Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalConvert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? Empty
PostSubject: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:38 am

Is there any legit tutorial on how to convert a wider truck 29mm in this case into a small truck 26mm?

I only skate skinny boards which are 26mm wide and I'm interested in getting colored trucks.

I know that china trucks are pretty cheap and come in many colors, but they are too wide. I need them to be 26mm and not 29mm.

I've thought about ripping out the axle then cutting them down and then reinserting the axle back in, but that is pretty hard to do.

Getting colored trucks in a 26mm is such a pain. The only thing that I've come up with is just getting them off of ebay and sometimes they aren't cheap.

I would get them at my local store, but guess what.......THEY DONT HAVE THEM :/

Anyway, any help on this would be great.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Eric_Best
Council
Council
Eric_Best

Setup : catfishbbq, brts, ff wheels, fbs

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Ask Danny Hynam, he did it to brts somehow.
Back to top Go down
keiranclen
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
keiranclen

Setup : Skate grip
OG Deck
TD LB trucks
FF G6 wheels.

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm pretty sure Callum did it and Danny got them from him in a trade tongue

And i think what you said is basically the only way to do it...
Surprised no local stores have 26 mm Tech Decks with coloured trucks, so many Tech Decks have coloured trucks nowadays it's too easy to get them, you must just be very unlucky.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? J9VuKBZ

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Ripping the axles out and shortening the hanger is one way, but if you don't want to do that you could try using black magic?

I'm sure sacrificing a few goats and giving your soul to the one true lord could shorten the hangers.
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Roswell fingerboards. They sell 26 mm colored trucks and you can pick the baseplate and hanger colors and it comes with non bearing wheels and a sheet of grip of your choice.
http://www.roswellsskateboards.com/25mm-fingerboard-trucks/
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 10:39 am

After thinking about this I believe I have the best solution so far.

Buy Allen key screw trucks, the ones where you can take the axles out by unscrewing them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrucks-Chrome-Allen-Performance-Tuned-29mm-WIDE-Trucks-for-wooden-fingerboard-/300777455633?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item4607bbc011

Sand down the sides of the hanger such that 1.5mm are gone from each side with a circular belt sander.

http://www.mile-x.com/Jet-J-41002-belt-disc-sander.aspx

Now just order new Allen screws which are also just 1.5mm shorter.

This way the axle doesn't have to be pulled from the original truck. This also prevents damaging the original axle by bending it or breaking it off inside the hanger.

So yeah, I'm going to order a pair of these Allen trucks and hopefully see if I can't do this. I'll post the results.

peace
Back to top Go down
Turnt
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Turnt

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 10:42 am

O_o

or you could paint some 26mm TD trucks..
Back to top Go down
http://brutalfingerboards.bigcartel.com/
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:02 am

^ for some reason I have not found a paint that is just as good at the paint that comes on stock painted trucks.

If you use spray paint that is just a disaster. Nail polish doesn't work, coloring them with sharpie or markers doesn't work.

Its a special kind of paint that they use and I don't know what its called. All of my attempts to paint trucks have resulted in the trucks looking not so great.

Last edited by Pureskate on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack B.
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Jack B.

Setup : Berlinwood 33.3 Low
Winkler classics
TKY
BRT 2.0 Super Silver
FBS

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 am

Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 am

^ yeah, but I think those roswell trucks are just hand painted techdeck trucks too. I'd have to order one to see the true quality on them.

And I also want to buy a huge pack from china so that way I'm not paying flipping $6 or more for a truck that only cost like 50 cents.
Back to top Go down
Zach
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
Zach

