Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalkick flip and 360 flip query.  Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

kick flip and 360 flip query.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

Setup : Woob & Brutal

kick flip and 360 flip query.  Empty
PostSubject: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone else encountered this problem when they first started fingerboarding.

Basically 9 times out of 10 when I goto do kickflips the deck always turns 90° front side, I know it's something I'm doing wrong because the times that I do pull off a nice clean flip it feels right, if that makes sense, but I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong which is starting to annoy me as I've been practicing for a couple months now and still can't get them nailed the way I want them.

I've watched several trick tip videos but I'm still stuck.

And tre flips, all the guides I've watched talk about how your front finger should cause the board to do the flip while you scoop with the back, well when I'm trying them the board is rotating 360, and it's also flipping too, sometimes it flips twice, but it all happens so fast that I'm not sure if the deck is flipping heel or kick side, but this is the thing my front finger isn't 'clipping' the side of the nose as I scoop at all, it isn't even touching the deck at all I don't think, it's like it's all happening with my back finger, anyone else do tre flips like this?

I don't have a decent video camera only my phone, so I don't know how I can record any footage and slow it down so I can see exactly what my decks are doing during tres.

Any help would be appreciated folks.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
sabuto
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
sabuto

Companies : GOBSHITE CLOTHING
Setup : DK Deck S5, BRT Wide Silvers, WitchCraft Teal's + FF Team Editions, Oak Royal Blues, Black Jesus Tape

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm

kickflip are probably because you are pulling your hand outwards as you 'flick' try flicking up towards the concave more than out.

As for Tre's yeah you never really feel the front finger on a tre flip, i cant feel it when i do em on my board either aha
Back to top Go down
SiCar
SiCar

Companies : Cartwheels

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 2:42 pm

every time you do a kickflip, try and do it a little bit backside. just counteract your problem.

tres' are an interest beast. Let them come naturally.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cartwheels.bigcartel.com
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks guys, regarding tre flips, as I said everything is happening so quickly that I am not entirely sure what's going on, sometimes it pops up and does it's thing and I land them, then other times it feels as if something is going on with my back finger where it almost feels like the deck is doing the rotation and flip around my rear finger, that probably doesn't make sense, it's just the way tres feel sometimes.

Thanks again though, I'm still a total noob learning tricks on a flat surface, and I've got a box that's nice for grinding and sliding, but I can't flip into grinds/slides at all yet.

I'm going to make my first proper rail soon from a long drawer handle, I'd like to get my flip tricks down so I can pull off some cool tricks, I guess it'll come with practice just like real skating.

Does anyone else feel similar frustration in the mind as you would when you're learning new tricks on a real skateboard, I find it does this to me anyway.
Back to top Go down
Concept
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Concept

Setup : Weca Pineapple
TDLB
White Oak Mini's
White beta bushings
Creamy Goo

Brutal 'Bomb Shape'
Rasta Ytrucks
White Oaks
Red beta bushings
Creamy Goo

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 12:40 am

Enternamehere wrote:

Does anyone else feel similar frustration in the mind as you would when you're learning new tricks on a real skateboard, I find it does this to me anyway.

Absolutely. I can totally empathise. I'm learning switch Ollie's at the moment and it's painfully frustrating.

I can now do a proper, clean kickflip pretty consistently, but I've been FBing 2 years on and off and I'm only just landing kickflip to grinds. The key is catching it midair, which means the flip needs to be done at the peak of your jump.

That and practice!
Back to top Go down
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm getting there with all the practice I've put in, but I still can't get that 'perfect' feeling that I get sometimes neither, I'd like to be able to do them with that same feel each time, much like an actual skateboard.

Regarding my tre flips, it is my back finger that does everything, I noticed earlier, after I scoop the board round, when it's at about 90 degrees round my rear finger clips the edge of the deck causing it to do the flip.

I'm not sure if the camera on my phone will be good enough to record or not (HTC One M7), I'll give it a try to show you how I'm doing tre flips.

The board is doing a full 360 degree rotation, and it's also flipping as well, but it's definitely my rear finger that does everything, my front finger just gets lifted off the deck as I pop and scoop.

:edit:

Can anyone help me out with getting the board to rotate front and backside once you Ollie?

Sometimes it happens but I don't know what I'm doing to make it happen, I want to be able to roll up to my box, pop then go into nose and tail slides but I'm struggling.

I can get nose slides sometimes but I can't pop up into tail slides at all, it only ever happens through luck, I'm rolling into the box front side if that's any help.
Back to top Go down
Concept
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
Concept

Setup : Weca Pineapple
TDLB
White Oak Mini's
White beta bushings
Creamy Goo

Brutal 'Bomb Shape'
Rasta Ytrucks
White Oaks
Red beta bushings
Creamy Goo

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Practice fs and bs board slides first? Or 180s?
Back to top Go down
Dave
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
Dave

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Still can't get them down perfectly yet, but I made a rail, and because the board rotates when I flip it's perfect for flipping into board slides on my rail.

There are times where I do both tre and kickflips on a flat surface, and the whole motion of the trick has this 'perfect' feel to it, and the motion of the trick looks flawless, but I can't figure out what it is that I'm doing to make it feel this way, and it only happens now and again, I suppose if I just continue to practice the way I have been, they'll eventually come to me just like ollies, and ollieing into different grinds/slides.

It seems to be easier for me to do kickflips when I'm popping off the rail from a 50/50.

I do practice quite a lot, and I'm definitely seeing an improvement overall, I'll be well happy once I've properly mastered kickflips and tres though, as I think they look awesome when they're done into grinds and slides.

I'm keeping an eye on eBay for Blackriver obstacles, as I've seen quite a few folk selling ramps, fun boxes and various other obstacles for a good price, I find it's better if you have stuff there to practice doing tricks onto, I have a long rectangular storage box as well as the rail for doing stuff on, but I'd like things that have been made for fingerboarding.

If I can't find anyone selling Blackriver or similar style ramps, then I reckon I could have a good crack at making my own stuff as long as I had the right tools and materials.

How long did it take some of you guys to get these tricks perfected, do you get to a stage like with the Ollie where they just come naturally, or are they always going to be difficult?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kick flip and 360 flip query.    kick flip and 360 flip query.  Empty

Back to top Go down

kick flip and 360 flip query.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1