Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalCustom Frost G3 Mellow Review Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ayden B
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Ayden B

Setup : Emanant
tdlb trucks
flatface g6e

Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review Empty
PostSubject: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 12:36 am

I waited a bit to make this review because I wanted to sesh this deck a bit to get a good feel for it and also I didn't feel like doing reviews (reminds me of lab reports in review form lol). Lazily copied Xi's review format because I am an unoriginal dumb. Sorry Xi. Also, I would like to apologize for bad sentence structure (lazy per the norm) and for the terribad pictures. They do absolutely no justice for my Frost. Anyways, onto the review.

I ordered a custom Frost G3 deck from Chad Spradling, owner of Frost Fingerboards. I always wanted to try a Frost for a few years now, but I never got around to until now.

Packaging
The deck came in a bubble mailer in a plastic baggie wrapped with extra bubble wrap. It came with a sheet of Mob Griptape and a card with pics of the deck and a list of the ply combination (from bottom to top). 10/10

Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review Frost512

Deck Specs

Deck Length: 100 or 101mm (Approximately)
Deck Width: 32mm
Nose and Tail: Both symmetrical
Concave: Medium (If you ride mellow concave decks like I did for awhile, the concave feels deep, but 1mm tape will mellow it out.)
Ply Construction: 5-ply, all maple I think (dyed and natural), top to bottom - Icy blue, natural, purple, natural, and purple
Kicks: Medium-mellow
Asymmetry: I don't really see it.
Kingpin holes: Yes
Wheelbase: 54.5 mm...ish

Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review Frost410
Weird angle shot and Dirty tape hmm  Should've cleaned it.

Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review Frost310
Concavity

Transaction Details
Price: $20 USD shipped for a custom (I think it's an extra $2 for splits.)
Shipping cost: - (May be different for international buyers.)
Time to arrive: 2 weeks
Purchased on July 10th, took a few days for Chad to reply (-0.5) with a form for me to fill out the custom plies (It's now implemented in his website so this would not be a problem anymore). He shipped it on July 24th. So the custom took a week. Shipping took 6 days (July 30th) from Florida to New York. Not bad at all. 9.5/10

First Impressions
Loved the smell of fresh cured lacquer when I opened up the package. I was like "Holy, this deck is huge." I only rode 30 and 31mm decks for the past 2 years. Now that I have been using my Frost as my main, my previous mains look quite small to me now. I guess that happens to all fingerboarders who switch sizes.

Craftsmanship
Top, middle, and bottom plies are very vibrant. Lacquer is not too thick and not too thin. Some of the wood grain was still visible which is what I like. Very solid pop. I was a little worried of the concave because it felt deep but that soon changed when I put some foam tape on it which mellowed it out a bit but was still noticeable. "Frost" was stamped on top of the deck.  The rails of the deck were completely straight and the rounding on the kicks were even. The kicks are round instead of pointy, and are symmetrical. The holes were nicely drilled and aligned. The countersinks still had some tiny pieces of wood left in the holes, but they were easily cleaned away. Setting up my board was no problem at all. Overall, I was very impressed in the hard work Chad puts in for each deck. 10/10

Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review Frost110
Scuffs and cloudiness from use. It looks red, but the Sun and my crapcam is playing mind games. It has a tinge of purple to it.

Performance
I set the deck up with stock Tech Deck 32mm trucks, 1mm China tape, and some G6e's. The deck reminded me of a Berlinwood NM (The only newest Berlinwood I've ever tried) only wider and with slightly lower kicks. Is that just what a regular Berlinwood Wide or Wide Low is? Idk. But I digress. Since my preference is medium-mellow kicks and mellow concave, it took me a day or two to get used to a deeper concaved deck. The pop from doing ollies is very snappy. The 32mm width and the concave allowed me to have more control of how fast or slow I want the deck to flip or spin, and the concave made it easier for me to flip out of a grind or slide. It also made switch heels a lot easier to do. But the only thing that felt was a lot different than my preferred decks was when I tried to do switch and nollie tres because the concave would usually snag or quickly flip on my middle finger. Thus, I would end up over- or under-rotating the deck (Nollie/Switch varial flips for example). I would have to change my finger positioning to find the sweet spot. I started to loosened my trucks and that helped improve my tres greatly. That was my only gripe about this deck which only came down to preference. But still the performance on this bad boy is ace. Man, if Chad had a mold with the same kicks and mellower concave, I would gladly pay for the same custom all over again.  9.25/10

Overall
Fantastic custom deck and for the cheap price of $20. If this is the type of deck you prefer, you will not be disappointed in the least. Hell, even if your preference is different but you still want to try something new, I suggest you get your hands on one. It will take little time getting used to, but you will love it.
9.6/10

Where to Order:

You could send a message to Chad on FBHQ:

FBHQ: Chad Spradling

Buy From Flatface (although his store is cheaper): http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/frost/

Buy directly from his shop:
http://www.frostfbs.com/FrostFingerboards/Home.html

Also check out his company and Instagram for updates:

Frost updates: Frost Fingerboards Company Updates
Instagram: @frostfingerboards

Sorry for the gigantic pics.

Thanks for Reading. afro
Back to top Go down
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
WantSomeSlaw

Setup : What's a fingerboard?

PostSubject: Re: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 5:15 am

I liked this review. An organized spin on an old method. Great review dude!
Back to top Go down
AmandaW
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
AmandaW

Setup : Spectrum
BRT Wides
Grands
Witchcrafts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:46 am

Nice review! Every part was really descriptive, great job happy
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Nice review. Have you thought about using the mob girp it came with?
Back to top Go down
Ayden B
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Ayden B

Setup : Emanant
tdlb trucks
flatface g6e

PostSubject: Re: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks everyone!

Skatemaster231, I did, but I wanted to use foam tape to mellow out the concave. I believe the griptape will perform as well as the foam tape, but with a little more effort in popping and flicking tricks because skate grip doesn't really 'cling' to your fingers as foam tape does.
Back to top Go down
GrantO
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
GrantO

Setup : Frost G3 Mellow
BRT 2.0
Winkler Wheels Junks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 am

frost g3 mellow=best deck
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/ifing3rb0ard
Chad Spradlin
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Chad Spradlin

Companies : Frost Fingerboards
Setup : Frost G3 Mellow
NoComply wheels
FBS Extra Smooth
TD wide trucks
Riptape tuning

PostSubject: Re: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 12:28 pm

Cool, glad you like it! The concave takes a little time to get used to, but I'm getting a new mold soon with lower concave for people, like you, who may prefer a more mellow concave.

Thanks a ton for the review though! happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.FrostFBS.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review   Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Frost G3 Mellow Review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1