Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalThursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Go read:
http://www.unitefingerboarding.com/2012/05/thursday-thoughts-8.html

Then discuss, if you want. I'll chime in as much I can happy
Back to top Go down
brian84corvette
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
brian84corvette

Companies : skate park design / building - ramp48
Setup : noComply m2 wide - beautyful red bottom / top plys
flatface g12
ultra decks x2
mad lab decks x3
close up g4 ( awesome trucks - terrible deck )
broken knuckle peoples choice - best 16$ ever spent
as it got me in to the hobby again happy

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsbf9Ud3UFs

i had been working at ramp48 skatepark in its old location when this came out... and it changed my life forever

edit - lol i just re watched it again - the guy who was making the fsb fingerboards in france .. does anyone have any info on those ? they looked realley good for that time period

Last edited by brian84corvette on Thu May 03, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melvin A Thomas
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Melvin A Thomas

Companies : fingerboarding, robotic studies
Setup : Pure,tec deck independant trucks 32mm, susbatance Classic Reloaded.

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 6:00 pm

which song is that mikeschnieder use on that video.
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:11 pm

yea for sure brian, that's such a classic. cant say I know anything about fsb either, that's something you need to ask a real fingerboard historian, haha happy fantastic video though.
Back to top Go down
James Colleran
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi. Never really go on here but yeah. I think those videos are all super awesome. They are all much better than most of the videos of that caliber out today. In my opinion, the best fingerboard video out currently is Grand Illusion 3. I watch it everyday. It rapes the first one, and all of those other videos. Sadly, there aren't any videos like that coming out right now. I can only think of a few super high quality edited videos recently, and they are Mike Schneider's "Shrinp," pretty much all of thedirtyharry's videos, Taylor's videos, and videos on the BRR channel. I dont like the popular style of videos people do nowadays with "chill" music and tricks, I like hard tricks and good editing. I dont think doing a bunch of pop shovits and stuff with low aperture on a light tan desk is very cool haha happy
Back to top Go down
James.P
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
James.P

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Those videos will always have their place. Nothing can change that - At all.

That was that era of videos - the era before fingerboarding really took off, something which I didn't experience -
But, the newer videos to me a way to complicated and over edited e.g. Tobox
Im not fussed. I haven't watched a fingerboard video in 3-4 weeks. But, watching the old ones are something that will remain.
Back to top Go down
callumfb95
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
callumfb95

Setup : Blossom 32.5
Trucks
Oaks

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm

James.P wrote:
Tobox

Lol
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

^^the 2 posts above the last , that was when videos were actually unique and good. There all the same now, crazy lighting setups for a quick mini, hd cameras, too much editing and shit music. There's only a handful of fingerboarders that make good/different mini's that I will actually watch the full video. In the videos that you posted there slot more relaxed like the styles are right and stuff, haah
Back to top Go down
thomashines
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
thomashines

Setup : BRTS, flaked, and BRR edition G6's.

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Grand illusion came out right around when I started, still my faviorite video.
( I think I started in December2009?)
New videos are way too short! All this 3 trick junk.
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:13 pm

interesting to see how many of you are against current videos! anyone further elaborate as to why they prefer old videos? happy
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Yeah, I rarely watch videos anymore because they're all the same. Such a generic style, its boring to watch.
Grand illusion, and 'bag of hammers' are probably the best two videos out there imo.
The only videos I tend to watch now are Kerrys, because he does fun things in them, and Harry Yeates sometimes, cause they're fun to watch. Aha.
Back to top Go down
grantinator
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
grantinator

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:47 pm

For me I was nevver really super impressed by Mikes video even when i first watched it but I remember both the other videos and I loved them so much especially Grand Illusion. I have a feeling the reason I didn't like Mikes video so much was due to the editing and the song both bored me
Back to top Go down
James Colleran
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:53 pm

I don't like the newer videos that are on a tan desk with pop shuvits and slow music. I do LOVE videos like David Fiene's and that sort of thing. I think outdoor videos nowadays are better than ever though. But I don't like the fact that not many people make really long parts with great editing and music.
Back to top Go down
brian84corvette
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
brian84corvette

Companies : skate park design / building - ramp48
Setup : noComply m2 wide - beautyful red bottom / top plys
flatface g12
ultra decks x2
mad lab decks x3
close up g4 ( awesome trucks - terrible deck )
broken knuckle peoples choice - best 16$ ever spent
as it got me in to the hobby again happy

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 2:34 am

please tell me your thoughts on this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0JbqXM_HFM

i enjoyed it for what it is
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:49 am

^how does that have more hits than the original? its opus 14 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8Ad97NxUY&feature=plcp

^I really agree with the outdoor comment James made, outdoor videos have gotten soo much better. BNDG/Broser stuff.. amazing.
Back to top Go down
PureSirGold
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
PureSirGold

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Danny Friedrich guys Danny Friedrich...

Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Joaquin mendez has changed his style he dose not make good videos that I like any more :/
Back to top Go down
mrjacobburke
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Companies : Manchester,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Anyone remember Javelyn Milton? (proabably got his name really wrong)

His videos were amazing.
Back to top Go down
Chris Daniels
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:57 pm

I don't see how improved filming skills hurt videos. The only issue I would have is a lot of people have the same filming style along with very similar styles of fingerboarding. Skill level is way higher in terms of trick technicality. It's just like skateboarding now!
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Fuckkk, how could I forget Danny F? Skateboarding in 1:8 is by far the best video I've ever watched, and that's not just within fingerboarding.
Back to top Go down
Finn S
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Finn S

Setup : Blosom 30.5
Winks
Brts
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:36 pm

People tend to over edit to hide the fact that without it their video is absolute shit.
Back to top Go down
Grendel
Council
Council
Grendel

Setup : BW widelow or 96 custom+ BRT wides + WW or Oaks + witchcraft bushings + ATAMATape

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:54 pm

I thought about this all day, really hard one !

"Back in the days" video's are good to watch, but we only remember the best ones. At that time the community was a lot smaller, and only the really good videos with good trick where remember.
Nowadays, i think, there too many video's, from too many people too follow every thing. Most of them barely have any editing, nore any "spirit" in them, the video have only one purpose : show the trick to get a sponsor.

Hopefully there still people with the same "spirit" as the pionners of fingerboard, and put real efforts in there videos, try somethings new sometime...

To conclude, I enjoy most a video, when the people put time in it , choose angles carefully, do a good editing WITH the music, and not with a music to cover the crappy FB sound. I don't really care of the quality (there're some limits too), you don't need 1000€ DSLR camera to do a great video, you only need to know your camera, and how to use it.
Back to top Go down
http://fbfr.fr
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:06 pm

this has to be my favorite video, it was probably one of the first videos/minis I watched and I remember when it was uploaded I was just like what the fuck the whole way through, and i still am like what the fuck the whole way through. I like it because the tricks are original, it's not over edited and it's just a really good mini.
Back to top Go down
Billy Mackean
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Billy Mackean

Setup : Blosom graphic 32.5
BRT wides
G5 BRR EDs
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:13 pm

mrjacobburke wrote:
Javelyn Jaylyn Milton

his vids are epic..
Back to top Go down
grantinator
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
grantinator

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Idk bout yall but I think Sean Whitmans videos are and always will be super awesome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread   Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Thursday Thoughts #8 Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next