Fingerboard HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalWhat is Christmas all about? - Page 2 Untitl12Rules + New Members FAQLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is Christmas all about?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

Setup : What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 J9VuKBZ

What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:25 pm

LMAO Danny.

Darian, what i have said are historical facts. It's not something based on my religious beliefs. I would have said the same thing if i was christian.

Back to top Go down
Fingerboarder411
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
Fingerboarder411

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Simon_Quigley wrote:
Fingerboarder411 wrote:
Christmas to me is about getting together with family and close friends and having a good time. Giving and Getting. It's not only about receiving gifts but it's about having the heart to buy somebody a gift with your own money. It is also about spending family time and having some good food. Some people believe in Jesus. But others don't but some still celebrate it even if they're atheist. Merry Christmas!

well said

Forgot to add something;

It's also about have good food! happy
Back to top Go down
DarianN
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
DarianN

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Mikkel S wrote:
LMAO Danny.

Darian, what i have said are historical facts. It's not something based on my religious beliefs. I would have said the same thing if i was christian.

That's why I was getting at. I prefer to believe in my faith over historical facts, at times. Sometimes I disagree with something's I'm supposed to believe in and go with science.
Edit: i just re read your post. We all believe in different things, thats a fact.

Last edited by DarianN on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Simon_Quigley
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Simon_Quigley

Setup : finga blue graphic
wides
labs
china

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 pm

then please enlighten me on how mary got preggers
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 pm

DarianN wrote:
Mikkel S wrote:
LMAO Danny.

That's why I was getting at. I prefer to believe in my faith over historical facts, at times. Sometimes I disagree with something's I'm supposed to believe in and go with science.
Edit: i just re read your post. We all believe in different things, thats a fact.

But you can believe in both dude.. Your religion does not say that the things i said were untrue.

Before christianity existed in europe the people there celebrated winter solstice. When the countries became christian they thought having two holydays would be too much, so they celebrated christmas but kept some of their old traditions.
Back to top Go down
DarianN
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
DarianN

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Simon_Quigley wrote:
then please enlighten me on how mary got preggers
Simon. You are very ignorant. It's all in the bible. We believe that Mary is a Virgin. God gave her an assignment for a lack of words. To conceive Jesus. She never had sex. She died pure. I can't really explain it that well, if you're legitamently curious, read the bible. If not, then move on.
Back to top Go down
DarianN
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
DarianN

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Sorry for the double post.
Mikkel, I know you can believe in both. But what I'm saying is TO ME that isn't Christmas. It's was a different holiday. I celebrate it on the Romans did. Hence Roman Catholic. Until their empire corrupted offcourse.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Yea.. My whole point is that you can't really be mad about atheists and non-christian people celebrating christmas, cause the tradition is far older than christianity.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

Companies : Mars Hill Fingerboarding
Setup : Compiny 33.5 Final Test Deck
ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions
Substance Single Bearings

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Okay; Simon, Jesus was a historical figure. He's mentioned in two non-Christian histories (Tacitus and Josephus). All the gospels were written within 80 years of his death by people who lived with him for three years. He preached to thousands at a time. 11 apostles (his disciples) died martyrs deaths, and the 12 apostle was boiled alive and then exiled to Patmos to work hard labour at the age of 90. As for Halloween, it has Celtic roots, but the holiday you know today is Christian.

Mikkel, the holiday was repurposed in the 300 by the Roman emperor when Christianity became the empire's official religion. It was done so that pagans would mind less.

The major Christian holiday isn't even Christmas anyway. It's Easter. People just celebrate Christmas on a larger scale because of the consumeristic aspect.

Last edited by SeamusMcFlurry on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Exactly Chris. But still, if there had been no christianity people would celebrate "christmas" the old school way wink
Back to top Go down
Simon_Quigley
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Simon_Quigley

wides
labs
china

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:45 pm

wow.. boiled alive?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Probably not, but only because the religion would've died out. Fundamentally I agree with you on that though happy

EDIT: Paul (who wrote most of the New Testament) spent his early life killing and imprisoning Christians. He then became a Christian on the road to Damascus. He was scourged (whipped with a leather thing covered in stones; this alone often ripped bits of the rib age out), imprisoned, continued to preach Christ, then finally was put into house arrest in Rome and beheaded 3 years later.

Peter (one of Jesus' disciples, and the source of Mark's gospel) was told he would be killed if he didn't leave the city he was in. He got to the gates, went back, was captured and crucified upside down.

Thomas was thrown off the roof of the Temple, then when he survived that he was speared. He was also a disciple (doubtingThomas).

Now...these are the guys who lived with him (Paul excluded).