Setup : Weca
Blackriver trucks
Flatface wheels

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:35 am

Use normal paint spray
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

Setup : D͐̏̋̐ͣ̐͊́͂̈́ͨ̏̋ͥ̆͑ͧ͘͜҉̺̙̹̞̗͚̤̻̫̼̳͖͔̩̤̘͇o̚­­̱̰̳̟̟̞̜̖̬̌ͦ͌͂ͦ̎̅ͫ̑͂ͦͩ́̚͢ ̴̮͍̲̖̖̤̯͎͎͋̈́ͫ̂̊̇ͤ̆̓̌ͫ̐ͣͣ̆ͬ͌̚͡y̆ͪͫ̉ͭ̅ͫ͊ͩ́­­̨̛̬̠̰̙̫̮̪̟͈̯̘͎̗́̀o̶̶̘̝͇̜̝͓̞͉̰̫͚ͣ̽̄̀ͅu͗̊­̏­̷̡͙̜̳̠͈͕̹͑̿͌̓̇̽͂̄͋ͯ͂̍ͣ̂̓̀͘̕ ̣̳̭̝̻̣̤̫̣̠̦̙̦̲ͣ͂̃ͦ̑ͦ̃͂ͣ̓̇͒̈͘͠t͒̎ͯ͐͂͛̏̈ͦ̐­­̴̼̖̫̞͔̺ͧͭ̅͊̾ͣ͒́̚̚͘̕h̬̖̙͙̰͖̺͛̾̐̃ͦͪ̏ͧ͌̓͘̕­͙­̟į̶̻͖̠̟͔̟̦̝̜̞̄̇̏̂ͨ̋͂̕͟͝nͨ͌͊̓̆̾͛̏ͬ̑̎̾̚­ͭͮ­̵̌ͫͩ҉̶̵̰̫̩̲͕̱̗͚͇̰ͅk͙̳̳͓̟̝̠̯̝̔ͧͤͩ̾̀͢͢͠­͙̻͙­̻̱̼͖ͅ ͥͫ͒ͧ̏ͯͮ̓ͬͯ̾̽̈̀ͥ́̀͘͠҉͈̩͍͔̲͖͔ț̶̛̛̅͌̋ͬ͌̄͜͞­­͎̜̜̰͙̰̝̝̦̪̜h̸̥͎̰̤̼̱̝̜̭̹͆̾̈̓̌ͮ̎̅̄̅͋̋̔̿̚̕­͖­̱̗̗̪̫̻i̡̩̬̰̹̩͓̩̣̱̗̹͑ͧ̾̿̂̚͟͡ͅs̐ͤͭ̐ͫ͋ͮ́҉­̢͏­̳̦̠͕̠͈̣͕̫͔̫͖͖̹̗̟͢ ̴̠͓̺̩̩̙̬̬͈̼̭̰͖̱̺̣̗̫̉͂ͪ̔̍̀ͫ̀̎̏̔ͯ̌̒̒ͩͧ́i͛͋­­̸̄̂͊͋͗͑͏͙̙͈̦͎̥̰̕s͂̍̑ͫ́̇͌̑̿̒ͦ̓̊͛̚̚̚҉́̕͞͡­̞­̟̣̻̲̜̫̺͉̠̬̥̙̜̪̭ ̧̖͔͕̹ͧ̐ͦ̎̊ͧ̽ͨͦ̒͐̀͞͡ͅaͦͦ̅̐͐ͥ͂̓̋͒̔̄ͣͤ͂͂͆͊ͬ­­̨̛͈̞̪̖͓̣̫̰̠̤̖̠͉̪͔͟ ̡̛̱̦̗̫̯̻͓̭ͦ͒̐̒̆̇̉̀p̡ͤͮ͛ͫ͋̽̄̎̑͑̈̉̒͛̎͋̿ͮ̓͠­­͏͚̮̖͖̫̦͙͎̭̜͇̺̻̩̹̕r̴̵̡̟͖̫̝̘̜̝͇̙̦̍̆̃́ͦ̚͘͢­̝­̪̞o̷̧͔̪͙͓͔͓̞̘̺̟͇̳͎̦̩̣̻̩ͮ̅͊̉̽̄̍̋͐ͥ̓́͐̚͢­͓b­̡̥̞̳̙̠̞̘͉̼̤̘̝ͨͣ͌ͥͤ̍̓ͩ́̈́ͨ̅̓ͧ̅͢lͭ̿͂͛̄͐̈­͗̑̓­ͭ͆̉͋ͩ̿̋̇͡͡͞҉͔̼̻̣̝̜̭̖͕̙͈͓̖ͅeͣ̂ͭͤ͑̏ͬͨ̓­҉̨̖͞­̼̹͉̹͈ͅm̛͛ͦ̾̉̋́̊͐͐̂̐̎̄ͯͤ̚҉̡̻̳̤̥̪͎̹͜ͅ­͔͉̝͍̫­͖̺͓̬͙?̥̣̼͇̟̰̙͉̜̌̊̔ͬ̔̊ͩ̍̂̐̂͐̌̋ͩͩ͛́͡­̦̟̥̬̩͕

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 4:55 pm

If you really want to paint your 26 mm trucks, use nail polish. Looks great and its easy to apply.

