Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalStatus of the worldwide fingerboard scene Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SovietRussiaSam
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SovietRussiaSam

Companies : Fingerboarding and Football

Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene Empty
PostSubject: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 10:30 pm

I've been out of the fingerboard game for a while and haven't really kept up in the last two years and I'm just wondering how is the fingerboard scene doing? I've noticed that mainstream skateboarding has died down where I live (Southern California - one of skateboarding's strongholds) and I couldn't help but wonder if the FB scene has also gone down hill? Or has it gone up hill? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Twest
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Twest

Setup : Main:
-BeastPants
-Brts
-Winklers
-Witchcrafts
-Slim and Catchy

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm from Socal happy I've noticed too that skateboarders here tend to skate for a year or two and then try other things like biking or scooting. As far as fingerboarding goes, I've seen a lot more fingerboarders pop up not only in Socal, but some other places as well. I've been fingerboarding for a couple years, but I've only been in the scene for about a year now, and from what i can tell, i believe its getting better and better. A lot of new awesome companies have popped up. To name a few, Beastpants, Woob, Poli, WC, Private Press, etc. Again that's just a few. A lot of the great companies are still around such as Temple, Pure, Frost, OG, Emanant, Maze, Zink, etc. (Sorry if i forgot to mention anybody) But i have seen some companies close recently. Lowpro just closed, Fingersized just closed, and Nocomply might close. So its hard to tell, we will just have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
SovietRussiaSam
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SovietRussiaSam

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 11:08 pm

The impression I get is that yes, there are a lot of new fingerboard companies, but it still hasn't expanded its presence. There hasn't been any media coverage, mainstream recognition, etc. And I'm not hating obviously as I love to fingerboard, but I'm analyzing this situation very biasedly. An expansion in fingerboarding would mean that average people wouldn't act shocked when they find out the cost of a wooden fingerboard and ask "all that for a piece of wood", large company names like Berlinwood and FlatFace will be recognized by more non-fingerboarders, etc.
Back to top Go down
Twest
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Twest

Setup : Main:
-BeastPants
-Brts
-Winklers
-Witchcrafts
-Slim and Catchy

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Very true ^ It still has yet to be a "normal thing" i guess you could say.
Back to top Go down
João Pedro O
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
João Pedro O

Setup : bwset

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 3:12 am

fingerboarding has this kind of ''waves'' of popularity . by times and times through these years it had ups and downs , i believe it wont die completely
i agree that the scene is not as big as it was couple years ago
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/rodhi7
Gurman
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Gurman

Companies : none.
Setup : Homewood New Mold
Foamy Greatness.
Ytrucks X3
Flatface G6D's

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 am

Yeah, the scene has died a bit, a lot of the forums are near dead, fbhq is the only one alive basically. But the core scene is still intact, with most fingerboarders still doing there thing. I myself have been busy alot this year, and havent been fbing nearly as much as 2011/2012. Im trying to get back into it though, and I feel that by the end of 2014, fingerboarding will regain that popularity it had a couple years back.
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 7:34 am

The online scene has been kinda dying a bit. Companies closing, forums not being active (ie. FFI) however a lot of people are still posting on youtube though not a lot of recognition. The offline scene is booming though as more and more events are surfacing, more stores are being built such as BRR store, Yellowood something and Oaks pateo. The most alive and kicking scene right now is America and Germany as always, UK is also booming right now some new scenes are popping up in Portugal, Singapore and Philippines. They're mostly offline scenes though happy
Back to top Go down
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:05 pm

think about it.. do you want FBing to go full mainstream???
no
then every douchbag will have a fingerboard..
kinda like skateboarding every retard has one and its degenerated by society.
Im glad its stayed in its own little world...
It has grown and will keep growing.. you just gotta see the bigger picture online isn't much.
Back to top Go down
http://brutalfingerboards.bigcartel.com/
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
WantSomeSlaw

Setup : What's a fingerboard?

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Trent Witcher wrote:
think about it.. do you want FBing to go full mainstream???
no
then every douchbag will have a fingerboard..
kinda like skateboarding every retard has one and its degenerated by society.
Im glad its stayed in its own little world...
It has grown and will keep growing.. you just gotta see the bigger picture online isn't much.
I really agree with this. It would be cool for people to stop hating on fingerboarding, but I really don't want to see a bunch of people get into it. I like the scene's current audience happy
Also, 600th post very happy
Back to top Go down
James Johnson
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
James Johnson

Setup : Weca
BRT
JJ
FBS
FF teams

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:47 pm

People will always come and go but I think there will always be a solid community in the worldwide scene. I agree that maybe the online scene isn't as strong as it used to be but fingerboarding is going strong and it will grow in many ways as it will lose things like companies and people.
Back to top Go down
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 2:52 pm

On October 11th, 2009, a small group of terrorists known as the Holdiban, hijacked 2 Boeing 747 aircrafts and slammed them into the Fingerboard Trade Center, knocking both towers down. This partially ruined the finger boarding scene. Even the stock tech deck market went down tremendously. We are all still recovering.
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 3:03 pm

GunnerBoser wrote:
On October 11th, 2009, a small group of terrorists known as the Holdiban, hijacked 2 Boeing 747 aircrafts and slammed them into the Fingerboard Trade Center, knocking both towers down. This partially ruined the finger boarding scene. Even the stock tech deck market went down tremendously. We are all still recovering.
lol. Glad af Holden is gone now very happy
Back to top Go down
KuhPopie
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
KuhPopie

Setup :
my setup seriously does resemble a pickle

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:09 pm

From what I can tell, Europe seems to be better off with the "scene" than the states.