As a side note, do people actually know what crucifixion entailed?

Last edited by SeamusMcFlurry on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DarianN
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
DarianN

Mikkel S wrote:
Exactly Chris. But still, if there had been no christianity people would celebrate "christmas" the old school way wink
Or people just wouldn't celebrate it at all except for some Europeans.
Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Mikkel S

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Yea.. All I'm saying is that christmas is not only for christians. It's a mix up of various traditions from all over the world. Also, i'm not sure about this, but is the name directly related to christ in other languages than english?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:51 pm

That is a good question. I might have a look later. Love geeking up on stuff (in case you hadn't noticed... :p)
Back to top Go down
kerryDETH
Admin
Admin
kerryDETH

Companies : Fingerboarding, Skateboarding
Setup : Blosom 32.5mm
BRT Wides
Witchcraft Teals
Flatface BRR Ed.
Ace Tape

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Mikkel S wrote:
Yea.. All I'm saying is that christmas is not only for christians. It's a mix up of various traditions from all over the world. Also, i'm not sure about this, but is the name directly related to christ in other languages than english?

I must concur with mikkel for most of this, although perhaps he could have been a little nicer calling darian an idiot. I share mikkel's disbelief of catholicism, but 'to each their own' happy

ANYWAY.. very true point on the naming.

Scandinavia calls it things like 'jul' (swedish) or similar. Nothing to do with christ. Germany and other germanic languages call it things related to weinachten (german. also maybe spelt wrong, I forget). which means something night. French and I believe many of the other romance languages call it noel, which also doesn't appear to have any direct link to christ's name.

Christmas is originally a celebration of the winter solstice, or at least what christmas originated from - the history of european religious changes is what changed it to a christian holiday, as people have stated. happy

Also danny... lmao <3
Back to top Go down
Noel
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Noel

Companies : Flatface my ass

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Last time religion was argued someone got banned.... Christmas for me is the birth of Jesus. But when I wad younger it was a say when I got prsents from Santa..... Now I get nothing...
Back to top Go down
Simon_Quigley
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Simon_Quigley

wides
labs
china

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 pm

nothing? :O
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Noel wrote:
Last time religion was argued someone got banned.... Christmas for me is the birth of Jesus. But when I wad younger it was a say when I got prsents from Santa..... Now I get nothing...

...dude... :O
Back to top Go down
Boffey
Boffey

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Yeah, Christmas comes from the pagan celebration of the winter solstice, which is an astrological event to do with the earths position relative to the sun, im not too sure on it.

But anyway, alot of religious celebrations are based off astrological events that even ancient civilizations first noticed, Christmas being an example.
It is nothing but a tradition that started long before Christianity existed. The christian religion just adopted it and called it Christmas, and made a cute, yet retarded, story about a 'magical' child that was born to a virgin mother who was impregnated by an imaginary being.

Wiki page about the winter solstice:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice

Last edited by Boffey on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Boffey, we can talk history if you like?

The nativity, for example, predates 'Christmas" by two hundred years. And all the people who preached the virgin birth died horrible deaths. Jesus believed his own virgin birth (it was prophesied by Isiah, and Jesus stated he was to fulfil the prophets), and ended up having nails driven into the nerve bundles of his hands and left to die hanging on a piece of wood for 9 hours.

Last edited by SeamusMcFlurry on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thom McInally
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
Thom McInally

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Christmas is ultimately about light in the darkest of time of the year, to Christians that means the birth of Jesus.

Darian, you are being truly ignorant.

I was raised Catholic, and to take the bible as word for word is stupid. The bible is the easiest way to become Atheist, and that is what I am now.
Back to top Go down
Boffey
Boffey

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Not mad into history,
Just makes me laugh how millions of people believe stories that are blatant astrological metaphors.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMcFlurry
Supporter
Supporter
SeamusMcFlurry

ACE V3
BRT Wides Jack Black
FF Team Editions

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Thom McInally wrote:

I was raised Catholic, and to take the bible as word for word is stupid. The bible is the easiest way to become Atheist, and that is what I am now.

How so? To look at this from a Christian point of view, the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. The New Testament is historically accurate (it's more likely that Jesus existed than Julius Caeser or Shakespere), and the Old Testament is still used to find ancient civilisations (not to mention the miracles which are also noted in other civilisations histories, such as the plagues and the parting of the Red Sea...
Back to top Go down
Simon_Quigley
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
Simon_Quigley

wides
labs
china

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:20 pm

but shakespere left a mark on the modern world eg. new words, the globe, plays that everyone knows are real.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Christmas all about?   What is Christmas all about? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What is Christmas all about?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next