lashes are as Ive measured them awkward
Back to top Go down
Trevor Westad
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Trevor Westad

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 pm

blosom wrote:
i could tell you how long my eye lashes are as Ive measured them awkward
thats not normal dude.. hahahaha
Back to top Go down
http://www.forgivenfingerboards.com/
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm not doubting the difference between wheel companies, I'm wondering if single companies will start working on more than one size, because a lot of wheel companies seem to have one size only. I can see why though, I'm just wondering what you guys thought on that.

For example, I'd love some slightly smaller winklers. I think small wheels are really fun to ride, FF brr ed wheels are a bit smaller than winklers and I really enjoy their size, just not the material.

Plastic skateboard wheels.. go buy a cheapy like £5 board from a sports shop.. they do exist, and yes, they're horrible XD

Thanks for joining in the discussion everyone very happy
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 6:25 pm

T-Dub97 wrote:
blosom wrote:
i could tell you how long my eye lashes are as Ive measured them awkward
thats not normal dude.. hahahaha

have you seen my eye lashes?

all the winklers now have grown in size. ive still got a set of one of the first ed brr eds, that were really tiny compared to the new ones.....also one of the first eds of the big daddies. those are the size of the new brr eds........i guess Germany says bigger is better?

haha yeah i remember the budget boards :lol: ones with 'rambo' painted on the bottom and matching florescent yellow trucks and wheels. legendary. cant ollie them for sheet.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Kerry.. You need to check out Granfingers..

http://grand-fingers.pl/articles/2
Back to top Go down
brian84corvette
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
brian84corvette

Companies : skate park design / building - ramp48
Setup : noComply m2 wide - beautyful red bottom / top plys
flatface g12
ultra decks x2
mad lab decks x3
close up g4 ( awesome trucks - terrible deck )
broken knuckle peoples choice - best 16$ ever spent
as it got me in to the hobby again happy

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 6:49 am

1985 = powell bones 65mm
1991 = powell baby balls 42mm
my skate shop currently carrys 49 to 58mm wheels
and all sizes inbetween - each had its purpose - i personaly miss the 90s tech era that ushered in the standardized shape skate decks we have now and the ultra mini wheels that helped us all learn and invent tech tricks.

ive been in the skate scene for 22 years now and have seen fads come and go - like the tiny wheels - but i do remember them fondly - not for how awfull slow they were - or how much you hung up with them on rough surfaces - but the joy of learning late shoveits and that ground breaking feeling like we were on the cutting edege of changing how skateboarding was to become in the future.. i am so proud to have been there during that time period

how this relates to fingerboarding -

to me just shows us how much our sport is defined by the companies that produce the products we use... like kerri said - want tiny winklers - sorry cant have it. it does not exist. its not like we can go to our favorite skate shop with such a vast selection of product for us to choose from to custom tailor our fingerboarding wants and needs to fit our styles.

as i see it - we have 4 choices of trucks to use. brt / y / woodf / tech deck

imagine the skateboarding world if there were only 4 manufactures of trucks - it would be insane to think of that. there are probably over 30 diffrent BIG name truck manufactures - let alone wheels tape bearings and bushings

not that fingerboarding is as big as skateboarding - but - there are literly hundreds of thousands of kids out there with tech decks. and i bet over 50% of them dont even know better products exist. ... i diddnt
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:35 am

Grand are pretty impossible to order if you don't speak polish from what I can gather from their website, but my point was mainly wondering if the smaller companies will start to offer things in different sizes, and if the companies that do will go for even more sizes. happy

And brian I agree entirely! I miss those wheels too, they were epic. They were dying out as I started skateboarding as a kid, but I remember them well.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 am

I know Grand are hard to get, i just wanted to show you that there is at least one company doing this.
That said, the Polish scene have always been a bit different.

I myself have never thought about the size of my FB wheels. And i have owned the same set of skateboard wheels in close to 10 years.
Someone should do a table like Xi's truck table, but with wheels.

Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 4:28 pm

yea, and it was a valid point to make, so thanks happy I wish some of the stuff over there was more internationally available! Wouldn't mind getting some grand wheels on fingersized if they have brr ed wheels : o

a wheel table would be cool to see!
Back to top Go down
blosom
blosom

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 4:43 pm

brian84corvette wrote:

- like the tiny wheels -

i remember i had a Pacer Neil Danz setup as one of my first setups. (kids probably dont remember this sort of gear). it had Pacer Acid Drop wheels on it. at the time they were quite big, but i rode those wheels until they were like 2 pence pieces. this was around the time when small wheels were 'cool' i just had them as i couldn't afford new wheels :lol:

has nothing to do with fingerboarding though.
Back to top Go down
thomashines
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
thomashines

Setup : BRTS, flaked, and BRR edition G6's.