We don't really have much of a scene. In Indiana I know one person with an actual wooden fingerboard.

He was in my engineering class last year and he always had tech decks out. I did as well. I decided to buy a wooden china deck and convinced him to buy one too after letting him try mine out.

Anyway, yeah... Where I live it is impossible to find anyone to fingerboard with.
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Europe has such a strong scene because of how close everything is, with the UK especially!
Within 2-3 hours drive I could easily be at a meetup with any of at least 10 people.

Also, 34mm decks is the current state of the scene.
Back to top Go down
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Danny H wrote:
Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene Ugly_irre

even tho I make 36mm decks lol

they are old skool shape way diff from popsicles..

34mm popsicles wtf
Back to top Go down
deejaydestroy
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
deejaydestroy

Setup :
-woob rlx
-brt wides
-witchcrafts
-oaks

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Trent Witcher wrote:
Danny H wrote:
34mm popsicles wtf
<3 34mm! bounce but wouldnt call it a standard? Im pretty sure 32mm is still most common.
Back to top Go down
Danny H
Admin
Admin
Danny H

Setup : Blosom Split Ply
TNP Tape
Y-Trucks X4
Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:02 pm

deejaydestroy wrote:
Trent Witcher wrote:
Danny H wrote:
34mm popsicles wtf
<3 34mm! bounce but wouldnt call it a standard? Im pretty sure 32mm is still most common.
Haha, nah 33-34's have been popping up for a while now. Just like when 30mm was standard and everyone thought that it was the widest that it could go, then 32mm started popping up.
Berlinwood then released 32's and that's when every other company did the same. Now it's like a competition as to who can make the widest decks O.o Anyway, berlinwood just released 33.5's so it wouldn't surprise me if they were 'standard' this time next year haha.

Last edited by Danny H on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KuhPopie
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
KuhPopie

Setup :
my setup seriously does resemble a pickle

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:10 am

If the standard passes 35 mm I'm officially calling them chode decks.
Back to top Go down
AirfloDave
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
AirfloDave

Companies : Airflo Rails
Setup : BW 30 MM (not 29)
Red BRT's
Blue FF BRR ed.
FBS

FF g14 30mm Airflo Engraved
Yellow BRT's
FF white BRR ed.
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:56 am

I remember when BW extrawides were 30mm and I was having a hard time using them, hell that's skinny now. I still don't ride anything over 30. I refuse to haha.

As far as the topic, I feel the scene is growing so much! I especially noticed this while going on tour this past summer. First stop was near baltimore, MD and it was incredible to see that there was about 15 to 16 people all who didn't travel more than an hour. Most of them were less than half an hour away too, which is incredible. I know people say this a lot, but I really think the scene is moving towards being in person too. I honestly live for events like the rendezvous, or anything smaller really. It definitely keeps my spark for fingerboarding going. I'm not too sure how much I'd do it otherwise. It's still quite active online, though. Also, through owning a company I've received orders to places I didn't think people even knew what a fingerboard was. It's really incredible to think something that's so small on a relative scale is so huge, and we're the ones keeping it alive. There is no bullshit like commercials, billboards, signs, or any mass media form of advertising. It's so great that everyone is capable of sustaining this DIY community without the help of any other big corporate company or something stupid like that. It still humbles me and makes me feel fuzzy inside like that time you got your first puppy when you were 7 and it was so cute. Actually it's not really like that at all, and I'm not really sure where I'm going with this now. I actually am just going to press send now. Peace.
Back to top Go down
http://www.airflorails.com
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:02 am

^^ lmao
yeah the scene is where its at
fuck corporations the system is wack
Back to top Go down
SovietRussiaSam
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
SovietRussiaSam

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 am

I think that people got the wrong idea from what I posted. I never said the fingerboard scene was dying or growing, I just merely wanted to know it's status in comparison to its status a few years ago :3. But I definitely read some neat things.

And to the poster who said he doesn't want fingerboarding to go mainstream - I agree it's cool to be part of something that's not really large but think about the possibilities that arise with a mainstream market and source of revenue. There would be fingerboard products that come around only possible with large funding and audience.
Back to top Go down
Xi
Council
Council
Xi

Setup : Tech Deck Performance Series

Kamelpro 32.5mm Melus deck, Ytrucks X4, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Kamelpro 32.5mm Amble deck, BRTs, Oak RV2V, FBS tape

Homemade freestyle 30mm deck, Ytrucks X3, FlatfacexOak, Ace V3 tape

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 am

Danny H wrote:
I beg to differ.

Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene Z89E4ON
Back to top Go down
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
WantSomeSlaw

Setup : What's a fingerboard?

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 am

Xi wrote:
Danny H wrote:
I beg to differ.

Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene Z89E4ON
lmfao
50mm FTW
Back to top Go down
Bakko
Bakko

Companies : Primitive Decks Co.

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 pm

I remember using diy fingerboards 10yrs before Tech Deck ever hit the market.. very happy
Back to top Go down
Oscar V.
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Oscar V.

Setup :
jrh
brt
wnk
fbs

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 2:07 pm

WTF Xi! First time I've seen one in picture. FB wouldn't reach that size I think cause it's too big for anyone to flip easily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene   Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene Empty

Back to top Go down

Status of the worldwide fingerboard scene

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next