EDIT: I think the painted TD trucks are powder coated so in theory, you could get some powder coating supplies and use an oven that you won't be using to cook food anymore to powder coat your TD trucks so that they are the color you want them to be. But then again, that would be a bit dangerous so if you really wanted to, you could.

Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 8:44 pm

@skatemaster231, yeah that is the right idea. That effect is what I'm wanting. Wonder how much it would cost though shocked.
Back to top Go down
skatemaster231

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 am

Look for a place that does powder coating? It will probably be a heck a lot cheaper as the gun needed to spray the powder on is at least 100 dollars for a cheap one.
Back to top Go down
thatfingaboardguy119
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
thatfingaboardguy119

Companies : dank decks

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 11:28 pm

theres alot of people who powdercoat and would probably do some trucks for cheap. try a auto body shop maybe? im not sure.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/thatfingaboardguy119
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Okay, I just tried it.

It was... pretty much a success!

The hanger of the truck you see in the pic was sanded on both sides to match that of a 26mm truck. It's pretty close too, but I may have made like 1 side like 1mm to short.

Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? P5110274_zps07338238

The axle screws were snipped with wire cutters to make them shorter as well.

For future trucks I would like to make some kind of template to make the process much more automatic and so I don't have to overshoot or undershoot the sanding.

I'm thinking about having a small piece of wood and screw a normal tech deck truck on it with the axles removed and then screw on the 29mm truck and then take it to a belt sander and then just sand down until both trucks are flush with the sander.
Back to top Go down
Toasty
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Toasty

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 10:59 pm

Sounds like it would work, but there's the risk of messing up your hangar. Also I think the paint you want is enamel. It's tough and has a glossy finish when dried.
Back to top Go down
Flippedoutfb
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Flippedoutfb

Companies : FingerPrintRamps.
Setup : 32mm yellowwood wasp deck,Ytruck32mm x4 ed whitecolor with oak acid green wheels.derik j handmade 32mm deck with brr32mm trucks ff brr edition wheels.30mm,Yellowood dl headset graphic,blackriver trucks,FF G7O dual wheels.THose are my main 3 sets at the moment.

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:53 am

Do u. Live in the states I think I still have some old 26mm painted tds trucks I would just give them to you if you want them think I have black red yellow And maybe purple. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
Daloof
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Daloof

Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 7:41 am

Flippedoutfb wrote:
Do u. Live in the states I think I still have some old 26mm painted tds trucks I would just give them to you if  you want them think I have black red yellow And maybe purple. Let me know.
Hey man, good to see you still posting around here. I was wondering where you went.

But Pureskate:

Why on earth would you convert when you could just find an old tech deck? Lol
Back to top Go down
Pureskate
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Pureskate

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:25 am

^ Colored techdeck trucks sometimes are hard to find and are expensive.

I only ride 26mm decks so I wanted a cheap alternative to get some colored trucks.

If you go online to ebay and type in "tech deck truck" so can see just how much people are charging for colored td trucks. Many times they are $14 and $19 a piece!!!

This is a crazy amount of money considering that china bulk trucks are like 50 cents each. :0

But the problem is that these china trucks are 29mm so I need to convert them to 26mm. I though about ripping the axles out, but thanks to these Allen key trucks I can just screw out the axle screws and sand down the hanger. Snip the original screws and just like fingerboard magic I have a ride-able set of trucks.

I do not want to paint regular td trucks because I can't find a paint that works just like the original paint that they have in a td package.

Powder coating is probably the best thing I can think of to painting them, but with china's at 50 cents a piece this has to be the cheapest way of going about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?   Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks? Empty

Back to top Go down

Convert 29mm trucks to 26mm trucks?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1