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Xi wrote:
I generally disagree. I think there is a large variation on wheel dimensions in the fingerboard wheel market.
I have to agree with XI on this one.
Also, I really don't think we will move to urethane, unless it becomes super smooth.
I mean, we really don't have to worry about our wheels cracking like skateboard plastic wheels.
and if skateboards could ride as smooth as we do, I'm sure they would.
I personally think we should follow skateboarding only when it helps fingerboard performance.
( like berlinwood's shape is following skateboarding, and it performs amazingly.)
Back to top Go down
Tombom99
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Tombom99

Setup : Flat Face g12 Y trucks green x3 link oaks

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 6:29 pm

my close up are 7mm and my winkers brs are 6mm
Back to top Go down
James.P
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
James.P

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:06 pm

I like to see urethane on a wheel, as small as cartwheels....

I'd be up for them!
Back to top Go down
Melvin A Thomas
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Melvin A Thomas

Companies : fingerboarding, robotic studies
Setup : Pure,tec deck independant trucks 32mm, susbatance Classic Reloaded.

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Is it cart wheels company closed down.
Back to top Go down
CrazzzzyBoarder
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
CrazzzzyBoarder

Location : well at the moment im sat on my laptop if that answers the q?
Companies : Oblivion Skate Team

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 8:06 pm

brian84corvette wrote:
there are literly hundreds of thousands of kids out there with tech decks. and i bet over 50% of them dont even know better products exist. ... i diddnt

agreed. And even now, i put any money i have into BMX, rather than fb :'( As a result i have one set of bearing wheels (plastic) and i can't really add to this debate. But with something like this i'm sure everyone will feel better suited to larger/smaller. The problem is, there probably aren't enough people in that mindset to sustain the selling of different sized wheels. One size would end up being popular and BAM, back to one size again.

To change the topic slightly, on the thought of there being only 4 truck companies (and techdecks CANNOT count because their kingpins stick intp the board so you can't screw the bastards in), why is this? If some company came out with a new mold (oh come on, how hard is that) i'm sure it would rocket to popularity. It's not like the trucks on the market are perfect, by any means. cherry
Back to top Go down
brian84corvette
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
brian84corvette

Companies : skate park design / building - ramp48
Setup : noComply m2 wide - beautyful red bottom / top plys
flatface g12
ultra decks x2
mad lab decks x3
close up g4 ( awesome trucks - terrible deck )
broken knuckle peoples choice - best 16$ ever spent
as it got me in to the hobby again happy

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 8:09 pm

CrazzzzyBoarder wrote:

To change the topic slightly, on the thought of there being only 4 truck companies (and techdecks CANNOT count because their kingpins stick intp the board so you can't screw the bastards in), why is this? If some company came out with a new mold (oh come on, how hard is that) i'm sure it would rocket to popularity. It's not like the trucks on the market are perfect, by any means. cherry

actually new tech deck trucks do not have kingpins sticking thru anymore.
they have improved slightly.
Back to top Go down
James.P
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
James.P

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:19 pm

crazy border.

You try dealing with molten metals. and being able to mold them.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Ryan

Companies : Temple Decks

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Don't forget the money to buy the mold,get the CAD drawing,buying the actual metal to melt,have the metal melted,get the nuts,axles,hardware etc. but yeah other then that it's easy :roll:
Back to top Go down
sweetbabies
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
sweetbabies

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Back to top Go down
CrazzzzyBoarder
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
CrazzzzyBoarder

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 3:36 pm

yes, the cost of all that will be passed down to the buyer, but if the popularity is right it could work, commercially. I'm not saying any dude could do it in their garage, but there is enough demand in the fb world (maybe... i dunno) for a company to come in (or an existing one) and invest in a new truck mold?
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 6:12 pm

^I've heard there are no comply trucks coming one day, and I'm pretty eager to see what closeup gen 5 trucks are like.. so, yea, there's definitely stuff being done - it all takes time happy
Back to top Go down
CrazzzzyBoarder
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
CrazzzzyBoarder

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm

agreed, and having re-read what i wrote it pretty much sounds like i want fb to become full of big companies and franchises. I don't... so in a way i should stop moaning about the lack of trucks. But yeah kerry, any new product is a good one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread   Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Thursday Thoughts #7 discussion thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1